Scathing article on Sasha and MK | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Scathing article on Sasha and MK

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Good post, Linny. The Nancy/Tonya debacle focused my attention on figure skating. Michelle's evolution from 94-96 made me stay. I probably am a Michelle "super" fan, but I don't look at that as a bad thing at all. A "super" fan is one thing, but a fanatic that can see no wrong in one particular skater and defends their viewpoints through personal attacks against other skaters, posters, etc. is something entirely different. There are so many fanatics that it has made many normal fans a bit weary of expressing themselves fully about their favorites.

However, I will be a skating "fanatic" (the sport as a whole I fanatically love...lol) long after Michelle is gone. She made me really dive into skating, but I've come to adore so many other skaters. I am even, recently, beginning to develop a true appreciation for ice dance...which is something I never thought would happen. But, skating is a perfect fit for me. I like the drama and the expression, the music, the stories, etc. And, I've really been so glad that I came to GS. People here are generally so diverse, compassionate, and open minded. This sport (generally) attracts great minds and good people.

Red, I understand about your interest level rising and falling. I have many other interests (mostly in history) and I go through phases. Some years I am reading anything and everything I can about the Romanovs and I have little room for anything else. Other times I am a GS regular and I'm completely immersed in skating. But, I have found that my interest in skating never diminishes. It is always there.

lavender

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
Actually it was internet searching after the olympics that eventually brought me to these forums. I still don't know exactly how I got into this, though. It was a mixture of things. And maybe just as quickly as I came, I'll leave. The only skaters I knew before were Michelle and Tara. I didn't know who anyone else was.

I am a "he", BTW. Actually, come to think of it I was searching for information on a couple of skaters (don't think I can precisely remember who) and somehow got "into it". (BTW I know Michelle WASN'T one of them.) I really can't say exactly what got me into skating, but now I'm kind of losing interest (my interest level seems to waver from time to time, but it's on a general downward slope now).

Thank you Red Dog for answering my questions.

I know how you feel. Even a fan like me can lose interest in this sport. I was a die-hard fan of figure skating before Michelle but for the last few years my love for the sport has wavered (a lot) for many reasons. Actually I can’t say I love this sport anymore. The only reason I’ve stuck around is because of Michelle.

I don't know but there's been a lot of times that I don't gush over Michelle and point out her flaws but I'm still a big or super fan.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Regarding fans: Many people don't want to refer to themselves as "fans" because it has then implication of being "fanactics". Perhaps it suffices to say the a person who would post on a form like this could say that they rilly rilly enjoy figure skating. Perhaps there is no particular skater that they cheer for, just any skater who is reaching his/her potential and/or making a contribution to the sport.

I can definitely understand this. I think in the (internet) skating world there is a tendency for people to lump "fans" with "fanatics", even though they are not the same thing (I make a distinction between the two). Fans are the people that generally support the skater and cheer her on (maybe among other things). Fanatics are those who will most likely go out of their way to defend their skater at any costs, have worship shrines in their houses, or demonstrate obsession with their skater in one way or another. In short, fans=casual, fanatics=obsessive.

Why does one have to like a particular skater in order to be considered a fan? I don't get it. Can't one just like the discipline (sport) in general? Or any skater that (mentioned above in the quote) is reaching her potential or is making a splash in the skating world? I got into skating not liking any one skater, and most likely will leave skating not liking any one skater. It's just me.

A "super" fan is one thing, but a fanatic that can see no wrong in one particular skater and defends their viewpoints through personal attacks against other skaters, posters, etc. is something entirely different. There are so many fanatics that it has made many normal fans a bit weary of expressing themselves fully about their favorites.

I agree. The (vocal) fanatics really ruin it for the rest of the fans. If you claim to like this skater, you're lumped in with the Fanatics/Super Fans. I think everyone should be able to voice his/her favorite skater(s) without fear of being labeled a "fanatic" or being criticized.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I know exactly what you mean, R.D. I got labeled as an "Anti Kwan" just because I made a few criticisms and didn't bow down to workship all things Kwan. (Of course the MANY compliments I made were overlooked...) The whole is thing is utterly ridiculous. I love SKATING! Period! If someone--ANYONE--skates a great program, I'm thrilled to have been able to watch it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I got labeled as an "Anti Kwan" just because I made a few criticisms and didn't bow down to workship all things Kwan.

Yeah...same thing happened to me once. I've made a few observations and this seems to be the general implied consensus I get (keep in mind, these are IMPRESSIONS; they don't reflect what people may actually think!):

- Not liking Kwan is considered a bad thing.
- In some places, liking Cohen is associated with being a crazy fanatic/or other negative attribute.
- Being a Kwan fanatic is OK, but being a fanatic of any other skater and you're labeled "crazy" or "rabid".
- In order to be a fan of skating, you have to like someone. (and as I said above, this just isn't true)
- If you seem to discuss one or more particular skaters, you're soon considered a fan of that skater(s).

Once again, this is only the IMPRESSION that I get from skating forums in general (unfortunately, that includes here at GS). This is NOT about individual people here, you understand, but the general mood of the whole forum(s). I'm not talking about skater-specific forums as that's where most of the fanatics tend to be concentrated.

It's possible that I'll add more later.

Nothing wrong with criticising a skater especially if it's corrective criticism.. Nothing wrong with disliking a skater especially if there is no malice towards the skater. Nothing wrong with liking a particular skater since it's a matter of taste.

Best thing for every poster is to be a fan of figure skating. We need the support the way we're disapperaring from TV.

Joe

No, no, everybody, you don't understand!

When the gates of heaven open and out tumbles an angel, sent by merciful Providence to grace our poor Earth -- Oh, too briefly! -- with celestial glory...

Yet some benighted souls still there are who perversely close their eyes and shutter their hearts against her -- well, what can that be but the work of the Enemy Himself?

MM :p

Last edited:

2ndmark

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
Nothing wrong with criticising a skater especially if it's corrective criticism.. Nothing wrong with disliking a skater especially if there is no malice towards the skater. Nothing wrong with liking a particular skater since it's a matter of taste.

Best thing for every poster is to be a fan of figure skating. We need the support the way we're disapperaring from TV.

Joe

Boy, Joe... you said it. Remember the glory days of the mid to late 90's when it seemed there were several televised competitions every weekend during the season? I watched them all (mulitple VCR's whirring overtime). For the past couple of season's I have watched every minute of the GPS on ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 and even (weeks later) on Lifetime because I feared it wouldn't last. And alas, this season we don't even get the short programs. Oh well, I long ago acknowledged that I'm a fanatic... I'll watch everything I can. From what I understand we should be grateful for what coverage we are still afforded... apparently it's much worse in other areas around the globe.