Sesamoid fracture/inflammation relief | Golden Skate

Sesamoid fracture/inflammation relief

theadultskater

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Hello! I wanted to contribute back to the community and post some information on what I learned about managing sesamoid issues.

For anyone that has fractured or inflamed sesamoids, here is a taping method that works for me:

I made “donuts” out of a felt sheet by cutting it into 4 small squares and cutting holes in the middle, then stacking them to allow room for the bones to poke through but not make contact with the floor. You can also find these donuts at the pharmacy, the ones used for bunions should work! Then I used leukotape K (the stretchy one) and wrapped it around my entire foot (start at the outside of the big toe’s metatarsal to provide anchorage, then wrap around the bottom and around over the top of the foot, but below the toes) to provide support to the metatarsals and reduce friction/inflammation! (Not too tight, just enough to provide some support!)

Who knew we had two little bones under our big toe!

Prevention: People with high arches are more susceptible to this injury. Wear a good insole with good arch support. Having a lower heeled boot could also help. This probably happened to me from putting too much weight and pressure from jumps and tying my high heeled skates too tightly. I knew something was wrong when I was getting nerve pain that shot around the arch and around the big toe as I would step down the stairs. Applying pressure to the bones also hurts. I am off the ice while I recover, but applying ice to the injury (ironic!) I am also on anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxant medications.

Hope this helps someone!

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Hello!
I was just about to post a thread asking to hear experiences about this same issue.
I'm having a bad pain around my big toe's bone on the sole of my foot, only in my right foot.
I don't think it's fractured since the pain goes away as soon as I take my skates off/stop skating, and in some practices, my foot just goes numb (which I'm happy, since I prefer the numbness than the pain) and I can walk normally to and from the rink and everywhere without pain.

I immediately thought it was a boot problem (no issue whatsoever in my left foot), went to my local Edea dealer/boot fitter (I skate in Edea Concertos) and she made the toe box and around the arch wider. My feet have very high arches and are narrow. I spoke to my coach about it and she left my right skater on the punch tool (we have these skate punch tools in my rink) overnight. Nothing worked.
Sometimes the pain is very, very bad and it radiates from that bone (which through. research I understand it is the sesamoid bone) all the way to my arch, on the inside side of my foot.
I tried wearing one of those foot cushions under my toes.s sole bones to relief the pressure, but then my arch really, REALLY hurt and I had to remove it. I've tried Jackson supreme insoles, SuperFeet Carbon insoles and nothing works. I go to the rink 5 times a week, I have one hour of private coaching sessions twice a week and one group practice session with coach once a week, the other days I go to practice on my own, and in most sessions I get through them by taking painkillers only.

When I joined GoldSkate I mentioned somewhere I had a pain in my foot and someone sent me a private message suggesting I go to a podiatrist, however podiatry is not a recognized medical speciality here in Japan. I'm thinking about going top a sports medicine doctor or an orthopedist, but I'm not sure they understand anything about figure skating.
Many skaters around here deal with pain, but same as me, they either toughen it up, take painkillers, do home remedies/solutions customizing their skates on their own in the inside of the skate, to alleviate the pain.

I will try your method above and I hope it works. Not sure if I should make a separate thread to ask if someone else here has had experiences with this same kind of pain. I'm aware many skaters here are in the USA and just go to a podiatrist, but it's not really an option around here.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello!
I was just about to post a thread asking to hear experiences about this same issue.
I'm having a bad pain around my big toe's bone on the sole of my foot, only in my right foot.
I don't think it's fractured since the pain goes away as soon as I take my skates off/stop skating, and in some practices, my foot just goes numb (which I'm happy, since I prefer the numbness than the pain) and I can walk normally to and from the rink and everywhere without pain.

I immediately thought it was a boot problem (no issue whatsoever in my left foot), went to my local Edea dealer/boot fitter (I skate in Edea Concertos) and she made the toe box and around the arch wider. My feet have very high arches and are narrow. I spoke to my coach about it and she left my right skater on the punch tool (we have these skate punch tools in my rink) overnight. Nothing worked.
Sometimes the pain is very, very bad and it radiates from that bone (which through. research I understand it is the sesamoid bone) all the way to my arch, on the inside side of my foot.
I tried wearing one of those foot cushions under my toes.s sole bones to relief the pressure, but then my arch really, REALLY hurt and I had to remove it. I've tried Jackson supreme insoles, SuperFeet Carbon insoles and nothing works. I go to the rink 5 times a week, I have one hour of private coaching sessions twice a week and one group practice session with coach once a week, the other days I go to practice on my own, and in most sessions I get through them by taking painkillers only.

When I joined GoldSkate I mentioned somewhere I had a pain in my foot and someone sent me a private message suggesting I go to a podiatrist, however podiatry is not a recognized medical speciality here in Japan. I'm thinking about going top a sports medicine doctor or an orthopedist, but I'm not sure they understand anything about figure skating.
Many skaters around here deal with pain, but same as me, they either toughen it up, take painkillers, do home remedies/solutions customizing their skates on their own in the inside of the skate, to alleviate the pain.

I will try your method above and I hope it works. Not sure if I should make a separate thread to ask if someone else here has had experiences with this same kind of pain. I'm aware many skaters here are in the USA and just go to a podiatrist, but it's not really an option around here.

Hi. I'm sorry to hear you are having this pain and issue with your foot. Hopefully the OP's suggestions will help you.
I'm going to suggest that it still might be the boot. If you have very high arches, you should not be wearing and Edea boot at all.
There are brands that will better accommodate your arch and foot shape better. If you need suggestions, feel free to ask.

Good luck! :)

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
@Ic3Rabbit thank you so much for your kind reply. :)
Yes, I'll try OP's suggestions tomorrow during practice. These are my 2nd Concertos and I never had this issue until 2 or 3 weeks ago when it started. I've examined my routine to see if I did anything that could've caused this pain but no, it's from home to the rink, from the rink come back home (5X a week) and every 2 weeks supermarket trip with my husband. I haven't gained an incredible amount of weight either, (163 cm 51 kg). My coaches are watching me closely to see if I'm doing strange things on the ice that could be causing this pain but so far nothing. And my left foot is pain free and comfortable.

I go to the boot fitter that my coaches recommended (about 1 hr 30 minutes ride each way) and went there last Thursday, full of questions about what's happening. She watched me tie my skates and said I'm tying them properly, so it's not that either. She heat molded them twice around my big toe's side all the way to the arch. I went back to wearing the Edea insole in this foot, skated on Friday & Saturday, pain wasn't bad, but yesterday Sunday it was awful and I had a bad group practice session that left me in tears. Today is a day off from the rink and I didn't even do anything off ice exercises besides a little bit of stretching here at home, trying to rest the foot. Tomorrow I will try the suggestions above.

At this point I welcome and am grateful for any suggestions you know and can give me. I didn't do things without consulting professionals involved in my skating (coaches & boot fitter) but lately this pain has me upset since I can't even practice for as long as I usually praticed in the past and not even they seem to know what's wrong :( I can't keep practicing things only on my left foot because it doesn't hurt, I'll be left behind :(

Thank you and I apologize for this big venting message.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
@Ic3Rabbit thank you so much for your kind reply. :)
Yes, I'll try OP's suggestions tomorrow during practice. These are my 2nd Concertos and I never had this issue until 2 or 3 weeks ago when it started. I've examined my routine to see if I did anything that could've caused this pain but no, it's from home to the rink, from the rink come back home (5X a week) and every 2 weeks supermarket trip with my husband. I haven't gained an incredible amount of weight either, (163 cm 51 kg). My coaches are watching me closely to see if I'm doing strange things on the ice that could be causing this pain but so far nothing. And my left foot is pain free and comfortable.

I go to the boot fitter that my coaches recommended (about 1 hr 30 minutes ride each way) and went there last Thursday, full of questions about what's happening. She watched me tie my skates and said I'm tying them properly, so it's not that either. She heat molded them twice around my big toe's side all the way to the arch. I went back to wearing the Edea insole in this foot, skated on Friday & Saturday, pain wasn't bad, but yesterday Sunday it was awful and I had a bad group practice session that left me in tears. Today is a day off from the rink and I didn't even do anything off ice exercises besides a little bit of stretching here at home, trying to rest the foot. Tomorrow I will try the suggestions above.

At this point I welcome and am grateful for any suggestions you know and can give me. I didn't do things without consulting professionals involved in my skating (coaches & boot fitter) but lately this pain has me upset since I can't even practice for as long as I usually praticed in the past and not even they seem to know what's wrong :( I can't keep practicing things only on my left foot because it doesn't hurt, I'll be left behind :(

Thank you and I apologize for this big venting message.
You're welcome. But again, as a pro, who has worn and tried(tested) many brands and blades and myself has very high arches: I do not recommend Edea. You'd be much happier in a Risport or Jackson.

Also, what shoes are you wearing when off ice and in every day wear?
Again, good luck!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
@LolaSkatesInJapan I noticed (IIRC) in another thread you mentioned you used to be a ballerina. The years you did that and the wear on your feet and legs are probably not helping the situation either sadly. :( But it's great otherwise that you were a ballerina. :)

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
They don't sell Jackson goods around the figure skating shops here (the Jackson supreme insoles I bought I imported it from a shop in Europe), only Edea, Risport, Aura, Golden Horse (nobody I know wears these) & Riedell. This is the only official Edea dealer in Japan and boot fitter my coaches sent me to, by the way https://www.icespace.co.jp/shoes.php

If the suggestions above don't know in my Concertos, I'll go to there again and ask to try on the Risport Royal Pro. I hope they sell them to me (they have a form for each skater who shops for skates there with name, contact info, club, rink, coaches names and details on what was done each time the skater goes there to have work done on skates) since I wouldn't buy skates online without trying them on and getting fitted first.
I'm not cheap regarding equipment, can afford it and open to try whatever it takes to be back skating pain free as I once was.

Thank you so much again for your time and suggestions :)

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
@LolaSkatesInJapan I noticed (IIRC) in another thread you mentioned you used to be a ballerina. The years you did that and the wear on your feet and legs are probably not helping the situation either sadly. :( But it's great otherwise that you were a ballerina. :)

YES! I started at 3 y/o, went pro as a teenager and was forced to retire at 25 due to a near death car accident that put me on rehab for 2 years. To be quite honest with you, I've wondered if the maximum strict training regime I grew up with is taking a toll on me. My only repetitive ballet injuries were on my right knee which saw 3 surgeries during my career and a stress fracture on my left tibia which was healed too and I haven't had any issues with these so far in figure skating, thankfully.
Having experience on doing whatever it takes to keep practicing due to my prior career, I've tried everything I can think with this right big toe bone pain. Have also thought maybe I've become weak and if it were in my ballet years I'd toughen it up and keep going, and maybe that's what I should do.
Thank you so much ❤️

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
@LolaSkatesInJapan do they have something like Superfeet available in Japan? These have better arch support than the Edea insole and might help take pressure off the sesamoid area while you are looking for new boots (agree 100% with Ic3Rabbit re recommendation on boots!)

One caveat - I have hypermobile ankles (not sesamoiditis, but both conditions are often treated with arch supports). I've tried Superfeet Yellow before and found the insoles were a bit thin at the ball area. I have custom orthotics now which provide more cushioning. I got them from a podiatrist, but in Japan a sports doctor or orthopedist might be able to do this too. I'm sure some of them have seen skaters with your issue considering how popular the sport is in Japan.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
They don't sell Jackson goods around the figure skating shops here (the Jackson supreme insoles I bought I imported it from a shop in Europe), only Edea, Risport, Aura, Golden Horse (nobody I know wears these) & Riedell. This is the only official Edea dealer in Japan and boot fitter my coaches sent me to, by the way https://www.icespace.co.jp/shoes.php

If the suggestions above don't know in my Concertos, I'll go to there again and ask to try on the Risport Royal Pro. I hope they sell them to me (they have a form for each skater who shops for skates there with name, contact info, club, rink, coaches names and details on what was done each time the skater goes there to have work done on skates) since I wouldn't buy skates online without trying them on and getting fitted first.
I'm not cheap regarding equipment, can afford it and open to try whatever it takes to be back skating pain free as I once was.

Thank you so much again for your time and suggestions :)
Ok, let me know how it goes, you are always welcome to DM me. Also, Golden Horse is a brand I have suggested to beginning skaters in SE Asia. Many Chinese TP skaters wear them and they are made there. :)
YES! I started at 3 y/o, went pro as a teenager and was forced to retire at 25 due to a near death car accident that put me on rehab for 2 years. To be quite honest with you, I've wondered if the maximum strict training regime I grew up with is taking a toll on me. My only repetitive ballet injuries were on my right knee which saw 3 surgeries during my career and a stress fracture on my left tibia which was healed too and I haven't had any issues with these so far in figure skating, thankfully.
Having experience on doing whatever it takes to keep practicing due to my prior career, I've tried everything I can think with this right big toe bone pain. Have also thought maybe I've become weak and if it were in my ballet years I'd toughen it up and keep going, and maybe that's what I should do.
Thank you so much ❤️
You're welcome!:ghug:

theadultskater

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Hello!

Hello skater!

I just got back from Japan a few weeks ago. Are you in Tokyo? There is a Shiatsu massage therapist there that really helped me. I can give you his contact information if you are interested.

I still have pain but it’s much better. I think the problem is the start of a bunion and very high arches that causes this problem. I put Superfeet Berry insole (made for narrow feet) and a foam arch support underneath it because the arch support was not high enough, but it is a perfect match for me and it helps a lot! I also am going to stretch my boot at the big toe so it can sit more straight (NOT ball of foot). This should help!

Do not tie the arch too tightly. I skipped a hole in my skates to not put pressure there. This helps a lot.

Please keep us posted! I am here if you need any more help!

Have a great day and good luck

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Hello skater!

I just got back from Japan a few weeks ago. Are you in Tokyo? There is a Shiatsu massage therapist there that really helped me. I can give you his contact information if you are interested.

I still have pain but it’s much better. I think the problem is the start of a bunion and very high arches that causes this problem. I put Superfeet Berry insole (made for narrow feet) and a foam arch support underneath it because the arch support was not high enough, but it is a perfect match for me and it helps a lot! I also am going to stretch my boot at the big toe so it can sit more straight (NOT ball of foot). This should help!

Do not tie the arch too tightly. I skipped a hole in my skates to not put pressure there. This helps a lot.

Please keep us posted! I am here if you need any more help!

Have a great day and good luck
Hello @theadultskater :)

YES, I am in Tokyo and I would really appreciate it if you gave me the contact info of this massage therapist.
I bought SuperFeet but the Carbon ones with the elevated heel (yellow and black) and they made everything worse. I will search for SuperFeet Berry. I haven't tried to skip a hole around the arch, but I've noticed that the pain gets better if I don't tie too tight around the arch. What foam arch support did you buy, if you don't mind me asking? Thank you so much :)

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
@LolaSkatesInJapan do they have something like Superfeet available in Japan? These have better arch support than the Edea insole and might help take pressure off the sesamoid area while you are looking for new boots (agree 100% with Ic3Rabbit re recommendation on boots!)

One caveat - I have hypermobile ankles (not sesamoiditis, but both conditions are often treated with arch supports). I've tried Superfeet Yellow before and found the insoles were a bit thin at the ball area. I have custom orthotics now which provide more cushioning. I got them from a podiatrist, but in Japan a sports doctor or orthopedist might be able to do this too. I'm sure some of them have seen skaters with your issue considering how popular the sport is in Japan.
@Flying Feijoa I imported SuperFeet Carbon Pro for the USA, but these didn't help at all. Also tried Jackson Supreme insoles (the ones for narrow feet). I messaged a sports medicine place asking if they had experience with figure skating and am waiting for the reply. There's a place here as well that does custom insoles for figure skating that I found, that's also in my to do list to things to try :) https://www.sk8insoll.tokyo/

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
UPDATE: I just purchased these fancy looking insoles https://en.sk8insoll.tokyo/raiten and am waiting for reservation confirmation to go to the place to have them all custom made. That will be my last try regarding trying to solve this. If this doesn't work, then I have enough "ammunition" to convince my coaches/boot fitter to allow me a change of skates/brand! I will update again when I have a new episode of "Lola wants to skate without extreme pain" saga comes up :D

theadultskater

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Hello!

Arch support: Powerstep https://www.amazon.ca/Powerstep-Boo...66522&sprefix=foam+arch+support,aps,96&sr=8-3
I have tried gel arch supports in the past and they are too hard inside skates. Foam is a lot better. These are very good. I hope you can find this in Japan.

I have not tried the carbon superfeet, but I like Berry because the heel is not high and they are narrow (they’re actually made for women).

The Shiatsu specialist’s name is Ken (others are good too but Ken is the master and he fixed my problem):
Academy Mom Massage Therapy
Japan, 〒160-0023 Tokyo, Shinjuku City, Nishishinjuku, 7 Chome−23−18 第3 小林ビル 201
+81 3-6279-2617
If you see him, please send him my regards! I am the “foreigner” from Canada who does figure skating. He took my foot pain away for a couple of days! Warning, the pressure is painful but so good!

theadultskater

Rinkside
Country
Canada
@Flying Feijoa I imported SuperFeet Carbon Pro for the USA, but these didn't help at all. Also tried Jackson Supreme insoles (the ones for narrow feet). I messaged a sports medicine place asking if they had experience with figure skating and am waiting for the reply. There's a place here as well that does custom insoles for figure skating that I found, that's also in my to do list to things to try :) https://www.sk8insoll.tokyo/
Supreme insoles are OK but I needed arch support to touch my foot so I could make contact with my boot. I took them out. I didn’t love them.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
UPDATE!!!!

I went to Ikebukuro, Tokyo, to the insole sensei and spent there a couple of hours having my custom insoles made ( here https://en.sk8insoll.tokyo/ if anyone is curious). The sensei is a figure skater too, which made the whole experience more relatable than going in a custom insole place that they don't know anything about skating.

Long story short, I've skated with these insoles and WOW. What a huge difference and what an improvement overall.
Some things I was told:

- upon describing my pain in the sesamoid area and after skating with the insoles my feet felt much more supported, however I can still feel discomfort in the sesamoid area (not horrible pain like it was before, having me take painkillers to get through practice, but I feel a discomfort), I was told I've probably injured/irritated the area by trying on several store bought insoles that were not the proper ones for my foot and inserting many things in the area which were not proper either (yes, guilty, I put cushions, silicone pads, cushions and silicoone pads at the same time, I just wanted relief) and it will be sore from this sesamoid injury no matter what I do, until it heals. I was adviced to seek medical help, have the area examined, x rayed, and I have an appointment at a Sports Medical Center for July 3rd (soonest they can take me).

- My arch pain is absolutely gone. Testing the insoles to see if the arch pain would appear I even did several jumps and could land my first 2S (again with the discomfort in the sesamoid, but no horrible pain there or horrible arch pain which to me is a heavenly improvement).

- With the arch issue solved and with the sesamoid which will be examined soon and hopefully with heal with proper care, I was told I shouldn't switch skate brands. I took my skates, they put the AI sensors in them, they say my greek foot shape and ankle shape is perfect for this shape of skates & brand minus the arch issue which could be solved with proper insoles, they had me bend ankles & knees, do many motions while wearing the skates with the new insoles and saw no issues EXCEPT that I should've been given a size 255 instead of a size 260 (the fit was done to benefit my bigger foot, which is my left foot, the one which never hurt).
- They put something in the tongues of my skate to avoid it from pressing my toes when I do a deep knee bend. It's this Edea tongue that is 2 pieces sown in the middle and now apparently they've gone back to the old tongue that is one whole piece after complains that this tongue does press the toes. They also put something inside my right skate that is the one which is big to make a better fit for it until I buy new ones, and even offered to reevaluate me prior to me going to buy new skates, and take paperwork saying in my case 255 is a better choice overall than 260 size.

Even though I'm thrilled with my new jump and feeling so much happiness not being in so much pain at practice, coaches and I agreed that until the sesamoid situation is healed, I shouldn't practice jumps and focus on things that don't cause me bad pain. And if the sport medical center doctor tells me I need a break until it heals, they said I shouldn't be sad and just take it and be done with this sesamoid thing.

theadultskater

Rinkside
Country
Canada
UPDATE!!!!

I went to Ikebukuro, Tokyo, to the insole sensei and spent there a couple of hours having my custom insoles made ( here https://en.sk8insoll.tokyo/ if anyone is curious). The sensei is a figure skater too, which made the whole experience more relatable than going in a custom insole place that they don't know anything about skating.

Long story short, I've skated with these insoles and WOW. What a huge difference and what an improvement overall.
Some things I was told:

- upon describing my pain in the sesamoid area and after skating with the insoles my feet felt much more supported, however I can still feel discomfort in the sesamoid area (not horrible pain like it was before, having me take painkillers to get through practice, but I feel a discomfort), I was told I've probably injured/irritated the area by trying on several store bought insoles that were not the proper ones for my foot and inserting many things in the area which were not proper either (yes, guilty, I put cushions, silicone pads, cushions and silicoone pads at the same time, I just wanted relief) and it will be sore from this sesamoid injury no matter what I do, until it heals. I was adviced to seek medical help, have the area examined, x rayed, and I have an appointment at a Sports Medical Center for July 3rd (soonest they can take me).

- My arch pain is absolutely gone. Testing the insoles to see if the arch pain would appear I even did several jumps and could land my first 2S (again with the discomfort in the sesamoid, but no horrible pain there or horrible arch pain which to me is a heavenly improvement).

- With the arch issue solved and with the sesamoid which will be examined soon and hopefully with heal with proper care, I was told I shouldn't switch skate brands. I took my skates, they put the AI sensors in them, they say my greek foot shape and ankle shape is perfect for this shape of skates & brand minus the arch issue which could be solved with proper insoles, they had me bend ankles & knees, do many motions while wearing the skates with the new insoles and saw no issues EXCEPT that I should've been given a size 255 instead of a size 260 (the fit was done to benefit my bigger foot, which is my left foot, the one which never hurt).
- They put something in the tongues of my skate to avoid it from pressing my toes when I do a deep knee bend. It's this Edea tongue that is 2 pieces sown in the middle and now apparently they've gone back to the old tongue that is one whole piece after complains that this tongue does press the toes. They also put something inside my right skate that is the one which is big to make a better fit for it until I buy new ones, and even offered to reevaluate me prior to me going to buy new skates, and take paperwork saying in my case 255 is a better choice overall than 260 size.

Even though I'm thrilled with my new jump and feeling so much happiness not being in so much pain at practice, coaches and I agreed that until the sesamoid situation is healed, I shouldn't practice jumps and focus on things that don't cause me bad pain. And if the sport medical center doctor tells me I need a break until it heals, they said I shouldn't be sad and just take it and be done with this sesamoid thing.
This excellent! You can also try thick donut bandage to go around the sesamoid to remove pressure. https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...7ePw_9H_AhWeKFkFHRLvCokQwg8oAHoECAIQDA&adurl=

Thank you for sharing your experience!