Sasha - NY Times | Golden Skate

Sasha - NY Times

sillylionlove

Medalist
I think that she is going to do it and will succeed. I saw her moonlight sonata program during SOI and it was really like watching the old Sasha. The problem is I am not feeling positive about the US getting 3 sports for the next Olympics!!

R.D.

Record Breaker
The problem is I am not feeling positive about the US getting 3 [spots] for the next Olympics!!

I will just make it easy on myself and assume it won't happen. I'd advise others to do the same. If it does, great! if it doesn't, well, not the end of the world.

There was a similar article on MK. My opinion on this matter has changed somewhat. Here's what I said on FSU:

[in response to a poster quote]...so we now have Cohen and Kwan doing "training" on the side, and Plushenko already announcing intentions to return. It's probably a part of their struggles to let go of what they've been doing all their life. I think this seems to be a common feeling for a lot of competitors, especially in sports.

in a way, Cohen is "back" already. She is already skating and has always done so. But it's a whole 'nother thing to compete with the best, and that requires elevation of your game to its highest point. She may "miss" the feeling but I think her body will give up on her like MK in Torino. Kim and Asada are just too good, plus they're young. (of course, anyone can get injured, but given Cohen's competitive history, she seems especially prone to these things)

As for Kwan, she may be satisfied with simply touring on SOI or a similar tour, but it seems like she too misses competition. Unlike Cohen, though, I think she seemed to thrive on it, at least until 2004. 2005, things started to slowly unravel for her (MK) IMO. Maybe her stint with NBC this week will give her a different perspective as to whether she really wants to try again or not. Quite frankly, though, I think she'd have even more work to do than Cohen would to catch up to the top of the competitive field. And I just don't think they can do it in less than a year. But if they want to try, more power to them. Internationally I think their presence would make little difference, but it would liven up things at US Nats, at least :laugh:

ETA: Realistically speaking, Cohen at 2006 form or better would probably still the best the US ladies would have to offer until Nagasu and/or Flatt find their way. And that could be soon.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
i agree that she really sounds like she is gonna do it. She has stopped with the "maybe" and "we'll see."

I am so excited. I feel like that is something that I would do too. ou can't go through your whole life wondering what could have been.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think it's just the way it was written, folks. If she knew she was coming back she would have announced it by now. Same with MK.

More propaganda, but this time we may actually be getting somewhere. It means NOTHING though in the long run, and I'll believe it when I see it.

Trewyn

Medalist
Heartfelt article. I thought it was interesting she never watcher her Olympics LP until last summer... Maybe it's understandable that she didn't want to be confronted.. I still think that was an amazing performance, so full of passion. Her Worlds LP that year was *a lot* worse.
We can only wait and see. She sounds more and more determined, but the past reviews I read she fell at least once during SOI, so it's not like her jumps are now magically consistent. Still, I would love for her to come back.

MKFSfan

Medalist
I thought it was weird she didn't watch her Olympic skate, too. I hate to sound neagtive, but that LP wasn't a disaster by Sasha standards, and she had some good moments after the 1st two jumping passes. I could see how had she skated clean and still was 2nd (as Michelle in 1998 did, or Brian in 1988-took him 10 years to watch that skate), that would be so painful to watch. Or had she had a total meltdown. I guess she was really expecting to pull it together when it really mattered for once, and that had to be a huge let down, but (again hate to be negative) it wasn't too surprising how she did. IMO, Worlds was worse, and while Nats may have been "cleaner," I felt the Olympic skate had more omph to it.