Scathing article on Sasha and MK | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Scathing article on Sasha and MK

cheekers85

Rinkside
Mathman said:
Skatefan, I think most observers would agree that Sasha has not made the most of all of her opportunities. But I still think that Hersh is exaggerating, and rather ridiculously so, when he implies that Sasha has not had a decent performance in the last four years. On the contrary, she has skated brilliantly time and again -- while also, to be sure, suffering some untimely disasters.

Also, to place Sasha's disappointments at the door of unimaginative choices of music seems equally silly to me. Sasha missed the Olympic podium in 2002, and the world podia in 2002 and 2003, because she fell on her jumps, not because she skated to overly familiar music.

JMO.

Mathman:)

I didn't read the article becuase I don't care too much about Hersh. I don't think he knows more then anyone else. (as per most reporters) But saying she hasn't had a decent skate in the last few years is just kind of stupid. Her perfomances haven't been perfect or gold level is a very legitimate thing to say. But they have certainly been worthy to challenging the podium and place. Exagerating to make a point is just dumb. I am curious about what he said about Michelle now too, so I suppose I will actually read the article.

Last edited:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I didn't read the article becuase I don't care too much about Hersh

I feel the same way about Hersh. He has the right to his opinion and to share it in any way he likes, but I generally don't respect the delivery. But, I do read his articles. I just take them with a grain of salt.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
then Kwan will win yet AGAIN (I'm counting Cohen out this time)

YEAH! Title number 9! But, I wouldn't count Cohen out just yet. Goodness, it is only November (sort of)! Give Sasha some credit. She is a young woman figuring out the way life works...and she is doing it before the eyes of the figure skating world. I think she will be ready for Nationals. She may win, she may not. But, she will be in Moscow.

cheekers85

Rinkside
I am agreeing with you again on both points. I figured I'd post just cause of that. ;) I figured I'll also add that I am not, not reading his work say out of some sort of protest... :laugh: I just generally don't care what he says as much as say what other people say on a board like this say. I do have extra time to read more on a weekend though.

Last edited:
I just got back from Pittsburgh and it's difficult to read all these speculations. I'll just add the talk going around the Mellon Arena.

Both Michelle and Sasha are suffering from back pain. That is true. How badly? No on one knows for sure. Apparently, MK has had the problem for some time and that's the real reason for dropping out of the GPs in 2003 and 04. Also SC had a rather bad lower back injury back in 2001 and apparently it effects her from time to time. Someone at the Melon said, that Sasha was told to stop skating for four weeks. Those are the stories going around.

Joe

euterpe

Medalist
As I understand it, Sasha is allowed to skate but is forbidden to practice multiple revolution jumps (i.e. triples) for four weeks. It's her jumps that need work, and she's not allowed to work on them.

I think that means she won't be going to Cup of China two weeks from now (the competition is within the 4 weeks/no jumps).

rjulie510

Rinkside
I don't understand. Both Michelle and Sasha have back problem, so they decided to withdraw from GP events to take care of their back problems. What's wrong with that? With next season being all-important Olympic season, they know they need to take care of this now. I'd rather see them miss GP and take care of their body rather than going on with their schedule and aggrevate/worsen their back.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I wondered too how Robin would react to Sasha having others choreograph her programs. Robin constantly tinkered with Sarah's programs to make them better. Would she have the same latitude of changing programs done by other choreographers? This could be an issue between Sasha and Robin. Also I wondered if perhaps Sasha was practicing the 3/3s while she was skating on her own for a month. That might explain why Sasha said she was practicing them and Robin said they hadn't had time to work on 3/3s and quads :sheesh:

I read Phil's columns but take him with a very large grain of salt!

Maureen

R.D.

Record Breaker
Red Dog weren't you a Michelle fan? Just kind of confused and curious.

I guess you might have been able to say that in 1998 or 2002 (when I was cheering for her to win the olympics), but no, I'm not an MK fan at all right now.

I always thought RedDog was a Tara fan turned Sasha fan? But not a Sarah fan. Since we're guessing, I'd say he isn't a Kwan fan.

Tara fan?? I never really liked Tara, even though she hails from the Houston area :cool: And, no matter what a couple of internet posters may say, I'm not a Cohen fan. And, yes, you're right, I'm not a Kwan fan :laugh:

Wow...it may sound like I don't like anybody here :laugh: but I just have a very specific standard of "fan" that doesn't fit how I feel about any figure skater.

One last thing:
YEAH! Title number 9! But, I wouldn't count Cohen out just yet. Goodness, it is only November (sort of)! Give Sasha some credit. She is a young woman figuring out the way life works...and she is doing it before the eyes of the figure skating world. I think she will be ready for Nationals. She may win, she may not. But, she will be in Moscow.

I'm sure she's doing her best to work things out. But in the meantime, her skating will most likely suffer from what's going on with her now. Just my honest $.02 - she may get on the world team if she's able to compete (or maybe she WILL- the judges will make sure she gets on :sheesh: ) but I doubt she's gonna win.

It's interesting that both are scheduled to skate Marshalls in early December. If they show up for this, well..... so much for the back pains.

Joe

lavender

Record Breaker
Ok Red Dog..I'm still curious. :) What brought you to the sport? Didn't you use to like one particular skater?

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
It would just have been nice (for the fans and officials and other skaters) for her to give a clear, concise reason to why she pulled out.

I dunno Red Dog, explanation was pretty clear and concise to me. She didn't want to skate in the Grand Prix. End of story............. :eek:hwell: 42

Kuchana

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I just got back from Pittsburgh and it's difficult to read all these speculations. I'll just add the talk going around the Mellon Arena.

Both Michelle and Sasha are suffering from back pain. That is true. How badly? No on one knows for sure. Apparently, MK has had the problem for some time and that's the real reason for dropping out of the GPs in 2003 and 04. Also SC had a rather bad lower back injury back in 2001 and apparently it effects her from time to time. Someone at the Melon said, that Sasha was told to stop skating for four weeks. Those are the stories going around.

Joe

Thanks for the info. In regards to Michelle's back problem, since she's had this back problem for quite some time and you stating that it's the main reason why she dropped out of the GPs in 2003 and 2004, I don't get why the skating world and people are giving her so much flack for it? Although, I don't recall if she did state back problems for not competing in GPs in 2003.

Plus it seems to me that since Sasha has had rather a bad lower back injury since 2001, then naturally it would play a contributing factor to her not doing her best? Even though I'm not a Sasha fan, I would sympathsize with her since she's had this back problem for quite some time. It could be a reason in my thinking of why she hasn't been able to skate her best.

Guessing here for both Michelle and Sasha.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
lavender said:
Ok Red Dog..I'm still curious. :) What brought you to the sport? Didn't you use to like one particular skater?

Just curious.... Why expect it to be one particular skater to bring one into the sport of figure skating? For example I started being just a fan of figure skating and much later some skaters became more favoured by me than some others.

Marjaana

Joesitz said:
It's interesting that both are scheduled to skate Marshalls in early December. If they show up for this, well..... so much for the back pains.
I expect them to be there for Marshalls. This is one of the biggest competitions of the season, along with Campbells and the spring thing. Unlike the Grand Prix, which people seem to blow off without a second thought, the so-called cheesefests have the biggest purses and attract the top competitors.

Plus, Michelle and Sasha can take it easy on their backs. No CoP means they will not have to hurt themselves going for that extra level three spin. Michelle specifically cited the extra positions on her layback as the culprit in her soreness.

Mathman

lavender

Record Breaker
Jaana said:
Just curious.... Why expect it to be one particular skater to bring one into the sport of figure skating? For example I started being just a fan of figure skating and much later some skaters became more favoured by me than some others.

Marjaana

I don't expect it but it happens. I read how Michelle's the reason some took notice of this sport all the time. Also Red Dog mentioned that he/she wasn't really a figure skating fan so I thought there had to be a particular skater (s) that caught his/her eye.

Linny

Final Flight
Fans, Spans and Pains

Regarding fans: Many people don't want to refer to themselves as "fans" because it has then implication of being "fanactics". Perhaps it suffices to say the a person who would post on a form like this could say that they rilly rilly enjoy figure skating. Perhaps there is no particular skater that they cheer for, just any skater who is reaching his/her potential and/or making a contribution to the sport.

The length of time (Span) that a poster has enjoyed figure skating isn't really material. It may affect their point of view if, perhaps, they never say Janet Lynn skate (I never did). I doubt that most people had their interest peaked by a particular skater... but I've never taken a survey. I roller skated as a kid - like many kids of my generation - and was attracted to figure skating by an emphathy for how hard it was. I'd thought I was pretty cool because I could go backwards and execute a decent three turn (do they call them three turns on ice?). I have nothing but admiration for a person who could jump and spin.

Plus, I love music. Watching and understanding figure skating helps me to work in my own sport - dressage.

Regarding pains: is a layback spin required at Marshalls? That may make the difference between Michelle and Sasha participating or not participating.

Linny

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Laybacks

As I understand it, laybacks are only a required element in the SP, and, Marshall's will not have an SP. Also, Marshall's will be judged under the old 6.0 system, so multiple positions in a layback to make it a level 3 spin will not be required.

R.D.

Record Breaker
lavender said:

Actually it was internet searching after the olympics that eventually brought me to these forums. I still don't know exactly how I got into this, though. It was a mixture of things. And maybe just as quickly as I came, I'll leave. The only skaters I knew before were Michelle and Tara. I didn't know who anyone else was.

I don't expect it but it happens. I read how Michelle's the reason some took notice of this sport all the time. Also Red Dog mentioned that he/she wasn't really a figure skating fan so I thought there had to be a particular skater (s) that caught his/her eye.

I am a "he", BTW. Actually, come to think of it I was searching for information on a couple of skaters (don't think I can precisely remember who) and somehow got "into it". (BTW I know Michelle WASN'T one of them.) I really can't say exactly what got me into skating, but now I'm kind of losing interest (my interest level seems to waver from time to time, but it's on a general downward slope now).

Last edited: