Riedell Blade Sizing… | Golden Skate

Riedell Blade Sizing…

lyssx

Rinkside
So my risport boots are toast, and I ended up going to a better fitter this time around so I could try a wider variety of brands. Since starting skating as an adult, I’ve grown some killer bunions and the Risports are getting harder to fit into around my toes. They’re still mostly comfortable, and the length is still good, but my foot shape is changing and a little wider near the ball.

Was fitted for Riedell Vegas, which claim that they have a similar heel height and size to the other brands. I LOVED them. First boots I’ve ever tried that feel like they’re made for me. I know the other Riedell boots tend to need a longer blade to accommodate the lower heel, but supposedly the Vega and Elara are meant to be closer.

Only, when I look at their recommended blade length online… it’s a whole half an inch longer than what I have now! I wasn’t planning on needing new blades too. My boot size really didn’t change much - it’s comparatively the same size based on measurements, and when I compare the Vega to my risport, it doesn’t look any longer. It seems crazy to me that it would need a blade size TWO sizes up. One size might make sense, and I actually have an old set that didn’t get much use in that size…

Is their chart accurate? Could I get away with a quarter of an inch difference? Any opinions?

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
So my risport boots are toast, and I ended up going to a better fitter this time around so I could try a wider variety of brands. Since starting skating as an adult, I’ve grown some killer bunions and the Risports are getting harder to fit into around my toes. They’re still mostly comfortable, and the length is still good, but my foot shape is changing and a little wider near the ball.

Was fitted for Riedell Vegas, which claim that they have a similar heel height and size to the other brands. I LOVED them. First boots I’ve ever tried that feel like they’re made for me. I know the other Riedell boots tend to need a longer blade to accommodate the lower heel, but supposedly the Vega and Elara are meant to be closer.

Only, when I look at their recommended blade length online… it’s a whole half an inch longer than what I have now! I wasn’t planning on needing new blades too. My boot size really didn’t change much - it’s comparatively the same size based on measurements, and when I compare the Vega to my risport, it doesn’t look any longer. It seems crazy to me that it would need a blade size TWO sizes up. One size might make sense, and I actually have an old set that didn’t get much use in that size…

Is their chart accurate? Could I get away with a quarter of an inch difference? Any opinions?
What does your boot fitter say?

lyssx

Rinkside
What does your boot fitter say?
We have not talked blades yet. I’d rather buy them online because everything from this fitter is being marked up like 2-300 dollars… I did buy the boots from them but was a little shocked when I went home and looked at the price.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
We have not talked blades yet. I’d rather buy them online because everything from this fitter is being marked up like 2-300 dollars… I did buy the boots from them but was a little shocked when I went home and looked at the price.
I would suggest asking the fitter what size blade is appropriate, but then saying you'll have to hold off on buying new blades until you can afford them. If there's another skate shop near where you live, you could take the boots to them and ask them for a second opinion on the blade size. Or send a query to the customer service department of the blade company, faxing them a tracing of the sole of the boot. Or ask your coach. Several ways to get a variety of opinions to compare, from people who actually see your boots and the blades in question. Good luck!

IceM

Rinkside
If you have the boots, you can measure the length of the sole (from toe to the end of the heel, end to end) and compare it to your old Risports. Is it really 1/2'' longer? If so, then yes, you need 2 sizes bigger blade.

You can also just walk into a skateshop with the boots and ask some blades to try them on the sole. If I had new boots I didn't know the exact correct size for, I would do this anyways, just to confirm the size before buying the new blades (blade charts are not always entirely accurate).

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Measure the sole of the boot and take it from there. Some people like blades to fit end to end, others like them to have 1/4" of space behind the heel. Totally personal preference. Only by measuring the soles of the boots will you know whether your blades will fit or not.