She Sure Was Great. | Golden Skate

She Sure Was Great.

IDLERACER

Medalist
:eek:hwell: What can I say except click HERE. I've been exploring Youtube's clips, and find this both beautiful and painful, knowing about the mess that would happen only three years later. It's a bit like watching old football clips of O.J. Simpson.

BridgetJ

Rinkside
That was terrific to watch, thanks for the link! She was so cute when those two 6.0s come up! And wow at those artistic marks, too. I hadn't seen this performance before, I'm glad she had a great performance that year. I know she injured herself (her ankle, I think?) at Nats and then did not skate up to her ability at the Olympics. And even though the program is one of those typical '80s/'90s programs with all those diverse music cuts, it's actually pretty good and showed her off very nicely.

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
Wow! I totally enjoyed that video clip of Tonya. She was good! It is hard to remember that the girl had talent. All you know of Tonya now is the Nancy-Tonya fiasco and what she looks like now (saw her on tv not too long ago). You wouldn't even know she was a previous skater. And a good one at that. What a great skate for her.

kittyjake5

On the Ice
Tonya was great that girl had talent. What an exciting program and her marks were well deserved. Thanks for the link.

Tinika

Rinkside
Yeah; it's sort of sad and frustrating at the same time to watch those early clips of her, and then to realize that she threw everything away--or let it be taken away, however you choose to look at it. She definitely had talent, but also one of the most self-destructive, self-victimizing personalities I've ever come across (worked for two years for a forensic psychologist, so I know whereof I speak).

MKFSfan

Medalist
Thanks for the link! I loved that program. Before Michelle, Tonya was my favorite ladies figure skater. I thought ladies should be more athletic and less balletic back then and to me Tonya was the perfect combination. Such a shame when you think what could've been...

dizzydi7

On the Ice
She sure was great...

Yes, she was great. I'd almost forgotten what an excellent technician she was and how high she got on her jumps. Frankly, I think Tonya is a better jumper than anyone I've seen lately.

Once again it just proves that it takes more than being a great skater. You must be fiercely motivated and have nerves of steel and a personality to match to be in contention for the top of the podium. Oh, and a little honesty and self-respect doesn't hurt either.

Tonya had all the talent it took be a champion and threw it all away. A sad story for sure!

Dizzy

millie

Medalist
Yes indeed, she was a great skater. I wonder what would have happened in the figure skating world if she hadn't taken the wrong path in life and never met up with the terrible people that influenced her in the wrong way. IMO, I think that she would have made it to the top and would have put the pressure on the younger skaters to up their ante's.

Kasey

Medalist
One of the best darn 3axels done by a lady ever, I think, cleaner than her one at Nats. Kind of interesting, how she got two 6.0's for technical merit, even with singling out her final jump...that 3A speaks!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
That was great, kinda a chance at the "if I knew then, what I knew now." great to watch with a little more edu. in my head. I remember her being so good, and most of the people who commented on what she did as "why? She probably had Nancy anyway." It was funny to see the "I broke my boot again," I remember jokes, but it was always true, a strong skater. There was (I "THINKIBU") even some tail that she had cracked a pond skating in Jersey - probably a joke but I can see why. She was a POWER HOUSE.
Also good to see the tacky outfits, eesh, Caesars Palace meets Flash Dance. But hot at the time.

IDLERACER, thank you. And much thanks in specific to introducing me to Tubes Ice skating. I never even thought to look there for FS - as a matter of fact haven't looked there for ages (well maybe since last summer) because it is inundated with morons, but sometimes some good Anime - it is always frustrating though, due to the poor resolution.

BTW, I found that the whole Sailor Moon Ice Princess #35 is there too. cool - but crappie res.

Last edited:

CDMM1991

Medalist
Yeah they have tons of figure skating clips on youtube. Pretty much anything you could want. It's a great alternative to downloading if you don't want to clutter up your computer. Those video files are big!

guinevere

Final Flight
Thanks for posting that. What an incredible and *clean* 3A that was! Nice to see her so happy, too.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
It's good to see a POSITIVE Tonya Harding thread. Which seems like an odd thing to say, but, yeah, when she was on, she was pretty dang terrific and that actually got forgotten somewhere along the line.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thank you for posting. I had forgotten how talented she was. After the
whack everything changed for her. I always enjoyed Tonya's skating.

CB1AB2

Medalist
she was a good skater = we tend to forget that after what happened = thanks for the link

Tinika

Rinkside
Even before the Whack Heard Round the World, I always wished Tonya would do something about her godawful hair.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Tinika said:
Even before the Whack Heard Round the World, I always wished Tonya would do something about her godawful hair.

I think Tara had the same "dew" when she won, just curlier.