Sasha injured | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Sasha injured

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I told my brother about this and he is sooooo upset (Duane is really getting into skating and he is soooooooo in love with Sasha lol)

hope she recovers VERY soon... skating will be a little lackluster on TV in the US without Michelle &/or Sasha to keep the media interested

tripleflutz

On the Ice
It sounds like what we used to call a hip pointer, which is a bone bruise that leaves you VERY SORE. It is a BONE PAIN injury that you must protect for a couple of weeks for it to heal. I've had injuries of this sort back in my football days and I think she'll have to stick to lite workouts, without jumps until it heals.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Piel said:
OK Dirty Old Lady you get to wear Kat Witt's costume with the "skirt" made of a few feathers.

OK Piel. My heart is broken now that I know for sure you want to dress me up as a bird.

DG

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Originally Posted by Doggygirl
If I've said it once, I've said it twice. I am NOT a Frumpy Middleaged Lady. I am a Dirty Old Lady. This is the last time I'm going to ask you nice. Next time I'm going to accuse you of bashing me. TIYLWTSBM. (I dare you - ask me what that means in net speak.)

My mom and some of her friends that are her age, used to say that the were D.O.L.L.'s Dirty Old Lovely Ladies :laugh:

I'm going to guess that the netspeak means, "Talk in your little way to someone but, me" ???? :eek:?

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
CzarinaAnya said:
My mom and some of her friends that are her age, used to say that the were D.O.L.L.'s Dirty Old Lovely Ladies :laugh:

I'm going to guess that the netspeak means, "Talk in your little way to someone but, me" ???? :eek:?

LOL, I nearly spit my whine and cheesefest on the keyboard. When I posted the XXXXX netspeak, I did have something in mind which was the first time I thought it up. I had a discussion with myself (let's face it, ladies my age, whether "Dirty Old" or not tend to talk to ourselves) about writing down that whole thing. I said to myself, NAW!! I'll remember it!!! And now I don't.

So I guess your definition will have to "ROCK" for now. :clap:

DG

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Oh, thank you.
jump.gif

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Sounds like they caught her hip injury early in the season. I hope there's plenty of time for both Sasha and Michelle to come roaring back.............42

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I obviously lost my DOL (Dirty Old Lady) mind...

...when Piel tried to dress me up in Witt's feathers. Now don't get me wrong - if I had to run around looking like a bird I might be willing to do it if I was SURE I was wearing Kat's feathers. Mean time....

What is the best series of words that in net speak, translates toTIYLWTSBM?

:)

DG

R.D.

Record Breaker
Heh...If MK of all people can't make me become her fan, then nobody can. :laugh:

Anyway- if the injured skaters do not recover this could be a drab start to a highly anticipated season. Wouldn't that suck if most or all the contenders were taken out by injuries? It seems to be headed that route...:eek:hwell:

On the flip side this may make Turin even tougher to predict, because no one would really be able to prove themselves before then...

I think that this gives skaters like Irina or Shizuka (given that THEY stay healthy) a big advantage this time around. The stakes just shifted, I believe, and they may shift big time. JMO

orchid

On the Ice
wvgal57 said:
Well it seems that Sasha injured herself on a FALL, so regardless of whether COP was in or out, she'd still have been injured. Some posters cite Kwan with having hip pain for years now..

There were injuries long before COP came long. US ladies top the list with Lipinski, Stellato, Kwan, Cohen ....

Perhaps they need to rethink their training habits.

Think again the training habits ??????? How about judges and fans re-evaluate expectations

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
orchid said:
Think again the training habits ??????? How about judges and fans re-evaluate expectations

Amen, orchid. Amen. If you have to beat the living crap out of your body to do something, and sacrifice innovation to do it because it doesn't look hard enough (see Weir's depressing journal entry), maybe it's not the skaters who have some rethinking to do.

R.D.

Record Breaker
orchid said:

It's not the judges and fans necessarily, it's what the SYSTEM emphasizes. JMO.

orchid

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Alissa is scheduled for Skate Canada as well as (now) Skate America. I just hope that she is prepared to compete on two days notice at Atlantic City!

Emily has Skate America and Cup of Russia.

Kimmie has Eric Bompard (where she will face Sasha, if Sasha recovers in time) and NKH (Japan).

Bebe does not have a second event, only Skate America. Maybe she will replace Michelle at Cup of China, if (as seems likely) Michelle will not be able to complete.

MM

Sahsa is out due to a deep bruise and to be back in a week ??? Michelle, with ligament strain, is expected to begin training in the next few days. BUT, you write Michelle off for the entire GP season? MM

O

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Red Dog said:

The system didn't appear sui generis. Not to mention that the new version was supposed to deemphasize jumps but the people making the calls at events patently aren't. And as has been mentioned, the problem existed under the 6.0 system, too, where jumps were openly becoming the point--the bigger and higher, the higher you placed, even if you MIF style sections were crap.

In any case, it's the judges and the officials who have to make it clear to skaters that they shouldn't have to break their bodies to succeed. Unfortunately they're tending not to.

R.D.

Record Breaker
julietvalcouer said:
The system didn't appear sui generis. Not to mention that the new version was supposed to deemphasize jumps but the people making the calls at events patently aren't. And as has been mentioned, the problem existed under the 6.0 system, too, where jumps were openly becoming the point--the bigger and higher, the higher you placed, even if you MIF style sections were crap.

In any case, it's the judges and the officials who have to make it clear to skaters that they shouldn't have to break their bodies to succeed. Unfortunately they're tending not to.

Well, I see this as a "double edged sword". Ask the skaters to tone it down, and there'll be fewer tricks, which might lead to complacency, loss of interest (on part of some fans), and even more loss of respect of FS as a sport. Isn't a sport supposed to PUSH boundaries? There are runners setting new records every year. Should someone tell them to not run as fast? What about swimming world records? Should someone say, "I'm concerned about the state of the sport so you should tone it down?" In other words, it should be up to the SKATERS themselves. Because think about it, it's the best skater THAT NIGHT that wins. There is no set standard. The only standard you have to beat is that of the best skater. And if there's someone out there pushing the boundaries of skating, trying innovative, difficult moves and new jumps, then they deserve to win over someone who maintains the status quo. (Assume they both have the same amount of "skating skill".)

JMO.

orchid

On the Ice
Red Dog said:

Disagree.

"System"may define expected skating content, but fans want the JUMPS. Audience approval quite likely may influence judges marks, irrespective of the COP.

.....Since the new system lessens the points for jump content, exactly why are the skaters practicing more and more complicated jumps> Fan approval?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Also- if you deemphasize jumps and emphasize other moves, I don't think the AMOUNT of injuries will change. Instead I think you'll see a trend in the TYPES of injuries skaters end up with.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Since the new system lessens the points for jump content, exactly why are the skaters practicing more and more complicated jumps> Fan approval?

Because there is another skater out there that IS doing it. Remember, if you don't want to try something, there's always someone else out there who will. See my post above.

Doesn't matter that the fans think. Think of a competition where all the skaters skate terribly. Someone still wins, right? Even if the winner falls twice, that means everyone else did worse.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
OK Mathman/others

I'll explain my point but only cuz I have to.

CoP was supposed to be a better system for the athletes for many reasons. But it seems they want inbetweens, steps, sprirals, spins to count AND STILL WANT a 6 triple program. Maybe I should be blaming Kwan, Lipinski and Slute for having upped the ante so much under the 6.O.

It 'sstill a system that s:scratch: ***ks!