Sarah Hughes on CNBC | Golden Skate

Sarah Hughes on CNBC

sk8 star

Spectator
She is going to be on CNBC tonight. What other skater can do that? I am so impressed with what has become of her! She is a lovely young lady with tons of ambition and drive. We will continue to see a lot of amazing things from her.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Yes, you are right no other 'skater' can do that. Only that she is a 'former skater'. She hasn't been skating since she started her freshmen year.

sk8 star

Spectator
I stand corrected

No other skater or "former" skater - at least recent (10 yrs) would know what CNBC even was.

thvudragon

On the Ice
Re: I stand corrected

sk8 star said:
No other skater or "former" skater - at least recent (10 yrs) would know what CNBC even was.
:rolleye: Yes, because skaters live in their own little world.

I'm still quite :confused: at your assumption.

Lucy25

Final Flight
Sarah said that she hopes one day to skate and take classes. She didn't say when she would be skating again, but she did mention that one day she could be competing against her sister. So, eligible skating appears to be a possibility to her. I personally would be amazed if this were to happen. Sarah has not skated in a year. She has no coach. She is obviously not in any kind of skating shape. I would love to see her compete again, but I just don't see it realistically happening.

dizzydi

On the Ice
Here's what I got from the interview. First of all, Sarah is such an intelligent and poised young woman. Her interview was terrific.

It doesn't appear to me that Sarah intends to return to competitive skating anytime soon but she hasn't ruled out the possibility in the future. When asked about her sister, Emily, Sarah indicated that her family is very proud of her. Sarah wished her sister success and said that maybe someday they would compete against each other but it was said in light-hearted manner.

My take on her future is that Sarah seems to be very serious about her education but hasn't eliminated skating all together.

What really impressed me was her answers when asked about "giving up so much money". She seems more concerned about her ability to earn a living in the future and contributing something important to society.

Also, Sarah explained her approach to skating at the Olympic Games and how she was there to skate her best but not necessarily win. I've always thought the lack of pressure to win played a big part in her success that night of the long program.

I was so very impressed with her maturity and feel she represents the ideal athlete. She is truly the ultimate example of an Olympic Gold medalist.

Dizzy

mzheng

Record Breaker
dizzydi said:

My take on her future is that Sarah seems to be very serious about her education but hasn't eliminated skating all together.
Dizzy

Good for her. I always respect her on acadmy achievement.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
dizzydi said:
I was so very impressed with her maturity and feel she represents the ideal athlete. She is truly the ultimate example of an Olympic Gold medalist.

I didn't see the interview, but I also have always been impressed with her maturity. She appears to be a driven, strong young lady. I have no doubt that she will go far in all that she does. I think it's wonderful that she's pursuing her education. I personally can't imagine keeping up the motivation to stay an elite skater for years. That's just me, though, and I get bored easily. I wish her the best.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
dizzydi: "Also, Sarah explained her approach to skating at the Olympic Games and how she was there to skate her best but not necessarily win. I've always thought the lack of pressure to win played a big part in her success that night of the long program.
"

The pressure to win was really dissipated almost entirely when she finished in 4th place in the SP. With the top two competitors (Kwan and Slutskaya) placing above her, Sarah had no real expectation that either or both of them might falter in the FS. When she got out on the ice, she had nothing to lose.

I had always found her skating to be too tight and controlled to be exciting, until that night. She really let her inhibitions loose and shocked everyone, including herself and Robin. She said as she left the ice "I never skated like that before in my life!".

I think that was a hard act to beat, and still is, maybe for Sarah, too.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Good post, Chuckm. That is how I have always looked at what took place in SLC that night. Sarah had the pressure taken off, but then again she was also angry. She had performed very well at Nationals (7 triple performance) and only managed bronze. Then, she puts down another solid skate in the SLC SP and gets low 5's for technical merit. She was pissed. It seemed all of these factors helped to give Sarah the perfect mindset as she stepped out onto that Olympic ice for her long program.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Re: Re: Sarah Hughes on CNBC

tharrtell said:
That's just me, though, and I get bored easily.

Um, aren't you a triathelete?!? Talk about determination, perseverance and repetition! I find it hard to believe you get bored easily by anything!