Shoma Uno | Page 1150 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

rabidline

Final Flight
Um, it appears your link is broken...
It's crazy, I just saw Rio's post with him and Shoma a second ago, let me see if I can find it again...
Yes I think Rio has settings so that his Instagram posts cannot be linked... I edited my post to link to a fan's Twitter instead!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am still numb. We knew it was coming sooner or later, I definitely was hoping for later. That he is retiring uninjured and on his own terms is a beautiful thing and a blessing. Right now, I just don’t even know what to feel. When I made my first post in this Fan Fest on Feb. 27, 2016, if anyone had told me I would make 4,953 posts in this thread, I probably would have said, “Um. Wait. What?!?!” But this little warrior always gave us great content and plenty of things to talk about. For me, it was pretty much love at first sight. I wanted to know every little thing about this little magician! Yes, sometimes it was a roller coaster – but isn’t that the world of figure skating?!

Not many regrets – I always envisioned Shoma doing a Don Quijote short program. Darn, it never happened! I wish I had gone to Saitama Worlds 2023 to see him win his second championship. I know @yuumagical would have helped me, had I made the decision to go. Couldn’t make it happen…For now, all I wish for is his happiness, and I am anxious to hear his press conference and hear his plans. I only have two career wishes – I would LOVE to see him have a role in Mao’s new rink, and it would make me very happy if U.S. Stars on Ice would include him in their U.S. tour, even if it’s just for a few of the dates. I will write to them to suggest this.

How can I begin to say thank you? Thank you for:

--making me want to learn more about Japan and its culture
--rekindling my love for a sport I started watching as a child
--showing us the importance of “taking the high road”
--exposing us to so many different kinds of music
--giving us so many things to look forward to
--giving us so many laughs (and a few tears too along the way)
--providing me a coping mechanism to deal with the sadness I felt after my mom’s death
--being willing to share the stage at ice shows with his top competitors
--introducing me to some amazing online and in-person friends
--inspiring us to travel to places we might never have gone to, had it not been for your competitions
--showing us what grace under pressure looks like
--reminding us what it means to work hard and give 120%
--showing such kindness to up and coming young skaters
--setting the ultimate example for good sportsmanship
--carrying Team Japan on your shoulders, even when you were injured or at times it might have seemed unfair
--maintaining your humility and being kind to your fellow skaters
--taking care of yourself and showing amazing longevity (13 consecutive years competing at Japanese Nationals!)
--for being a regular on the best dressed list and showing us how beautiful costumes can be
--skating to music no one else could have skated to, always presenting new and unusual programs
--And finally, allowing us into your home through videos and letting us feel like we were visiting with friends

Yes, I love this guy and will never forget him! Time to grieve a little again, but only for a short time.

Last edited:

Louby

On the Ice
There is little I can say after all the fantastic Shoma tributes. I never got to see him compete because, as a school teacher, I can't take time off during term time. And most competitions fall in term time.... However I am very hopeful to see you in a show one day, Shoma.

To quote Tina Turner, you are Simply the Best, Shoma.

Not sure who to support in active competition now......I am heartbroken.

Hope this thread keeps going. And we aren't confined to that bloody retirement page too soon.
I am down......but definitely not out!

16Olympics

On the Ice
I am still numb. We knew it was coming sooner or later, I definitely was hoping for later. That he is retiring uninjured and on his own terms is a beautiful thing and a blessing. Right now, I just don’t even know what to feel. When I made my first post in this Fan Fest on Feb. 27, 2016, if anyone had told me I would make 4,953 posts in this thread, I probably would have said, “Um. Wait. What?!?!” But this little warrior always gave us great content and plenty of things to talk about. For me, it was pretty much love at first sight. I wanted to know every little thing about this little magician! Yes, sometimes it was a roller coaster – but isn’t that the world of figure skating?!

Not many regrets – I always envisioned Shoma doing a Don Quijote short program. Darn, it never happened! I wish I had gone to Saitama Worlds 2023 to see him win his second championship. I know @yuumagical would have helped me, had I made the decision to go. Couldn’t make it happen…For now, all I wish for is his happiness, and I am anxious to hear his press conference and hear his plans. I only have two career wishes – I would LOVE to see him have a role in Mao’s new rink, and it would make me very happy if U.S. Stars on Ice would include him in their U.S. tour, even if it’s just for a few of the dates. I will write to them to suggest this.

How can I begin to say thank you? Thank you for:

--making me want to learn more about Japan and its culture
--rekindling my love for a sport I started watching as a child
--showing us the importance of “taking the high road”
--exposing us to so many different kinds of music
--giving us so many things to look forward to
--giving us so many laughs (and a few tears too along the way)
--providing me a coping mechanism to deal with the sadness I felt after my mom’s death
--being willing to share the stage at ice shows with his top competitors
--introducing me to some amazing online and in-person friends
--inspiring us to travel to places we might never have gone to, had it not been for your competitions
--showing us what grace under pressure looks like
--reminding us what it means to work hard and give 120%
--showing such kindness to up and coming young skaters
--setting the ultimate example for good sportsmanship
--carrying Team Japan on your shoulders, even when you were injured or at times it might have seemed unfair
--maintaining your humility and being kind to your fellow skaters
--taking care of yourself and showing amazing longevity (13 consecutive years competing at Japanese Nationals!)
--for being a regular on the best dressed list and showing us how beautiful costumes can be
--skating to music no one else could have skated to, always presenting new and unusual programs
--And finally, allowing us into your home through videos and letting us feel like we were visiting with friends

Yes, I love this guy and will never forget him! Time to grieve a little again, but only for a short time.
Beautiful, Arriba. He has meant a lot to many most of whom only got to see him online. If he was to come to North America for SOI I know a lot of people would be grateful to see him. In my selfish head, I wish he had announced at the beginning of a season, either last year or this year, so he could have a farewell he deserves from the skating fans but that's just me. I'm with you on the interest in visiting Japan. I would really love to go and it's because of Shoma.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hope this thread keeps going. And we aren't confined to that bloody retirement page too soon.
There isn't a retirement page any more, so no.

Wasn't sure where to put this, but Yuzuru has published a message through Sponichi, deliberately echoing the words and emotions in Shoma's message to him two years ago.

Last edited:

rabidline

Final Flight
There isn't a retirement page any more, so no.

Wasn't sure where to put this, but Yuzuru has published a message through Sponichi, deliberately echoing the words and emotions in Shoma's message to him two years ago.
At this rate they will finally have their conversation as "normal guys" in their 80s lol. Your phones are right there!!!!

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Beautiful, Arriba. He has meant a lot to many most of whom only got to see him online. If he was to come to North America for SOI I know a lot of people would be grateful to see him. In my selfish head, I wish he had announced at the beginning of a season, either last year or this year, so he could have a farewell he deserves from the skating fans but that's just me. I'm with you on the interest in visiting Japan. I would really love to go and it's because of Shoma.
I really, really wish he had done kind of a farewell year like Keegan, Hubbell & Donahue, and others have so that people would have been able to show their love and support -- kind of a nice final way of saying goodbye and wishing him well. But that's so NOT Shoma. Probably too much fuss for him. Last year was pretty tough on his N American and European fans with all his events (2 GPs, GPF, J-Nats) being in China or Japan. There was Worlds of course. Oh well. What's done is done. I truly am hopeful for U.S. SOI. Last year they finally had some non-U.S. skaters who were very well received--Loena, Piper & Paul, Satoko, Kurt B.. Maybe we could get Nathan to put in a good word so they could do another duet! :points:

rabidline

Final Flight
Aleksandr Galliamov took one photo out of his vault today- in NHK Trophy 2021 fans reported that he and Anastasia Mishina approached Shoma after the gala for a photo and the photo was Galliamov carrying Shoma like a princess.... and after 2,5 years we finally got the photo 🤣

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
I join those who consider Shoma's retirement a happy one, as he was able to choose the timing and has achieved everything one could wish for in his impressive career and most likely even more than he dreamed of many years ago when he started as an adorable five-year old inspired by Mao-chan. My fan focus had shifted more towards ice dancing in recent years thanks to Dai, but Shoma was one of the main reasons why I still continued to follow the men's discipline. Even though there are still a few active favourites, without him, the men's competitions will certainly be less interesting for me. I'm a little sad that I didn't get to see him live at the 2021 Warsaw Cup, but I'm sure we'll still be seeing and hearing a lot from Shoma in retirement. 🤗 In this respect, it is an advantage that Japan has such an overflowing ice show market and Shoma will not have to worry about job offers. Congratulations on a great career and all the best for the future! :clap: Can’t wait to see what comes next!

I only have two career wishes – I would LOVE to see him have a role in Mao’s new rink, [...]

That would be really cool and, due to the change of agency, it is not at all that unlikely. :love: Maybe we'll hear something about it on the 14th?

_______________​

Of course Dai-chan, as one of Sho's idols, also commented on his retirement yesterday through USM and on tv 🥰:

Tv clip feat. the well-known footage of Shoma watching Dai on tv in 2006 and a part of Dai's comment on Shoma's retirement (from 1:00):

DeepL/Google translation (hochi article):

"I had heard about it before the announcement. I was surprised because I thought he would continue until the next Olympics in Italy (2026 Milan Olympics), but I think he retired because he has his own ideas. I'm looking forward to what's next. Thank you for your hard work during your long active career."
For Uno, Takahashi has been an idol since he was a child. He said, "When he was little, he was really cute," smiling, "As he grew up, I felt from watching from the sidelines that the strength of what he envisioned became stronger and stronger. He won medals at two consecutive Olympics and gold medals at the 2022 and 2023 World Championships."
Takahashi commented on Uno's skating: "I thought he skated without losing power from the beginning to the end, as if he could do another four minutes even after the four minutes were up. I couldn't do that kind of thing, and I always thought it was amazing that he could do it consistently."

Uno announced his retirement, but Takahashi said, "After making a full recovery, he could come back one more time." Based on his own experience of returning to competition in 2018 after retiring from active duty. He revealed that it was difficult for him to ask him out for dinner when they were both at the forefront of their respective careers, but added: "Just once, it doesn't have to be sashimi. I'd like to go out to dinner with Shoma, even if this is a bit pushy", he said, sending a "love call".​

DeepL/Google translation (additional part from the news.livedoor article):
As for Uno's greatness, he said: "He has his own unique sensibility, his own way of thinking, his own way of skating, which is different from others, and he has been able to skate in his own way since he was young without compromise. That kind of strength led to the results. I always respected him." As someone who has inherited the strength of Japanese men's figure skating, `"From Yuzuru Hanyu to Shoma, I think there was a lot of pressure. In particular, I think the presence of ``Yuzuru Hanyu'' was huge, and I think there were a lot of different feelings. He didn't give in to that. It's amazing that he was able to steadily grow without being overwhelmed by the pressure that was expected of him from a young age."

Last edited:

Louby

On the Ice
With Shoma planning a pay to view YouTube channel, I am hoping we will see a lot more of him than we have recently. I am intrigued by what the future plans will be. I don't see Shoma as a coach but I may be wrong. I am sure he will perform for many years.
I would like to see a return to those World Professional Championships that I loved watching in the 90s. Japan would provide excellent audiences.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Nicely worded Arriba! Great post.

I am cross-posting from the Edge thread on Shoma's retirement.

The ISU has written a nice article about his skating career and his retirement: