Scathing article on Sasha and MK | Golden Skate

Scathing article on Sasha and MK

Taan

On the Ice
Kwan's agent, Shep Goldberg, said in a Tuesday e-mail that Kwan's Oct. 11 decision was "within the time frame allowed." Jerry Lace, Grand Prix coordination group member and former USFSA executive director, said he told Goldberg several times after Kwan was assigned Skate America in June the USFSA needed to know by Aug. 1 if she did not intend to skate.

When the USFSA heard nothing, it assumed Kwan would compete.

Give Kwan credit for not stretching the truth and using a sore back as a reason to pull out. Goldberg said in a Monday e-mail, "Her back is feeling much better now."

Some USFSA officials are so upset, they grumble Kwan should retire because her presence allegedly arrests the development of younger U.S. skaters.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :eek:

Actually, the article (by Phil Hersh) praises Kwan. The next lines, after the part quoted above by Taan, are:

"What bunkum. Kwan should compete as long as she wants. It isn't her fault nobody can beat her.

"In 42 Olympic-style events since 1995, Kwan has lost to only three U.S. skaters_Tara Lipinski (four times); Sarah Hughes (twice); and Cohen (once, 2004 worlds). Only Lipinski (1997) has beaten Kwan at the last nine U.S. Championships."

Hersh is more critical of Cohen:

"Meanwhile, the likes of Naomi Nari Nam, Ann Patrice McDonough, Sydne Vogel and Jennifer Kirk all have flashed and fizzled before they challenged Kwan.

"Even Cohen, 20 next Tuesday, ranks as an underachiever. The defining performance of her career occurred 4 1/2 years ago and lasted less than three minutes_the short program at 2000 nationals. She frittered away chances to win the 2004 nationals and worlds and has yet to do a clean final free skate in a real competition.

"The artistic brilliance Cohen showed in 2000 has been dulled by her consistent choice of music overused in figure skating. Her current programs are set to two Russian chestnuts_"Dark Eyes" and "Nutcracker." If Cohen were Leonardo da Vinci, she would have regressed from the student who outshone his masters to painting by numbers rather than boldly becoming the genius of "The Last Supper" and the "Mona Lisa.""

Ouch!

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that Michelle's back is feeling better. Maybe she'll show up tonight at Skate America after all -- as a last minute replacement for Sasha!

Mathman

Last edited:

euterpe

Medalist
The article mentions the deteriorating relationship between Sasha and Robin Wagner. What I thought was noticeable was the change in Sasha's journal in reference to Robin. During August, Sasha left Robin and went to Connecticut by herself to meet with Russian choreographers and to 'train' by herself. Sasha's last few journal entries barely mentioned Robin, while last season Sasha was gushing over her new coach (just as she had when she started with TT).

Sasha and her family have recently moved from a house in Connecticut to apartments in the same building in NYC, so it would seem unlikely that a coaching change is imminent (what East Coach elite coaches are available?), but you never know.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
"The artistic brilliance Cohen showed in 2000 has been dulled by her consistent choice of music overused in figure skating. Her current programs are set to two Russian chestnuts_"Dark Eyes" and "Nutcracker." If Cohen were Leonardo da Vinci, she would have regressed from the student who outshone his masters to painting by numbers rather than boldly becoming the genius of "The Last Supper" and the "Mona Lisa."
What a bunch of bull!!! He wants to talk about Leonardo? Sure! The master had a very contentious relationship with Michelangelo, yet the latter sure did not revert to painting by numbers! If anything, the bitter rivalry pushed Michelangelo to crystalize his approach to nature and art to prove his ideas' superiority to Leonardo's. Perhaps Da Vinci should have retired to allow the man 25 years his junior to better devlop. :rolleye:

Lucy25

Final Flight
I don't see this article as scathing against Michelle at all. He seems to be defending her.

Hersh has always been particular about skating music choice. I agree with him here, Sasha has always chosen overused music. I am glad he mentioned other reasons why she missed training time this summer. All the Skate America articles I have read made it sound like moving and her infected foot were the sole reasons. She seems to not be telling reporters about her vacations and photo shoots and commercial and Marshalls promotions. He always seems to have inside information, so I have to wonder if there is some truth in the Wagner comments.

Here's my prediction: Sarah will be back with Robin by year's end.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
While I wait for my password...

I haven't looked at the Mercury news in a very long time, and haven't been able to read the article yet as I am waiting for my password to be re-sent. Sounds like it's an "action packed" article.

Mean time, without violating board rules can anyone elaborate a little more on possible issues between Sasha and Robin? I'm not surprised that the initial "gushing" has died down as there always seems to be a honeymoon period, followed by a reality check with any type of relationship like this. (for me these days, it's dog trainers)

This is what has me curious - I wonder if Robin and Sarah have talked based on the other thread regarding a possible Nationals come back for Sarah. Just curious if that's a possible "rub" going on behind the scenes.

DG

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Doggygirl, I think you may have a point about Sarah, Robin and Sasha. Sasha may not want to share. I don’t know if I could blame Sasha or not.

Anyhow, here is a quote from the article.

“The odds already were low after Cohen missed more than two months of summer training with Robin Wagner for many reasons, including a two-week family vacation, problems with her skate boots and her ankle and a decision to skate on her own for several weeks.

Cohen's relationship with Wagner has frayed within six months of her jumping from previous coach Tatiana Tarasova after disappointing performances early last season. Tarasova has told friends the skater's work ethic hardly was Puritan.”​

Interesting huh??

Dee

NorthernLite

On the Ice
I've said elsewhere even tho' I sometimes think Old Phil's a few sandwiches short of a picnic, I agree with a lot of what he says re: Sasha. I think she's had a very weird, distracted summer; her music and choreographer choices leave me cold; and she should listen to RW.
Lucy25 said:
Here's my prediction: Sarah will be back with Robin by year's end.
I don't have any particular inside info on this. But I don't see that happening. I think that train done left the station. And I've heard that Sarah's been working with at least one other person recently.

lavender

Record Breaker
Not a Sasha fan but I hate articles like this. If he's so disappointed in Sasha then maybe he should just say this directly to Sasha. This is a scathing article towards Sasha (not Michelle). He actually takes up for Michelle but you never know. Next time he'll be less than kind to Michelle. Sasha is injured. Is he implying that Sasha's not injured.

I mention earlier that the honeymoon is probably over between RW & SC. I'm sure it's over between all the new alliances that took place last year. That gushing never last. People stop being polite and get real. That's life.

I don't see Sarah back with RW but stranger things have happened.

2ndmark

Rinkside
Not that she is... but it would seem to be a bad move for Sasha to shop another coach. (The last thing any skater needs is to earn the old Bobek reputation for coaching turnover.) Let's hope things are fine between Sasha and Robin. And as for Sarah's "return" Robin rarely ever seems to mentions her. Regarding Sasha's training... perhaps she should have scheduled her time more wisely?Vacations, re-locations and rest are nice (and sometimes a necessity). But come on... at this level a strict training ethic is a must.

(By the way... let me go on the record saying I am a staunch Cohen fan.)

And let me throw this out there about music choices. Yes, Sasha is using some old chestnuts this season. But I still say I'd rather hear a warhorse than some poorly conceived "new" thing like some of skaters invariably dredge up. Case in point- Corwin's bullet-through-the-brain Middle Eastern LP last season. Yikes.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Hersch on Sasha

I think that he is right to criticize Sasha's musical choices, but for the wrong reason. "Dark Eyes" was her LP in '00/'01 -- when she had to withdraw from Nats. She re-uses it -- and she is hurt again. She needs a new SP -- fast!

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I generally don't like Hersh. He jumps ship too much. I'm not saying he has to be glowingly positive or have a chosen skating goddess, but he seems to choose one or two skaters to lambast for a few seasons and then he moves on to a new one. He spent years criticizing Michelle's every decision, and now it is Sasha's turn. I don't like it. I may not understand Sasha's choices, but they are her choices and it isn't like she pulled a 93-Worlds-Nancy at Campbell's. She gave a respectable performance. Lay off, Phil, and quit speculating! The media certainly doesn't help things with articles like this. LOL, I lost all respect for Hersh when (a few years ago) he said he had plenty of appropriate music suggestions for Kwan....get over yourself! I say let these young women live their own lives and make their own mistakes...they aren't at the top of their sport for being brainless hacks!

jesslily

Final Flight
Both MK and Sasha Cohen probably really do have back pain. They want to save some energy and give their best performances for Nationals and Worlds, where it really counts. They probably don't care about the Grand Prix prize money, they wouldn't depend on that to make a living.

In a way, it's good that you take lessons from a coach who only teaches yourself. You can get all the attention for the coach, but on the other hand, it's kind of hard when there's just the two of you.

Fossi

Final Flight
It's all good! I think the article was spot on about Sasha Cohen. All this crap in her journal, and no mention of skating. I knew something was brewing. I am keeping my fingers crossed for Robin and Sarah :rock: :love: They are an unbeatable combination.

lavender

Record Breaker
Oh and what's wrong with Sasha having Russians or any real choreographer put her programs together. It's not like anyone has been rushing to Robin to choreograph for them.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Ok the skating enthusiast in me loves it when we get coverage like this... but coming from a family of journalists I had to cringe at this article. Hirsh danced with libel a few times, especially when he got into the relationship between sasha and robin.

I love getting this insite, but at the same time I wish that journalists would cover news, not sensationalism in our sport!!! Articles like this dont help us be taken seriously by the mainstream.

Just my thoughts....

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I love Sasha's skating--I'm truly a fan. However, Sasha does what Sasha wants to do. Period. Perhaps (and I am speculating) Robin wanted Sasha to be more focused over the summer rather than spend time packing, traveling, modeling, etc. Sasha is headstrong, and perhaps they butted heads. Sounds like deja vu--hasn't she already been there before with TT? :sheesh: