Sasha Cohen's Journal Updates | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen's Journal Updates

soogar

Record Breaker
For a skater , it would probably be best if she did spring for first class seats. She can move around easier and not worry about blood clots that could happen when seated for long periods of time.

S

SkateFan4Life

soogar said:
For a skater , it would probably be best if she did spring for first class seats. She can move around easier and not worry about blood clots that could happen when seated for long periods of time.

That's an excellent point. The last time I was on a long overseas flight was five years ago, when my travel group and I flew home from Amman, Jordan (after spending 10 days in Israel) to New York. We stopped for a few hours in Amsterdam, and many of us walked up and down the aisles, just to stretch our legs. We also walked up and down the aisles on the flight over the ocean.

Our plane was PACKED the entire flight. Some of my fellow passengers were tall, and, frankly, I don't know how they managed to maintain any level of comfort. :mad:

heyang

Record Breaker
Seems to me that she's flying a chartered flight - perhaps paid for by a corporate sponsor?

I've never sat in 1st class, but it mostly means more leg room and a bigger comfortable seat - no couches. My brother got bumped up once and he said it was great.

When I flew to Asheville, NC, the overhead bins were so small that you couldn't fit anything larger than a laptop/briefcase. The flight attendant took our drink orders and carried them on a tray because the aisle was too small for a cart. Of course, the plane was small because it was a 'commuter' flight. Just can't imagine Sasha or any other celebrity taking a cheap flight for less than 2 hours.

S

SkateFan4Life

heyang said:
Just can't imagine Sasha or any other celebrity taking a cheap flight for less than 2 hours.

Here I go again - :rofl: :rofl:

I remember the 1989 World Championships, which were held in Paris. My videotape from that competition includes footage of Jill Trenary, the US champion, arriving in Paris on the Concorde with a huge bouquet of roses.
Guess it must be nice to fly first class! :rofl:

skatepixie

On the Ice
I dont think its such a big deal or whatever that she gets to fly first class or charter. I mean...shes one of the best skaters in the world...you expect her to take the red eye? Thats whats making me go :rofl: ! LOL.

Sasha was born a privileged child. There is no hiding that. But given that, she is accustomed to the privilege life. If she can afford first class (and I believe she can), then so be it. I don't see anything wrong with this.

If she complains about the funding of USFSA, then maybe a donation would be apropro.

Flemming's upbringing was not the same and flying in prop jets in coach was not the best for her yet she won many medals. Sasha too, has won many medals and she is a top contender for this year's Worlds. That's where it counts on the ice and not in the air.

Joe

Michibanana

Rinkside
If Sasha's stopped doing pilates, that would explain A LOT about her back injury. Although it's true that pilates mainly strengthens your abdominal muscles, the part of your body that it focuses on is called the "core," and if it's strong, it supports your back and does a lot of the work that people with weak abdominals would probably use their back and/or neck muscles to do. Considering how bad Sasha's back injury was, I'm surprised she stopped doing pilates because it probably left her pretty vulnerable. (Interestingly, I remember hearing during the summer Olympics that a lot of swimmers do pilates as part of their conditioning....)

Vash01

Medalist
I don't believe any of the top skaters fly coach class, particularly on international flights which can be quite tiring. Even engineers like me used to fly business class on international flights (the comfort level is almost same as first class), and first class on domestic flights, in the good old days. (That has changed. Now only top level managers get the luxury). The difference between coach and other classes is HUGE when it comes to a long international flight (trans-Atlantic or Trans-Pacific). Skaters don't have billions of dollars like big corporations, but it would be quite easy for a top skater in the USA to fly business class, and use some frequent flyer miles to upgrade to first class. A private jet is a very real possibility for a highly privileged skater, and Sasha could be one of them. Only in that case I can imagine her bringing a couch on the plane. Even First Class does not provide that kind of luxury.

PAskate

On the Ice
It is also quite likely that top skaters may have reached an elite traveler level with specific airlines and get courtesy upgrades as well. Since most national federations have sponsorship agreements with an airline, their skaters typically fly only one. Fly the same airline all the time and you can rack up significant privledges.

S

SkateFan4Life

Mathman said:
SkateFan, congratulations on your 1000th post. :party2:

Thanks, Mathman. I'm enjoying myself reading and writing on this message board. :biggrin: Thanks to all of you nice folks for taking the time to read the stuff I post!

SkateFan4Life

I'm glad to hear that her endorsement work for citizen's watches is giving her so many opportunities. Sounds like she got to meet some corparate big wigs. Good for her.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
She mentioned that she will have a surprise in her long program by the pro am...

new costume (probably)
tripple tripple combo? (hopefully)
quad sal? (unlikely due to back injury)

I love speculating im sorry

Please excuse if this has shades of the "snob" factor, but I practiced and then taught Pilates from 1978 until 1989, and also practiced various other specialized training methods, such as Rommet Floor Barre, Alexander Technique, Feldenkrais, and various methods of strength training, ie, machines, free weights, isokinetic resistance, and pool training. IMO, if you limit yourself to one type of training, such as Pilates, your body adapts so that certain muscle groups become developed and others don't. There is no one kind of training that is the magic bullet of training. Pilates has a lot of advantages, it's not particularly good for strengthening the back and abdominals because it doesn't provide enouogh resistance plus the resistance for the abdominals tends to be isometric, which doesn't translate to what a skater needs.

Also, Sasha may have changed to swimming to take some of the pressure off her back while it's healing. Not knowing the exact nature of her reinjury, I can only speculate, but I do know that pool work is usually the first type of training recommended after a lot of injuries, but especially back injuries.

I do recall reading Robin Wagner say last spring that she would have Sasha doing quads and even quints by mid-summer. Although I have no idea if Sasha took an extended period of time off or exactly what her training schedule was, wasn't she touring with COI from June through the beginning of August or thereabouts? I know show skating only requires a few triples, but it's not exactly time off. Anyway, by my way of thinking, concentrating on quads even without much time off for a skater who has a history of serious back injury and just recently made some improvements in her triples is asking for trouble.

If 4/3, 3/3/3, etc. are expected as part of champion skaters' jump repertoires with virtually year-round training, IMO, they and their coaches are going to have to take a whole new approach to training. Because no single method of training is going to keep a skater in peak condition without resulting in overtraining, a method called "training periodization" is what I'd like to see more skaters use. Without going into detail, training periodization is a method whereby different methods of training are used throughout the year so that the body and mind neither become overtrained nor stale, including periods where the skater doesn't even skate at all, but stays in shape by doing other activities. Unfortunately, the demand for jumps has increased so quickly that coaches and skaters are basically guessing at what to do.

BTW, this goes for all skaters if they want to have a competitive career that lasts more than two or three seasons. Also, unless you've treated a lot of back patients or been through it, you can't imagine how strong and invincible you can feel for years only to one day do your regular training and a few hours later feel more back pain than you ever thought possible :frown:, which makes sense given how chuggy-jam the spine is with muscle, nerve, tendon, nerve, ligament, nerve, bone, and nerve, nerve, nerve. The real spine looks so unlike those clean plastic models in doctors' offices, it's no wonder people are so confused as to what to do when they have a back injury:confused:.

Good luck to all the skaters pushing the inside of the jump envelope. IMO, these next 10 years of jump evolution are going to be tough and frustrating :banging:.
Rgirl

nymkfan51

Medalist
I rather doubt the surprise will be 3/3's or the quad, since the doctor supposedly told her no multi-revolution jumping for 4 to 6 weeks.
I'm guessing it's either a new costume, or some new piece of choreography.