Shen & Zhao plan to skate thru 2010 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Shen & Zhao plan to skate thru 2010

Big Deal

Final Flight
Honestly thinking, there are not too many chance to skate in this level so long, especially because they are already injured many times.

BUT, they are the only reason still watching pair skating to me, so I WOULD LOVE to see this carreer continuing.

They are amazing, I think, the best one's in any discipline who are still eligible.

Yesterday I've seen the Oberstdorf Gala on the TV, including Totmianina/Marinin really lovely show case there. But even with that, Shen /Zhao superiority was so much obvious to me. Totmianina/ Mar. won the OGM fair'n'square, but their presance on the ice is not in the same league than S/Z...

babyoscar

On the Ice
Chinese skaters

At age of 28 and 33yo, I doubt anybody will forbid them to date. China is a competely different society from 15 years ago anyway.

they are forbidden to date whether you believe it or not. same with if they wish to go home in Harbin to see their parents, they have to get permission. they are considered as "property" in the China government. Not much really has changed how the China government treat their athletes. The news of the gymnastics coach hitting their athletes finally got on the news last year. People were shocked and surprised. Honestly, that kind of stuff been going on for years and years. It isn't anything new.

According to a friend of mine, the gymnastics coach would come to their school while they were about 6 or so and measure each one of them. If the coach deem you good for their sport, you will be taken out of school. Instead, you will go to a special school where you will be going to school part time while spend a lot of your other time practicing the sport you are choosen, This is a very common practice, nothing new.

Jasper

Final Flight
I wouldn't be surprised to see S/Z aiming to stay around for Vancouver. They should have an Olympic Gold or Silver to add to their collection. And anyway, pairs skating is so weak right now that they can dominate easily, even with a healthy Z/Z . However, will they still be healthy then? That's yet to be seen. If they intend to stay in the sport, they should probably cut down on Grand Priz events in upcoming seasons and keep their best for '09-'10. No reason to peak too soon!

I would also love to see T/M come back to pro amateur skating. I think they were developing beautifully and they had their best programs by far when they left. I'd love to see more programs like their Snowstorm and Romeo and Juliet.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I hope T&M do not come back. They were not a special pairs team. They were not G&G, R and all her partners, Protopopovs and definitely not B&S. They won 2004 Worlds due to Zhao's unfortunate fall which, only occurs once every 100 times. Under 6.0, S&Z were out of it despite an incredible Nutcracker Pas de Deux. Also I think that fall was the beginning of his ankle problem.

Joe

All the more reason for Shen and Zhao to continue who are skaters for the ages.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I don't generally comment on 'emotional' or 'emotionless'. It's too subjective. But if they do want to return, it's no guarantee they can be as consistent as they used to. Watch this recent clip of them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx7XRxVPZyo

I found they are a bit out of shape. Without practicing sbs triples for one year, I seriously doubt they can keep them consistent.

I just watched the entire youtube clip you posted and i can't for the life of me see anything that shows that they look out of shape :scratch: What about their skating did you think made them look out of shape?

Ant

heyang

Record Breaker
I think that S&Z are a stronger overall team than T&M. Their moves are bigger and more secure as well as having a better connection with each other and the audience.

After the fall, many commentators mentioned how they were always worried about M's feet during the lifts. He tends not to move them as much as the other guys during lifts and loses speed, as well. After Tatiana's fall, you could tell that he slowed even more since he was so nervous.

hongligl

Final Flight
I understand that S/Z will leave amateur skating after the 2007 World and they agreed to come back around 2009 if their conditions permit. They explained that this is to avoid injury and to enjoy other aspects of life. But they are not going to stop skating. They would like to do some shows.

heyang

Record Breaker
Maybe they'll tour with SOI since B&S aren't (at least this year). I think they were guest performers last year.