Sesamoid fracture/inflammation relief | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sesamoid fracture/inflammation relief

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
This excellent! You can also try thick donut bandage to go around the sesamoid to remove pressure. https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...7ePw_9H_AhWeKFkFHRLvCokQwg8oAHoECAIQDA&adurl=

Thank you for sharing your experience!
Thank YOU for bringing this up! :)
I don't wish this pain to anyone, but if someone has it and would like to know the experiences of those of us who dealt with it, hopefully they can find this thread!
The custom insoles were my answer and for the remaining of sesamoid pain (which is irritated/injured from me trying so many things on my own and failing) I'll take it easy until July the 3rd when I see a doctor at the sports medical center and he tells me what to do to completely heal this & put it behind me!

High Carbon

Skate technician
Rinkside
Country
United-States
Hello! I wanted to contribute back to the community and post some information on what I learned about managing sesamoid issues.

For anyone that has fractured or inflamed sesamoids, here is a taping method that works for me:

I made “donuts” out of a felt sheet by cutting it into 4 small squares and cutting holes in the middle, then stacking them to allow room for the bones to poke through but not make contact with the floor. You can also find these donuts at the pharmacy, the ones used for bunions should work! Then I used leukotape K (the stretchy one) and wrapped it around my entire foot (start at the outside of the big toe’s metatarsal to provide anchorage, then wrap around the bottom and around over the top of the foot, but below the toes) to provide support to the metatarsals and reduce friction/inflammation! (Not too tight, just enough to provide some support!)

Who knew we had two little bones under our big toe!

Prevention: People with high arches are more susceptible to this injury. Wear a good insole with good arch support. Having a lower heeled boot could also help. This probably happened to me from putting too much weight and pressure from jumps and tying my high heeled skates too tightly. I knew something was wrong when I was getting nerve pain that shot around the arch and around the big toe as I would step down the stairs. Applying pressure to the bones also hurts. I am off the ice while I recover, but applying ice to the injury (ironic!) I am also on anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxant medications.

Hope this helps someone!
This was very insightful, thank you for sharing!

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
UPDATE -

I went to have an MRI and CAT scan of my foot on July 12th and today July 24th I had a doctor's visit at the sport medicine center to discuss results.

The doctor saw lots of inflammation around the sesamoid bone and a very, very small hair line stress fracture on it.
It is painful but I wouldn't have thought of tiny hair line stress fracture. I guess I'm used to training/practice with injury/pain.

He gave me anti inflammatory medication for 35 days, I start physical therapy on Friday and until this is better, he advised to not practice jumps too hard, on and off ice. So sad, since we just decided music for my new program and me and 3 other skaters hired an off ice coach to work with us on off ice jump training, off ice spins and also to stretch us. I guess I will have to sit during the jumps and only do the rest, and keep practicing everything else besides jumps.

theadultskater

Rinkside
Country
Canada
UPDATE -

I went to have an MRI and CAT scan of my foot on July 12th and today July 24th I had a doctor's visit at the sport medicine center to discuss results.

The doctor saw lots of inflammation around the sesamoid bone and a very, very small hair line stress fracture on it.
It is painful but I wouldn't have thought of tiny hair line stress fracture. I guess I'm used to training/practice with injury/pain.

He gave me anti inflammatory medication for 35 days, I start physical therapy on Friday and until this is better, he advised to not practice jumps too hard, on and off ice. So sad, since we just decided music for my new program and me and 3 other skaters hired an off ice coach to work with us on off ice jump training, off ice spins and also to stretch us. I guess I will have to sit during the jumps and only do the rest, and keep practicing everything else besides jumps.
I’m so sorry to hear this! I know it’s hard, but it’s better to recover than make an injury worse or more long lasting. I would still put a very thick cushy donut around the sesamoids (directly on the foot) of some type of sesame if pad so any impact will dissipate around the injury and not hit the bones directly. Maybe you can ask your doctor for workarounds if not jumping is out of the question for you.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I’m so sorry to hear this! I know it’s hard, but it’s better to recover than make an injury worse or more long lasting. I would still put a very thick cushy donut around the sesamoids (directly on the foot) of some type of sesame if pad so any impact will dissipate around the injury and not hit the bones directly. Maybe you can ask your doctor for workarounds if not jumping is out of the question for you.
The doctor gave me medication for 35 days and I’ll be going to physical therapy too. He didn’t mention having to do anything else besides that. Yes, no intense jumping practice for these 35 days either so I’ll just focus on practicing everything else except intense jumping for 35 days. I will have to give these news to my coach tomorrow during practice. I’m happy it’s not something major that would make me miss any day of practice!