Shoma Uno | Page 339 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

Latremu

Final Flight
Placing the 4T as the second jump might work better, since his frequently wonky landing on the 4T makes it difficult to do the second jump.

I agree that breaking 100 might be a requirement to podium, but I don't think it needs to be super clean (though that would be great if it were). It's more important to have a clean FS, which has thus far mostly eluded the top guys. The scoring potential on a clean or almost clean FS is much greater than a clean SP, and as Yuzuru and Javi have demonstrated in Worlds time and again, it's usually the FS performance that determines the winner. In fact, it's almost as if a relatively less clean SP is advantageous in some cases, since it presents a greater challenge to the men to do better in their FS, while the men who do clean SPs often get overtaken by nerves due to being the frontrunner after the SP, and thereafter falter in their FS.

Hronop

On the Ice
Yes, that's true. But there are 6 skaters in the last group. I'm not sure if they all hit 100. Nathan and Javier are pretty sure over 100 I guess, the others could be or perhaps not. I wouldn't bet on the top 6 men all having scores over 100. Shoma can crack 100 with mistakes, too. And of course there is less pressure to perform a perfect LP if you had a great SP. As long as Shoma is in that last group, I don't worry too much, even if he's fourth or fifth after the SP and the difference isn't over 10 points. I trust in his LP.

Nathan, Javier, Yuzu, Mikhail and Shoma can do it even with mistakes. Chan and even Samarin can be over 100 if they skate super clean. Boyang has never got 100, but can be pretty close anyway. 100 seems like the score that will separate the final group from all other skaters, although one never knows how the Olympics go, of course... We can see some unexpected results there for sure. Like, Shoma hitting 110. :eeking: I just hope he nails his SP and has a comfortable position before the LP -- not first perhaps (that's too much pressure for him), but 2nd or 3rd will do. We'll see...

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I mainly would love to see a clean Winter since there is only this one competition left (Olympics) for him to skate it clean. He did at Lombardia but the camera work and the small arena, the weird sound editing and all makes it hard to go back and call it the signature performance of Winter. I really hope we get to see that at the Olympics. But I don't really want Shoma to lead after the short and skate last. I think he can shine, but he could also fall apart. Olympic pressure as the frontrunner is incredibly hard.

Hronop

On the Ice
Placing the 4T as the second jump might work better, since his frequently wonky landing on the 4T makes it difficult to do the second jump.

I agree that breaking 100 might be a requirement to podium, but I don't think it needs to be super clean (though that would be great if it were). It's more important to have a clean FS, which has thus far mostly eluded the top guys. The scoring potential on a clean or almost clean FS is much greater than a clean SP, and as Yuzuru and Javi have demonstrated in Worlds time and again, it's usually the FS performance that determines the winner. In fact, it's almost as if a relatively less clean SP is advantageous in some cases, since it presents a greater challenge to the men to do better in their FS, while the men who do clean SPs often get overtaken by nerves due to being the frontrunner after the SP, and thereafter falter in their FS.

Yes, I agree, LP is way more important, and also agree about leading after SP, which definitely adds pressure that our Shomita does not seem to like too much, but I also think a relatively clean SP will be hugely important for securing a position in the last group, and I do think 100 will be a requirement for that. At the Olympics, the judges might become fairly generous with marks, and considering the overall inflation, 100 will be a possibility for 7-8 men, not 5-6 as at the last Worlds, and not 2 as in Sochi.

Hronop

On the Ice
I mainly would love to see a clean Winter since there is only this one competition left (Olympics) for him to skate it clean. He did at Lombardia but the camera work and the small arena, the weird sound editing and all makes it hard to go back and call it the signature performance of Winter. I really hope we get to see that at the Olympics. But I don't really want Shoma to lead after the short and skate last. I think he can shine, but he could also fall apart. Olympic pressure as the frontrunner is incredibly hard.

There is another competition in Milan after the Olympics, don't forget about the Worlds. ;)
Thinking about Shoma's potential but also his issues in realizing that potential, I can't help but think about Dai, who won bronze in Vancouver and then gold at post-Olympic worlds. Is that the kind of path destined for him as well? I hope not, but I have to confess I am feeling slightly insecure about the Olympics while, on the other hand, I do feel Milan might become a lucky place for him (it's in Lombardia, after all). Or perhaps it's just me imagining things.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
There is another competition in Milan after the Olympics, don't forget about the Worlds. ;)
Thinking about Shoma's potential but also his issues in realizing that potential, I can't help but think about Dai, who won bronze in Vancouver and then gold at post-Olympic worlds. Is that the kind of path destined for him as well? I hope not, but I have to confess I am feeling slightly insecure about the Olympics while, on the other hand, I do feel Milan might become a lucky place for him (it's in Lombardia, after all). Or perhaps it's just me imagining things.

You're right, I completely forgot about Worlds. *_* What is wrong with me? :confused:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Haha, I guess I was just thinking that this was the last time we got to see Winter before the Olympic Games. It was the last time, before that hellish competition that seems to be the end and all of dreams and nightmares. Under two months left and I'm already so scared for Shoma. I don't want to see regret in his eyes. Worlds seem unimportant in comparison. But the post Olympic Worlds were the competition in which Daisuke got Japan's first World Championship Title in the Men's competition. So it's special, even in the Olympic Year.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Also, now we know that Shoma does not like champagne. :laugh:

Champagne for a new adult? They should start with beer and fruity cider lol! I hope he will slowly grow into appreciating champagne and wine, which is my favourite drink :) (Just to clarify I don't have a drinking problem lol I just like a few sips after a day of work;))

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Are the SP and LP in Pyeongchang back to back? It's kind of nice to have a day in between like at Japanese Nationals...

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Are the SP and LP in Pyeongchang back to back? It's kind of nice to have a day in between like at Japanese Nationals...

In the past before Team Event it was not back to back. But with the Team Event a lot of people were worried about that
the SP would be the next day after Team event. I can't remember if that happened or not.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
I was just reading a horoscope site my friend sent me because he said it described him very accurately. Then I click into the Sagittarius page (which is Shoma's Zodiac sign), see if you find this describes Shoma well.

Fun loving, independent and exciting, Sagittarius men are in some ways the wild child of the zodiac. Adventurous sociable and friendly, they are typically determined to live life to the fullest, amongst other things often making them physical and athletic.

This is an honest man, a straight shooter who speaks his mind. Inspiring and spontaneous he can sometimes be seen as too aggressive or impatient by those who prefer a more subtle approach to life.

He values independence and freedom, manifested both in a liberal open mindedness and a dislike of feeling trapped or obligated. He often does better with a strong willed and independent partner, rather than one who is too needy or possessive.

Just do it

Imaginative and intuitive he may often be seen as lucky, and may even have a fondness for gambling due to this. One of the most 'unusual' traits of Sagittarians for many partners is their ability to get through life so 'effortlessly' often relying on luck rather than planning to see them through.

If you lined up 12 people at the top of a cliff, one of each sun sign, the Sagittarian would probably be the first one to jump, content that something somehow would prevent them going splat at the bottom. And something somehow probably would.

The meaning of life

The Sagittarius man is typically a natural scholar, and loves both to learn and to teach, making conversations highly stimulating. As with other impatient signs he is likely to prefer the big picture rather than the details, which can lead him to being somewhat philosophical.

Typically he will be well educated, or planning to be, and is likely to prefer to focus on and master one subject, rather than dabbling in lots of different ones.

Ambitious, optimistic and enthusiastic, he sets himself lofty goals in life, though sometimes struggles to attain them, especially when unforeseen or overly boring details bury him.

On the negative side, he can be seen as lazy and undisciplined. Lacking a deep understanding of emotions he can also be seen as too blunt or shallow by more emotionally intense signs (and as a breath of fresh air to less emotional ones!)

Leonardo

Final Flight
Team fluffly please forget about this crazy 2a-4t (he couldn't land one in practice) especially in the 2nd half. The quad flip is also not working in the 2nd half either (and he always lands it in the SP). Shoma's layout is just too hard, bad performance after bad performance since the beginning of the season. The strategy never changes. Three quads in the 2nd half are obviously not working. The 4lo became one of his most reliable quads, probably because it's in the 1st half.

I'm seriously worried and I think we have every reason to be worried. This strategy is destroying him and his chances. I used to watch Shoma with a certain confidence that things would work, maybe with little mistakes here and there. Now I watch Shoma with 100 per cent feeling that he's gonna bomb.
Team fluffy seems totally ok about everything. Nothing changes, if anything it changes for worse (like the obviously crazy 2a-4t that he couldn't land even in practices at these nationals). Everything is seriously not ok.

biryanione

On the Ice
Team fluffly please forget about this crazy 2a-4t (he couldn't land one in practice) especially in the 2nd half. The quad flip is also not working in the 2nd half either (and he always lands it in the SP). Shoma's layout is just too hard, bad performance after bad performance since the beginning of the season. The strategy never changes. Three quads in the 2nd half are obviously not working. The 4lo became one of his most reliable quads, probably because it's in the 1st half.

I'm seriously worried and I think we have every reason to be worried. This strategy is destroying him and his chances. I used to watch Shoma with a certain confidence that things would work, maybe with little mistakes here and there. Now I watch Shoma with 100 per cent feeling that he's gonna bomb.
Team fluffy seems totally ok about everything. Nothing changes, if anything it changes for worse (like the obviously crazy 2a-4t that he couldn't land even in practices at these nationals). Everything is seriously not ok.

Of course, I hope you are wrong! :)!
I myself had nerves, to the degree that when Shoma started, I suddenly felt like throwing up. That settled and I was then able to watch. I do not feel as bad as you. I realized how solid a level his skating is now. The steps, spins. Pops of course but there were fantastic in jumps as well. It’s such a good place to be right now to build on this last month and a half before feb. He lost stamina for the jumps, he was surely tired for some reason, I wish I knew more. But what he’s going to work on has become clearer.
They, both he and as a team seem calm in the face of it. Of course. But that’s clarity as well I believe, they know some of the issues, they know what choices they will work on and try out, and then, they’ll choose what options to go with. And the nerves for these nationals (quite harsh) were also great practice for him right now.
In fact, at this point in time, I hope he does not consider disappointment of audience expectation! Focus on the skating itself, and ignore audience expectation.
The difference in my point of view, is that, I am glad they chose to keep experimenting. There's gain every time. These comps are not for audience feelings, but to test the skating. Besides, he medaled gold none-the-less!

Leonardo

Final Flight
Of course, I hope you are wrong! :)!
He lost stamina for the jumps, he was surely tired for some reason, I wish I knew more. But what he’s going to work on has become clearer.

I hope I'm wrong as well :laugh:
My point is, putting a 4F and two 4t and in 2nd half is not working for the 4th time in the same season. It's disaster after disaster. That's not a good strategy at all. He's getting tired because his layout is extenuating. Extremely demanding. And the team even wanted to put that crazy 2a-4t. That's dangerous for his health, really. 4F clearly works in the short, because he does it early, as well as 4lo in the free. But for some reason they don't see it. They keep insisting on the same mistakes.
Why they don't change it? I don't know.
At this point I'm just hoping for a miracle.

biryanione

On the Ice
I hope I'm wrong as well :laugh:
My point is, putting a 4F and two 4t and in 2nd half is not working for the 4th time in the same season. It's disaster after disaster. That's not a good strategy at all. He's getting tired because his layout is extenuating. Extremely demanding. And the team even wanted to put that crazy 2a-4t. That's dangerous for his health, really. 4F clearly works in the short, because he does it early, as well as 4lo in the free. But for some reason they don't see it. They keep insisting on the same mistakes.
Why they don't change it? I don't know.
At this point I'm just hoping for a miracle.

Perhaps each comp has been approached as yet another opportunity to try and see. It is an Olympic season, but with competitors breathing down each others necks, and none of them wanted to let up pushing until the last minute. In other years, they would decide early on a safer layout. The Olympics is the comp this is all for, in their own minds I believe, so he will choose only previous to that. This is why, and I know people think this is not wise, but if he wants he should try for another comp, 4cc as more feedback for him. To decide only at the Olympics for a less demanding layout would not be a bad approach for his personality. (it would be a bad approach for another personality I have in mind. If it takes away their challenging spirit. But with Shoma, I don’t think that would happen…and he’d focus well)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Shoma is going to 4CC!!!! OMG; I'm so happy. We get to see him one more time before the Olympics!!! *celebrate*:clapper:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Shomita on winning his second National Title. :clapper:

Mistakes in both programs. Problems with consistency lately. I am trying to be positive and think that this could all be about him peaking
at the right time for the OG. I know that there is as strategy to that. We don't want to see inconsistency at the OG, get it all out now.
I believe Shoma is saving his best for last just like he did last season at Worlds.

ETA: Woohoo 4CC for Shomita! Who else besides Mura?