She Sure Was Great. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

She Sure Was Great.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Yes, Tonya was a great jumper too bad she was so self-destructive.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Thank you so much Idle... I've always been a Tonya Harding fan & remember that performance ~ so it was veerryy cool to see it again... She was so awesome and I still get so pissed when I think of what she did to herself & allowed others to do... whatta waste...

Tinika

Rinkside
Off topic, Kwanford Wife, but your avatar is just the MOST beautiful photo of Michelle!

Eeyora

Final Flight
She was incredible. She not only had great jumping technique but the height was incredible too.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Does anyone think that she should have been abrade of Nancy - beat Nan without the beat-down?

She could have beat'n her without the BS??????

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
seanibu said:
Does anyone think that she should have been abrade of Nancy - beat Nan without the beat-down?

She could have beat'n her without the BS??????

Absolutely. Nancy had always been a headcase who'd wilt away at any challenge... I don't see how that Nationals would've been any different.

But more importantly, there was no way in hades that the USFSA would've allowed Michelle Kwan to knock Tonya off of the second step if Nancy had been able to keep it together...

Despite being out of shape & overweight at Nationals, had Tonya just skated she'd still made the team & had time to pull herself together... The beat-down wasn't necessary to make the team, but the fallout from the beatdown ruined her life... what a waste...

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Tinika said:
Off topic, Kwanford Wife, but your avatar is just the MOST beautiful photo of Michelle!

Tinika, my avatar is available in the "avatar" section of the GSForum & yes, its absolutely stunning... gotta love Michelle Kwan!:)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
evenstar said:
I wonder why she couldn't perform like this at nationals or worlds or Olympics that year?

My vote is on Karma for that one. I wonder how long she had thoughts of doing something like that. I would have to believe that was something in the "character" - it couldn't just come out of nowhere, could it?

Last edited:

sk8addict

On the Ice
smiles

Thank you so much for this. I've had skate withdrawal blues & this was a real pick-me-up. Her stupid husband didn't have confidence in her. She could have easily beaten Nancy. God Bless Her.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for posting that I enjoyed it.

Dee

heyang

Record Breaker
Kerrigan was in the best shape of her life mentally and physically for the 93/94 season. This is evidenced by 2 clean performances at the Olympics.

Tonya would likely have come in 2nd, but she wanted to go to Oly's as the reigning US champion. I wonder if Tonya realizes what a huge turning point the bash was in her life - or does she blame it on the others.

Regardless, Tonya hasn't taken responsibility for her actions post bash, either.

Tinika

Rinkside
heyang said:
Kerrigan was in the best shape of her life mentally and physically for the 93/94 season. This is evidenced by 2 clean performances at the Olympics.

Tonya would likely have come in 2nd, but she wanted to go to Oly's as the reigning US champion. I wonder if Tonya realizes what a huge turning point the bash was in her life - or does she blame it on the others.

Regardless, Tonya hasn't taken responsibility for her actions post bash, either.

No, she really hasn't. For all her talk about being tough and a survivor and making things happen in her life on the 'Anything to Win' documentary, she still blames nobody but the entire rest of the world for her incredibly self-destructive behavior.

curious

Final Flight
Tonya was ten times the skater Nancy the choker was lol! Some people forget she was michell's fave skater :biggrin:

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I have always believed that Tonya could have beaten Nancy, if she had wanted it enough to do the work! Nancy was almost never clean. Even when the judges were ready to hand her the titles on a silver platter, she couldn't put it together. Her '93 world performance hurt her badly. It may not have cost the US the third berth by itself, but it made us look awful going into the Olympic year. I believe Nancy would have had to be perfect to win Nationals. If Tonya was dazzling and Nancy was flawed, I think the judges would have thought Tonya was the better bet. That's why I can't believe the sheer stupidity behind the whack. Tonya was good enough to do the job. Did you see her lutz at Nationals that year? :love:

I do give Nancy great credit for putting it together at the Olympics. I will always believe she deserved to win. However, I think Nancy got pushed so far that she dropped her head games and just came out fighting. I don't believe she would have given the same performances under different circumstances. She skated at the Olympics like she had never skated before, :love:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
SusanBeth said:
I have always believed that Tonya could have beaten Nancy, if she had wanted it enough to do the work! Nancy was almost never clean. Even when the judges were ready to hand her the titles on a silver platter, she couldn't put it together. Her '93 world performance hurt her badly. It may not have cost the US the third berth by itself, but it made us look awful going into the Olympic year. I believe Nancy would have had to be perfect to win Nationals. If Tonya was dazzling and Nancy was flawed, I think the judges would have thought Tonya was the better bet. That's why I can't believe the sheer stupidity behind the whack. Tonya was good enough to do the job. Did you see her lutz at Nationals that year? :love:

I do give Nancy great credit for putting it together at the Olympics. I will always believe she deserved to win. However, I think Nancy got pushed so far that she dropped her head games and just came out fighting. I don't believe she would have given the same performances under different circumstances. She skated at the Olympics like she had never skated before, :love:

ITA... With every single word... (execpt I was glad that Oksana won ~ only because I was sick of hearing about Nancy at that point...)

Tonya's stupidity cost her everything and for what? Not a damn thing... and that sucks...

rebeccaauburn

Rinkside
Tinika said:
Yeah; it's sort of sad and frustrating at the same time to watch those early clips of her, and then to realize that she threw everything away--or let it be taken away, however you choose to look at it. She definitely had talent, but also one of the most self-destructive, self-victimizing personalities I've ever come across (worked for two years for a forensic psychologist, so I know whereof I speak).

Definitely some Axis II stuff going on there.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
I liked her performance there. However, I still think she needed better music cuts. Robinhood soundtrack into stripper-like music? WTF?!

She definitely was one of the best =)

At any rate, youtube is addicting! I'm at work, and instead of doing work, I'm watching past performances!