Senior Ladies Short Program | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Senior Ladies Short Program

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If skating fans were forbidden to critique programs, then there wouldn't be any need for discussion boards such as this.

Tigger

Final Flight
Anyone have a vid of Mira?

I just watched Joannie's. She did nicely apart from the missed jumps but I'm not wild about this SP. The music doesn't have any shape, it just goes on and on. And I don't understand her costume choice. The music would seem to call for a slinky black unitard - and maybe a red cat's paw named Jimmy. ;)

LOL!!! Oh, now that was good!! Thanks for the laugh on what was a very dreary day weather wise here. :)

You do have a point though. I mean, from the moment I saw it at Skate Canada, I couldn't figure out the colour or the design. I mean, pink and that dress just doesn't go w/a rock guitar piece. Now if Joannie was skating to a piece of Greek traditional music or something from Zorba The Greek, then at least the dress design would make sense, but it doesn't.

I was actually wondering if maybe she could borrow Josee's costume from the Stairway To Heaven ensemble of CSOI 98. Even if she couldn't fit into Josee's, then I'm sure one of the dresses from that piece would. The bright colours of those costumes, the overall sequins on it and the design would certainly fit a Hendrix program better than the dress she's got right now.

I think it would also allow Joannie to let it rip a bit more maybe? I mean, the Little Wing dress, it's such a pretty dress/your typical Ice Princess dress and I've also wondered if maybe that might be holding Joannie back a titch. I know I hold myself differently posture wise when I wear something "pretty", regardless if it's a dress or slacks/top combination. It's just something I've wondered whenever I've watched her skate the program.

Although, I'd love it if we did see Joannie in a leather outfit. I mean, it's Jimi Hendrix for crying out loud, but just about any kind of rock guitar piece should at the very least have maybe a mock pleather jacket as part of the costume....I don't know. I do wonder how much the costume and how it just does not go w/the music or overall feel of the program affects her presentation scores. Not all that much in Canada, I know, but in the world....I do wonder.

Anyway....That's my two and a bit more cents. ;)

As for bashing....I've only been a member for 24 hrs, but what bashing? Honest, but respectful criticism yes, but I haven't seen a bash of a skater and/or a member here as of yet. Very nice to see too. :)

scs

Rinkside
I too wondered about Joannie's costume--it's gorgeous but doesn't appear to go with the music. Is it, perhaps, meant to be the opposite of the music--gentle and soft? Just a thought....

amateur

Final Flight
I too wondered about Joannie's costume--it's gorgeous but doesn't appear to go with the music. Is it, perhaps, meant to be the opposite of the music--gentle and soft? Just a thought....

That's what I think... like she's not trying to be cliché..."I'm skating to blues/rock so I gotta dress in black leather or blue" and have that count as part of her interpretation... instead she's emphasizing the simple feminine and letting the skating do the talking as to interpretation. Typical of Joannie's style - and I like it!

jayta

Rinkside
Not necessarily here in this thread but in others in this forum. I read it at the Mira thread and then came here....*sigh* It gets old.

Critiqueing is fine. But sometimes when it has to do more with a skaters personal choice in how she wants to represent herself, it's not fair for us to say it's stupid because society doesn't view 'beauty' that way. But that isn't for this thread.

I was excited about Mira's promise when I first saw her come onto the scene. She had and does have so much potential. However I think that it will take a lot of experience and heartache and growing up for her to find 'herself'. I think she has a good sense of who she is, which is why she doesn't conform to typical 'beauty'. I'm proud of her for that. As for how she acts towards her coaches, well heresay. And as it's not acceptable in court, not a big fan when other's use it possibly out of context to discredit a person as a good/bad person.

Anyways, my point is, she does need to mature a bit. Some are more awkward than others and take a little to find their 'style'. I believe she can make it to the top if she picks up some speed and really decides to find her own 'skating style' and polish it. I think she needs to be able to really express herself instead of letting others do it for her.

mvick

Rinkside
We should remember that Mira Leung is only 17 years old! Not many skaters at that age have develop their presentation to such a high level. To have this expectation on skaters that age is too much personally. Joannie, Emanuel, Buttle and even Yagudin were developing the mature style when I saw them compete in their teens. Personally, I saw the develop mature style when they all hit their 20s. Yagudin presentation change from when he got the world bronze medal in 1997 (17 years old I believe) to his Olympic gold medal skate in 2002 at age of 22.

As Leung grows up and continues to work on her presentation, she will have the presentation and her program components marks will reflect it.

my two cents