Recreating magic for the Olympic season | Golden Skate

Recreating magic for the Olympic season

AnalyticalMind

Rinkside
Now that the next competitive skate will be at the Olympics (!!!), I thought it would be a good time to reflect back on this and previous Olympic season programs. Often, a team creates a masterpiece of a program on an non-Olympic year, and they attempt to recreate that magic for the Olympic year. This time, we've had a lot of repeat programs, but what are some successful instances of recreating the magic from previous programs in a new program for the Olympic season?

NOT including repeat programs, obviously, but OK to include skaters who didn't end up making the Olympic team. Bonus for older programs that I might not have known about. :) [And this disclaimer should apply to all threads but please don't just list your fave's program that has nothing to do with this prompt... e.g., Yuna Kim's programs were BRILLIANT, but I think her 2010 programs were both pretty unique.]

Off the top of my head, I think Satoko's Madama Butterfly is brilliant in this regard because it captures both the gentleness of her 2016 Un Sospiro FS and the power of her 2015 Miss Saigon FS. The only other example that came to mind was Sasha Cohen's 2006 Dark Eyes SP as capturing the power and showiness of her 2004 Malaguena SP, but then I realized that she skated to it in 2005 as well.

An unsuccessful attempt in my mind is Yuzuru's Romeo and Juliet 2.0. Thematically, it was the same as his 2012 FS, but to me, it didn't capture the raw wildness that the original had (which maybe only worked because of his youth at the time?).

Roast Toast

Medalist
Interesting thread! As far as repeat/retooled programs go, Carolina's Debussy free skate is almost completely different, so I think it qualifies. Here is the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elDpqKUPt9U

That program had one of my favourite step sequences of hers (starting at 3:23, right after her spiral sequence), so I was really happy that she decided to revisit it. The new program imo showcases what makes Caro so unique -- her grace, her long lines, her carriage across the ice... It also has a stronger sense of "identity" than the old version; it acknowledges Nijinsky's choreography more directly. Even though Caro is still a hot mess and still likely to bomb the new program, this used to be a bit of a restless one for her while this year she is back (in my eyes) to the same sense of serenity that she showed with Ave Maria. I think the Olympic audience, even without our background, will easily understand what makes her... shall we say, special? :biggrin: when it comes to scores.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I think the energy and charismatic powers of Jason Brown's Hamilton SP perfectly capture his 2014 Riverdance program :)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the energy and charismatic powers of Jason Brown's Hamilton SP perfectly capture his 2014 Riverdance program :)

Respectfully, very respectfully, but completely disagree.

In 2014, Riverdance was wonderful, a fresh faced boy making a splash at Senior Nationals. It was magnificent and joyful.

By 2018, Hamilton just wasn't nuanced or mature enough for my tastes. It had a distinct "been there, done that" vibe to it.

Jason is capable of so much more, as his masterpiece of a LP demonstrated this season. As a SP, Hamilton didn't let him show his artistic and emotional growth.

What did Hamilton have to offer that Juke didn't already deliver?

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Respectfully, very respectfully, but completely disagree.

In 2014, Riverdance was wonderful, a fresh faced boy making a splash at Senior Nationals. It was magnificent and joyful.

By 2018, Hamilton just wasn't nuanced or mature enough for my tastes. It had a distinct "been there, done that" vibe to it.

Jason is capable of so much more, as his masterpiece of a LP demonstrated this season. As a SP, Hamilton didn't let him show his artistic and emotional growth.

What did Hamilton have to offer that Juke didn't already deliver?

I can see that. I didn't start watching until after Juke so I've never seen it, but I think my love of Hamilton hyped me up for this program. You haven't convinced me or changed my mind but I see it :)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One obvious attempt to recreate the magic is the Shibs.

I think of it as the Godfather series. Godfather and Godfather Part II were both masterpiece movies. It's really difficult to decide which one is better. Although I still enjoyed the movie, Godfather III wasn't in the same league.

That's kind of the way I feel about Coldplay. The third time around just doesn't stand up.

Full transparency: I want to caveat this one by saying that I've gone Full On Hubbell and Donohue Bandwagon this season... and I don't know if that's colored my view of the Shibs' program or not.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker

I think of it as the Godfather series. Godfather and Godfather Part II were both masterpiece movies. It's really difficult to decide which one is better. Although I still enjoyed the movie, Godfather III wasn't in the same league.

That's kind of the way I feel about Coldplay. The third time around just doesn't stand up.

Full transparency: I want to caveat this one by saying that I've gone Full On Hubbell and Donohue Bandwagon this season... and I don't know if that's colored my view of the Shibs' program or not.
dang it if you hadn't included the caveat I could have said I completely agreed but nope...

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
dang it if you hadn't included the caveat I could have said I completely agreed but nope...

Well, you can agree with the main part of the post without having to be FOHDB. :)

Edit: FOHDB = Full On Hubble and Donohue Bandwagon

I think we need a emoji for FOHDB, perhaps two smiley faces looking lustfully at each other.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Does Papadakis/Cizeron's Moonlight Sonata count as trying to recapture the magic when the magic has continued for several seasons?

(In any case, I think I have a couple unpopular opinions-- last year's FD was my favorite for both P/C and the Shibutanis... didn't entirely get the hype about Fix You but loved Evolution. I don't love Paradise as much as I love Evolution, but I still find it very enjoyable. As for P/C, there was something really spontaneous and exciting about Stillness/Oddudua, maybe because I'd never heard any of the music before, while with Moonlight Sonata I find it very beautiful but not as emotionally engaging, personally)

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Does anyone remember Phillippe Candeloro and Rocky? How many times did he do it? Son of Rocky, Rocky Part 42.... You get the idea.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone remember Phillippe Candeloro and Rocky? How many times did he do it? Son of Rocky, Rocky Part 42.... You get the idea.

:laugh:

And I do remember Toller, God bless him, saying that Elvis Stojko had one program, Rambo, Son of Rambo and Rambo’s grandkids, or words to that effect.

I’m not saying I agree, but I do know that was his opinion.;)

AnalyticalMind

Rinkside

Oh yeah, that was the other example that I was planning on including on my negatives list. Similar to Hanyu's R&J 2.0 thematically the same, but the end-effect was very different. There was something magical about that build into the final chorus in Fix You that's completely missing from the new programs, which are more atmospheric à-la-P/C 2015-17. (Or maybe they were trying to combine the atmospheric style of their Evolution program with the modern appeal of Coldplay, in which case I guess it would be a success.)

Oh I completely disagree on this one. Riverdance was Jason-Brown-brand youthful exuberance with kind of a nostalgia towards old skating programs, whereas the Hamilton I feel like was trying a bit too hard to be "current" and "cool".

Does Papadakis/Cizeron's Moonlight Sonata count as trying to recapture the magic when the magic has continued for several seasons?

To me, it doesn't in that they've had "magic" for years running but Moonlight Sonata is both classical and with a lot of dynamic range (i.e., the slow plaintiveness of the first movement going into the rapid arpeggios of the third), whereas they kind of floated through their more modern, atmospheric programs.

I guess the disclaimer applies that I'm talking about teams that created a non-Olympic program that matches a skater(s) and a style well, and instead of repeating it, decided to choreograph a new program (of a similar character) that brings out those same strengths in the skaters.

(I'm a fan of all of the above-mentioned skaters, but I guess this disclaimer is worth making so that it's not just a general all-skater fan-fest ;))