Sasha's quad | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sasha's quad

registered

On the Ice
chuckm said:
registered: "She landed two 3/0.5/3 combos last season, one at Campbells, another one at Winter invitational"

Yes, she was trying that sequence (it is not a combination) during the Grand Prix in the 2002-2003 season, but she never managed to land it in a GP event. She fell on the first jump in the sequence at the 2003 Nationals FS, and I believe that was the last time she attempted it. It's interesting that she was able to land it at cheesefests, but not at events that counted.

I just love how the bar gets set up differently and higher every time Sasha's performance is concern.

At first it's how many times in all he landed a 3/3, then if she execued it at the pro/am, it doesn't even count. And if it's a sequence, it's not really a combo, so it doesn't count either. And oh, she never delivers 2 clean back to back skates, but if she did it at Worlds, it was in the QR, so it's not a "real" LP, so she again failed to deliver clean FP; and if actually she just skated one at Marshalls, than it was a "cheesefest" and shouldn't be counted.

Anyway, my point was that just like Arakawa nowadays, Sasha have tried 3/3 combos (and sequences) all through the past season (with different degree of success).

Lucy25

Final Flight
wvgal57 said:
It's not like Sasha has been skating for 10 years doing the same stuff nor trying to coast along for a hitch at Olympic Gold, she's proven she's a hard worker and willing to compete. If you don't compete it's hard to get beat.
Pretty disappointing to see this poster stoop to this level.:confused:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I just love how the bar gets set up differently and higher every time Sasha's performance is concern.

Registered, take it as a compliment for Sasha. It means she has arrived. Michelle has put up with this kind of thing for years. It's like the old saying when they STOP talking about you that you need to worry.

It's not like Sasha has been skating for 10 years doing the same stuff nor trying to coast along for a hitch at Olympic Gold, she's proven she's a hard worker and willing to compete. If you don't compete it's hard to get beat.

Michelle has long proved that she is a hard worker and has been competing at the top for many years now. She has never been unwilling to compete but has chosen to have a life AND a figure skating career. Since she has broken no ISU rules I don't understand why anyone has a problem with this. I guess this is the new verse to the "Michelle Should Retire To Give Others A Chance To Win" song". Even those who are not Irina fans have offered prayers and sent good wishes her way when she was unable to compete due to her and her mother's illnesses. It says a lot about the poster that the same graciousness cannot be extended to Michelle because her life choices are different. That she has had such an awesome career that allows her the luxury of making that kind of choice and to have performed as well as she has even with less competetive experiences during the last couple of years is a testament to what a great skater Michelle Kwan is.

Last edited:

Fossi

Final Flight
The thing about Sasha that concerns me is that everyone talks about how "hard" Sasha works, but she still can't keep it together. I am proud of her that she did so well at Worlds this season. Her SP was great. But if we are going to rip on other skaters for doing the "same old, same old" then I must point out that Sasha did this same SP last season. If she wasn't doing it perfect and as wonderful as she did it at Worlds this year, I would've been shocked. She has had plenty of time to refine it and should be able to do it in her sleep. What a great job she did do at Worlds with it though.
The LP still concerns me. She finally landed a 7 triple program after many tries. She was out there competing lots, and it took several tries to skate it perfect and land those triples. This is great for her. But let's not put down others to make her look better.
As for that "elusive" quad, I hope she doesn't try it anymore. She tried it 3 seasons ago and bombed with it. Once she let go of the idea, she became a skater to take more seriously. I have enjoyed watching her grow through the years. I hope she doesn't revert back to the Sasha of '01 and beginning of '02.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist

Well, I'm not a fan of that. Michelle has had to deal with that hardcore for at least six years now. But, it is bound to happen when you become a favorite. Piel was right, it certainly is a good indication that she has arrived. Standards become very different for those that we consider great. I also think poor Arakawa will be feeling the effects of this next season. As they say, she now has a big red target on her back and everyone (even the critics) will be chasing. Just wait....she'll have one flub somewhere and everyone will be screaming "What has happened to the World Champion?". I'm hoping Shizuka will handle it beautifully. Being a favorite or champion seems like it would be much tougher than being the surprise or upstart.. As for Sasha and the 3/3s, well, she just needed to get through a program cleanly without one first. Maybe she's getting there. I hope so.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Rgirl has mentioned several times that the season after changing coaches is kind of iffy while the new training methods take hold or the new team has time to gel. The last two seasons for Michelle and Sasha and this season for Shizuka would fall into that category. They took the podium at worlds with their "iffy" season. We are in for a real treat I believe.

wvgal57

On the Ice
gezando said:
Oh how time flies, your favorite skater Irina has been competing for 10 years already? Now wvgal, you shouldn't be so harsh on Irina. (Are you still the forum moderator for Irina's message board?) Even though Irina is "doing the same stuff" I love her "same stuff", the double bielmann e.g. I assume if Irina is going to another Olympic game, she still has to go through Russian nationals, that is not exactly "coast along for a hitch to the olys". Irina hasn't really been competing much, but I love her return, and even though she was beaten by quite a few skaters at worlds 2004, I still enjoy watching her. ;) :) Comparing Sasha and Irina is like comparing oranges and apples. They are at very different phases of development. Last I check Irina has won world gold, and an Olympic medal. I won't blame her if she relax a bit. Irina has been a trooper, securing world berths for Russia for so long. How can you possibly put her down?

Where's the Rolleye's when you need it! :rolleye: :rolleye:

Your comments aren't worthy of a reply. You must be a Kwaniac who wants to make EVERY comment by somebody about Michelle. Grow up.

The fact remains Sasha has not been around as long as EITHER Irina or Michelle and it still is a FACT if you don't compete, you don't get beat.

Also, I'd rank Irina and Michelle's situations much differently. Irina did compete till her health forced her to stop.

wvgal57

On the Ice
I SAID Sasha is NOT coasting along for an Olympic Gold, she's out there competing and doing the hard work. You can draw your own conclusions about where your minds WANT to put that comment.

Why do you want to make everything about Michelle? My comments were not referring to her at all.

They referred to Sasha working HARD to try to earn a Gold medal, working hard in training, competing and absolutely NOT sitting out from competition.

I'm sorry but some of you Kwan fans need to "chill out". Not everything is about Michelle.

thvudragon

On the Ice
chuckm said:
registered: "She landed two 3/0.5/3 combos last season, one at Campbells, another one at Winter invitational"

Yes, she was trying that sequence (it is not a combination) during the Grand Prix in the 2002-2003 season, but she never managed to land it in a GP event. She fell on the first jump in the sequence at the 2003 Nationals FS, and I believe that was the last time she attempted it. It's interesting that she was able to land it at cheesefests, but not at events that counted.
Actually, it truly is a combination. It is a Triple/single/triple combination. The only reason that such a combo is a sequence in CoP is because the half loop is not a listed element, so therefore fits the defention of a sequence. (which is quite absurd as it's a combo, but oh well).

TV

valuvsmk

Rinkside
gezando said:
Oh how time flies, your favorite skater Irina has been competing for 10 years already? Now wvgal, you shouldn't be so harsh on Irina. (Are you still the forum moderator for Irina's message board?) Even though Irina is "doing the same stuff" I love her "same stuff", the double bielmann e.g. I assume if Irina is going to another Olympic game, she still has to go through Russian nationals, that is not exactly "coast along for a hitch to the olys". Irina hasn't really been competing much, but I love her return, and even though she was beaten by quite a few skaters at worlds 2004, I still enjoy watching her. ;) :) Comparing Sasha and Irina is like comparing oranges and apples. They are at very different phases of development. Last I check Irina has won world gold, and an Olympic medal. I won't blame her if she relax a bit. Irina has been a trooper, securing world berths for Russia for so long. How can you possibly put her down?

wvgal57, did you even read this post before responding to it? Only Irina and Sasha's names are mentioned. I can't imagine why you had to bring up another skater's name in your reply - unless you really did intend for your earlier post to be about that other skater all along.

Having said that, I believe that, if Sasha develops her consistency and continues to learn to focus but relax while skating, she will continue to be one of the very top contenders in Moscow and in Turino.

StillBlueLake

Rinkside
Whatever wvgal, everyone knows your agenda. Anyone who has been reading these boards knows that you make the same veiled remarks every darn post.

Subtlety is obviously not your strong point.

Ah here's what I needed......:rolleye: :rolleye:

nuggetr

Rinkside
wvgal57 said:
I'd venture to say Sasha's training now of the quad will be somewhat different. Robin is a strategist and she'll never allow Sasha to go down the road of concentrating on the quad if it's not consistent nor obtainable. Their goals center around a strong Sasha by Turino. It's not like Sasha has been skating for 10 years doing the same stuff nor trying to coast along for a hitch at Olympic Gold, she's proven she's a hard worker and willing to compete. If you don't compete it's hard to get beat.

She's shown she can land 3/3 in competition and she's been landing 3loop/3loop in practices.

Sasha has so much to offer without the quad and the COP seems made for her - I predict she'll have another dynamite short program to grab the lead in the short and most likely she'll repeat dominance of the GrandPrix.
Very well said..I could not have said it better

jeffisjeff

Spectator
WVgal - Before posting your not so subtle put downs of other skaters, please think twice, or three times. You are, whether you like it or not, a representative of Irina (as the person who runs her official message board). Your behavior reflects very poorly on her. :(

nuggetr

Rinkside
wvgal57 said:
I'd venture to say Sasha's training now of the quad will be somewhat different. Robin is a strategist and she'll never allow Sasha to go down the road of concentrating on the quad if it's not consistent nor obtainable. Their goals center around a strong Sasha by Turino. It's not like Sasha has been skating for 10 years doing the same stuff nor trying to coast along for a hitch at Olympic Gold, she's proven she's a hard worker and willing to compete. If you don't compete it's hard to get beat.

She's shown she can land 3/3 in competition and she's been landing 3loop/3loop in practices.

Sasha has so much to offer without the quad and the COP seems made for her - I predict she'll have another dynamite short program to grab the lead in the short and most likely she'll repeat dominance of the GrandPrix.
Very well said..I could not have said it better

Fossi

Final Flight
Sasha has only landed one 3/3 in her entire career, right? At least I can only remember her landing one. What other times has she landed them?
I know skaters land 3/3's alot in practice, but they keep telling me it only counts if landed in competition, so I don't think a practice can count.

There's an official board for Irina Slutskaya? What is the link? Is Wvgal57 really a representative of Irina?

jeffisjeff

Spectator
Fossi said:
Sasha has only landed one 3/3 in her entire career, right? At least I can only remember her landing one. What other times has she landed them?
I know skaters land 3/3's alot in practice, but they keep telling me it only counts if landed in competition, so I don't think a practice can count.

There's an official board for Irina Slutskaya? What is the link? Is Wvgal57 really a representative of Irina?

http://www.irina-slutskaya.com/

Click on fan forum. WVgal is listed as administrator.

gezando

Final Flight
wvgal57 said:
Your comments aren't worthy of a reply. You must be a Kwaniac who wants to make EVERY comment by somebody about Michelle. Grow up......
Why do you want to make everything about Michelle? My comments were not referring to her at all......
I'm sorry but some of you Kwan fans need to "chill out". Not everything is about Michelle........

WVgal, no need to throw a tantrum :rolleye:
I kind of know that you were the administrator of Irina's official message board. I was scratching my head, and thought why on earth were you dissing Irina? I know wagon jumping(TM) and dissing one's former favorite skater(TM) is in vogue nowadays, and the way you were carrying on in your first post, I thought it is so unfair for you to discredit Irina like that. So, as a long time Irina fan, I just want to defend her.

I only talked about Irina and Sasha in my message, you are the one who dragged in Michelle Kwan.

The fact remains Sasha has not been around as long as Irina ....
Exactly my point when I post my support for Irina. Irina has been around for a longer period of time, she is a world gold medalist, and olympic medalist, she has secured world berths for Russia for years, and she deserves to relax a bit. Why were you dissing her with "coast along for a hitch for Olys gold"

Anyways, shaking heads, how did you weasle your way to be a representative of Irina's official message board?

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Duh to me (hits self in forhead)! I'm not usually that slow. The next time would someone please give me a cyberslap or PM me, LOL?

Just got it in WV,
Pi not quite with it tonight el

Kasey

Medalist
I think it's a little absurd, to be pushing all the ladies to try quads, or work on quads, just because ONE female skater has an inconsistant one. Midori Ito was doing triple axels how many years ago? And how many female skaters have been throwing THEM into their programs with any consistancy? 3/3s is one thing...working harder on those, that is probably a good idea. The other two.... :rolleye: Not a realistic thing to think quads or Triple axels will be changing the face of ladies skating in the next season. Some day, yeah, maybe. I think if Sasha is going to work on anything new this off season, the 3/3 and her mental focus would be best.

Kasey