Sasha Cohen Moves Back to California, Will Train with Former Coach John Nicks | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen Moves Back to California, Will Train with Former Coach John Nicks

Vash01

Medalist
thisthingcalledlove said:
If she really wants jumps, I'd send her packing off to Japan...to Yamada. That woman can teach jumps.

I love this idea! Send her to Japan!

"In the long run, his contribution to the sport will far overshadow hers... --Linny"
"I think that is true about most great coaches. Their influence is potentially far more lasting, even if their names are next to forgotten." -- Ptichka
In addition to his long success as a coach, John Nicks was also a pretty fair skater in his own right. He won 4 Worlds medals, including the 1953 World Championship, skating pairs with his sister Jennifer.

In 1993 he was inducted into the U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame, and in 2000 into to World Figure Skating Hall of Fame (representing Great Britiain).

I just found yet another nespaper article on this story.

World skate champ Cohen reunites with ex-coach

"COLORADO SPRINGS (Colorado): Reigning world women’s figure skating champion Sasha Cohen announced here on Wednesday she has moved back to California and reunited with former coach John Nicks. Cohen, who left Nicks for coach Robin Wagner one year ago, departed on good terms with Wagner but will train with Nicks for next month’s US Figure Skating Championships...."

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_24-12-2004_pg10_5

So there you have it.

Mathman

Last edited:

jesslily

Final Flight
Whatever contract they signed is between them, and they wouldn't let you know the details. I don't think that both John Nicks and Sasha Cohen just want to work 3 weeks for Nationals. They had worked together for 7 or 8 years, this time they could work for another 7 or 8 years.

When Sasha was with John Nicks she did not have a flutz or a weird change of edge before the flip. This only developed with TT and Robin Wagner. Sasha's programs with John Nicks did not have back to back lutzes and had 2 double axels.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
She isn't just looking to stay with Mr. Nicks through the Nationals...

USFSA Article

Cohen has stated her intention is to stay with Nicks at least through the 2006 Olympics in Torino, Italy. But she insists her focus is on the here and now.

“A lot of athletes go through tough times and it's just something you have to push through,” Cohen said, “but I think I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm training very hard to skate my very best and to win my first (U.S. championship) title.”

Vash01

Medalist
Mathman said:
I just found yet another nespaper article on this story.

World skate champ Cohen reunites with ex-coach

"COLORADO SPRINGS (Colorado): Reigning world women’s figure skating champion Sasha Cohen announced here on Wednesday she has moved back to California and reunited with former coach John Nicks. Cohen, who left Nicks for coach Robin Wagner one year ago, departed on good terms with Wagner but will train with Nicks for next month’s US Figure Skating Championships...."

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_24-12-2004_pg10_5

So there you have it.

Mathman

This journalist has crowned Sasha World figure skating champion....just another example of sloppy journalism. They grate on my nerves. Why can't they check the facts? It's not like Sasha skated 20 years ago!

Vash

R.D.

Record Breaker
Heard from FSU that Nicks and Cohen had a conference. The article is now up on the US fed site:

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=28317&type=news

other than the usual hype and "I want to be successful" stuff, it DOES mention that she plans to stay with Nicks at least through the 2006 winter games. (So I suppose it's not temporary.) However, given her schedule I wouldn't be surprised to see more changes in the future. (said the same thing about TT, and RW).

Edit: Stupid computer, not showing me that this was posted already. :sheesh: Sorry about that.

mzheng

Record Breaker
thisthingcalledlove said:
If she really wants jumps, I'd send her packing off to Japan...to Yamada. That woman can teach jumps.

Is her the coach of all her skaters have their leg wrapped when they are at the air? If so. I say NO.

Sasha imo has one of the most beautyful air position when she jumps.

mzheng

Record Breaker
If that short term arrangement were come from John Nick. My taken he wants to keep her in a leash.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Robin and I are really good friends and we got on really well,” Cohen said, “which is why I stayed there even though my skating was terrible. (But) Mr. Nicks' style of coaching really forces you to motivate yourself. When you compete you're on your own, so I think his style really sets you up to succeed.

Okay, that sounds like a back-handed compliment to me: Robin's a great lady but as a coach, she bites and consequently, my skating bites!

Ouch! ;)

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Can you see Sasha following in the footsteps of other often married ladies like Liz Taylor or JLo, marrying 4 or 5 times? :rofl: :biggrin:

This aricle is a little more forthcoming than previous news releases, it seems to me. Sasha says (as quoted by RealtorGal):

"Robin and I are really good friends and we got on really well,” Cohen said, “which is why I stayed there even though my skating was terrible."

(I don't recall Sasha saying in her Journal that her skating has been terrible this year, LOL.)

Mathman

Edited: Threads merged. This is such a hot topic that we already have three active threads going on about it. Thanks also to Thisthingcalledlove and Red Dog for posting this earlier.

Last edited:

euterpe

Medalist
Note that it is SASHA saying she wants to train through to Torino with Nicks. Nicks didn't say anything about that.

And Sasha saying that she and Robin were friends and she stayed with Robin even though her skating was terrible sounds like she is saying it's Robin's fault that she is skating badly. Of course, leaving Robin to train alone in Connecticut by herself over the summer then limited training in the fall had nothing to do with that......

Mathman said:
Edited: Threads merged. This is such a hot topic that we already have three active threads going on about it. Thanks also to Thisthingcalledlove and Red Dog for posting this earlier.

It is a hot topic when skaters, eg. Bobek, Kwan, and Sasha change coaches or in Kwan's case 'go it alone'. However, this is a skater's decision. We can only comment on whether the decision was a good one or a bad one.

Whatever the full story of Sasha and TT was, Sasha was left without a coach and some decision was made to stay in the east, and which coach in the East would she choose. Now another coach change is happening and it is irrelevant to the skater who has to now commit herself to a National Championship against some very good skaters. She needs some last minute coaching and that is the important thing. Let her have that in peace.

If she wins Nationals, we know who gets the fanfare, but who gets the credit? and does it matter?

Joe

nuggetr

Rinkside
I don't think Sasha is blaming Robin, if she was unhappy in New York that would affect everything she did..I can not see how anyone could be happy living in N.Y after living all their life in California..It can be so bitter cold there in the winter, maybe she just does not like the cold. There are so many things that could make her unhappy there. I don't know about her housing in California but if she had a house with a yard, she may just miss that also. Living in a house is so different than living in an apartment. I don't see any reason she should stay where she is unhappy..There are so many things that none of us know about that I don't see why we should be saying things about what she does in her life..It is her life not ours, her business..I just wish her the best of luck.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
nuggetr said:
can not see how anyone could be happy living in N.Y after living all their life in California. It can be so bitter cold there in the winter, maybe she just does not like the cold.

But she spends her life in an ICE SKATING RINK! :laugh: ;)

Vash01

Medalist
nuggetr said:
I don't think Sasha is blaming Robin, if she was unhappy in New York that would affect everything she did..I can not see how anyone could be happy living in N.Y after living all their life in California..It can be so bitter cold there in the winter, maybe she just does not like the cold. There are so many things that could make her unhappy there. I don't know about her housing in California but if she had a house with a yard, she may just miss that also. Living in a house is so different than living in an apartment. I don't see any reason she should stay where she is unhappy..There are so many things that none of us know about that I don't see why we should be saying things about what she does in her life..It is her life not ours, her business..I just wish her the best of luck.

Being happy or unhappy does not depend on where one lives, or on the outside temperature and other (outside) things.

Vash

Vash01

Medalist
jesslily said:
During the last year that Sasha worked with John Nicks, they did quite a few interviews. John Nicks said many good things about Sasha. And I remeber the media coverage quoted that John Nicks was in his eraly 70s. So I guess he is in mid 70s now. Age is not very critical if he is hearthy. At 2002 national he looked very energetic and healthy. He could even jump rope then.
Sasha is not Nicole Bobek at all. She is going back to her long time formal coach, she is not switching to a new coach.

IIRC, Nicole went back to Carlo Fassi who was her former coach (correction requested, if I am wrong), and even continued with his widow as her coach after Carlo suddenly died at the world championships (I am forgetting the year, but it may be around 1999).

In all, Nicole had around 13 coaches total. Sasha has a long way to go to catch up with her, and most probably she never will.

Vash

Vash01

Medalist
mzheng said:
Is her the coach of all her skaters have their leg wrapped when they are at the air? If so. I say NO.

Sasha imo has one of the most beautyful air position when she jumps.

IIRC only Midori had a leg wrapped around during the jumps (but nobody cared).

Vash