Senior Ladies Need To Up The Age Requirement | Page 24 | Golden Skate

Senior Ladies Need To Up The Age Requirement

Lzbee

Final Flight
Who it is o_O? As far as I remember Alina Zagitova is the most popular skater right now, followed by Trusova, they are not males.

... Yuzuru Hanyu...

Honestly, Nathan Chen also has a massive amount of popularity from what I can see.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
It's still kind of interesting, though. People do not seem to have any interest in seeing men leaping high and twirling in the air. But they do like to see teenage girls leaping and twirling.

What would you say about those who seem to be only interested in "mature bodies" then... :devil:

ruga

Final Flight
Both Zagitova and Trusova are way more popular than Hanyu, good morning.
Nathan who?

Yuzuru is by far the most popular skater, I can't recall anyone who would generate so much attention. From Pooh rains to internet sites and fan accounts dedicated just to him to massive crowds of people wanting to welcome him in Japan. Events he completes at are sold out almost immediately. For someone who doesn't watch Men's skating it may not seem so, but various facts suggest that he is the most recognized skater these days. Zagitova can match his popularity, but Trusova still has a way to go. Nathan isn't doing too badly either, his rivalry with Yuzuru and his technical content get him attention as well.

Casual

On the Ice
Yuzuru is by far the most popular skater, I can't recall anyone who would generate so much attention. From Pooh rains to internet sites and fan accounts dedicated just to him to massive crowds of people wanting to welcome him in Japan. Events he completes at are sold out almost immediately. For someone who doesn't watch Men's skating it may not seem so, but various facts suggest that he is the most recognized skater these days. Zagitova can match his popularity, but Trusova still has a way to go. Nathan isn't doing too badly either, his rivalry with Yuzuru and his technical content get him attention as well.

Of course Yuzuru is more popular, in real life. Just watch any competition or show. And yet, statistics on this board do not jive with his actual level of popularity:

Zagitova's fan page, from 8/25/16 to 12/31/19 (1223 days), 2,762,885 "views" = 2,259 views per day

Yuzuru Hanyu's fan page, from 7/01/19 to 12/31/19 (183 days), 240,842 "views" = 1,316 views per day

Internet "views" can be manipulated. But who draws bigger crowds and who is paid more for shows, advertising and sponsorships?

lappo

Final Flight
Of course Yuzuru is more popular, in real life. Just watch any competition or show. And yet, statistics on this board do not jive with his actual level of popularity:

Zagitova's fan page, from 8/25/16 to 12/31/19 (1223 days), 2,762,885 "views" = 2,259 views per day

Yuzuru Hanyu's fan page, from 7/01/19 to 12/31/19 (183 days), 240,842 "views" = 1,316 views per day

Internet "views" can be manipulated. But who draws bigger crowds and who is paid more for shows, advertising and sponsorships?

I see you are taking part on this forum since only 2018 so you cannot remember the time when Yuzuru had one fan feast thread per season and it was by far the most visited and the biggest in posts of all the forum (I think he needed a thread by season because they became to big to manage). Then there was a secession and many fans of Yuzuru created another site dedicated to him exclusively while only some of them are still posting on this site.
BTW, like his skating style or not, I doubt there can be someone who cannot claim that Yuzuru is by far the biggest star in FS.

Casual

On the Ice
BTW, like his skating style or not, I doubt there can be someone who cannot claim that Yuzuru is by far the biggest star in FS.

He is definitely the biggest star and the most popular. "View" statistics are meaningless because it's so easy to manipulate them.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
and it is also interresting to see the number on viewers of the videos from GP series, I mean like Anna's frree skate from Vegas or Sasha's gala from Skate Canada have millons of views. So, although there are some who claim "Longevity in a sport creates more followers, in terms of fans", but the truth is that these young girls are those who bring the attention of the public back to the sport. If the number of fans is what matters. For me, it is a sport and those who are best in the sport should be the ones who should have the opportunity to attend cometitions, these are those whoa re developong it. I don't want this sport to be conserved by fuddy-duddies in the 1995.

Actually no. Not in non FS countries, not in Asian countries. European & North American countries maybe. But then, these girls disappear after 2 to 3 years.

What is the message it's sending ? -> Make it by 18 or get out. That's shorter than gymnastics. In terms of promoting the sport globally as viable for young girls to participate in. Key word : global.

As for popularity of figure skating, as per what's reported in the news (not Golden Skate posts), it is the 2X OG champ from Japan that's generates the most interest.

That's how it is with other sports too. The top athletes are usually around at least 2 Olympic cycles(8 years)

Meanwhile whether its Yulia, Adelina, Zagitova or Aliona or Anna or Trusova, they are not around long enough for the general public to remember them. No disrespect to them but their faces are interchangeable, people cant tell which Russian girl won what.

Albus

Match Penalty

I know it is very hard to deal with for some people, especially conservative ones and Hanyu fans, but Alina is by far the most popular figure skater right now. She doesn't need a tiny group of Japanese fans to perform something flash mob to be the #1. She is praised even by politicians not only in her own country. There are 400000+ blog materials about her only on sports.ru, which is by far the most popular sports portal in the world. And she leads the top, when Hanyu is nowhere near. She is the face of figure skating. Deal with it, times had changed long ago

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Actually no. Not in non FS countries, not in Asian countries. European & North American countries maybe. But then, these girls disappear after 2 to 3 years.

What is the message it's sending ? -> Make it by 18 or get out. That's shorter than gymnastics. In terms of promoting the sport globally as viable for young girls to participate in. Key word : global.

As for popularity of figure skating, as per what's reported in the news (not Golden Skate posts), it is the 2X OG champ from Japan that's generates the most interest.

That's how it is with other sports too. The top athletes are usually around at least 2 Olympic cycles(8 years)

Meanwhile whether its Yulia, Adelina, Zagitova or Aliona or Anna or Trusova, they are not around long enough for the general public to remember them. No disrespect to them but their faces are interchangeable, people cant tell which Russian girl won what.

Well, to be fair, general public outside of Japan has no clue who Yuzuru Hanyu is, and that’s saying something.
And let me tell you, majority of the Germans I know have no clue about Katarina Witt either, so ... you know, I can hardly say FS is really that popular of a sport outside of countries like Japan and Russia.
Majority of people who are not interested in the sport, will not know anyone, unless it’s an olympic champion from their country, and even then it’s quite hard to say all these people are known.

But Russians are fairly invested in FS (when it comes to russian athletes), and always have been, hence Yulia, Adelina, Alina, Evgenia, Plushenko, Yagudin, Navka, Averbukh, Tarasova are super famous and well known even to the general public.
I mean we can argue about who brought more interest to the sport, an athlete who competed longer but haven’t won any major titles, or the one who competed less but won a lot of titles?

Imo, it’s not about longevity, and not even about wins, although they do matter. It’s about personalities and their stories. Some younger ones can bring a lot more people to the sport due to their inspiring stories compared to some older athletes.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I know it is very hard to deal with for some people, especially conservative ones and Hanyu fans, but Alina is by far the most popular figure skater right now. She doesn't need a tiny group of Japanese fans to perform something flash mob to be the #1. She is praised even by politicians not only in her own country. There are 400000+ blog materials about her only on sports.ru, which is by far the most popular sports portal in the world. And she leads the top, when Hanyu is nowhere near. She is the face of figure skating. Deal with it, times had changed long ago

That’s a bit much.
We can say Alina is extremely popular in Russia, and probably popular in Japan too, but Hanyu has a god status in Japan.
Popularity is relative.
Some Indian Bollywood star is in fact more popular than any Hollywood celebrity simply due to the population there is in India.
Same thing can apply to this case: in Russia, Alina is more popular than Yuzuru, and in Japan Yuzuru is a 100% more popular than Alina, although she’s very much loved in Japan too.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Who it is o_O? As far as I remember Alina Zagitova is the most popular skater right now, followed by Trusova, they are not males.

I am afraid that this is incorrect. As everyone else has said, in no universe, figure skating or otherwise, is Alina Zagitova more popular than Yuzu. Probably in Russia, but worldwide? No way, no how :) I’m not saying she’s not popular, I am saying she is not as popular as Yuzu.

Sasha? Sasha more popular than Yuzuru Hanyu worldwide? I can’t even:slink:

I don’t like to think what will happen to attendance at skating comps worldwide when Yuzu finally does retire. That is why this proud fuddy duddy who loves old fashioned skating and lives in my cave where I rail against progress:laugh: would love to see regulations that encourage skating through two Olympic cycles or more.

When you reach my age, you take the long view;)

Lzbee

Final Flight
I'm from the UK. Ask a person if they know Yuzuru Hanyu and many will have heard the name. Ask them who Alina Zagitova is, well I can't speak for everyone but no one I know would recognise that name if they're not a skating fan. That's no disrespect to Alina, she is great but it's true that longevity in the sport gives the general public more time to know about you. Plus, East Asia is obsessed with Yuzuru and East Asia has a very big population.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I'm from the UK. Ask a person if they know Yuzuru Hanyu and many will have heard the name. Ask them who Alina Zagitova is, well I can't speak for everyone but no one I know would recognise that name if they're not a skating fan. That's no disrespect to Alina, she is great but it's true that longevity in the sport gives the general public more time to know about you. Plus, East Asia is obsessed with Yuzuru and East Asia has a very big population.

As for Yuzuru, there was no doubt here about his popularity, japanese middle age women (and not just japanese) love him. Though, the discussion was about ladies and we are matching ladies with ladies, because allegedly ladies like Alina are less popular than other ladies (though no exaple given). And I'm pretty convinced that when I will go through average european country, I will much more likely meet someone who knows e.g. Alina than probably any other active lady (and the only ones that could threaten her would be probably russian ladies as well). Or your statement is somehow proving that e.g. Loena Hendrickx or Nicole Schott would be more known to the people?

And again, as for Japan, Yuzu is of course known much more than Alina, but he is known more than anybody else incl. their own ladies. But if you compare ladies with ladies, than Alina is winning.

KatGrace1925

Medalist

That's not remotely true. Yuzuru Hanyu has a distinction of being popular outside of the figure skating fandom in a greater way than anyone else I have ever seen. I come across him everywhere I go online these days. He's become super popular among international kpop fans which are millions of people all over the globe. Those going to events to see him are not just one flash mob of Japanese fans as you say. I'm not even his fan but he's literally the only skater I encounter in other fandom materials and outside of my online activities that are related to skating. He has merch that sells out quickly, I know Japanese shoping services also buy up his merch to sell to fans outside of Japan because those fans love him. After his second olympic gold medal he became even more prolific, my friends know who he is and they don't know anyone else in figure skating. When I mention skating his name comes up the most often, I have never heard Alina's mentioned outside of groups of people where figure skating is popular.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

This. I am from the US. You will be able to walk down the street and find persons, not many, but a relative few, who know Yuzu.
You will find *no one* who can name Alena, Anna or Sasha;( here I am talking not about dedicated skating fans but the general public. )

Maybe, just maybe, you’ll be able to find somebody who knows Alina because she was in the Olympics, but just as many people know Zhenya because she was also in the Olympics. It will be less than those who know Yuzu.

And of course middle aged ladies rock. :rock: I am proud that the members of Goldenskate would not be so sexist or ageist so as to dismiss anyone’s fans because they were supposedly middle-aged ladies. And of course anyone who thinks that Yuzu’s are *limited* to middle-age ladies in Japan, I think must not be paying attention.;)

Multiple Olympic cycles for all skaters! :clap:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

This. I am from the US. You will be able to walk down the street and find persons, not many, but a relative few, who know Yuzu.
You will find *no one* who can name Alena, Anna or Sasha;( here I am talking not about dedicated skating fans but the general public. )

Maybe, just maybe, you’ll be able to find somebody who knows Alina because she was in the Olympics, but just as many people know Zhenya because she was also in the Olympics. It will be less than those who know Yuzu.

And of course middle aged ladies rock. :rock: I am proud that the members of Goldenskate would not be so sexist or ageist so as to dismiss anyone’s fans because they were supposedly middle-aged ladies. And of course anyone who thinks that Yuzu’s are *limited* to middle-age ladies in Japan, I think must not be paying attention.;)

Multiple Olympic cycles for all skaters! :clap: