Shoma Uno | Page 341 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Thanks for sharing, Ahh.. Yamada Coach and Shoma, haha! And the last spin in See you again once more! They know what's good! :agree:

Alifyre

On the Ice
http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2017/12/26/kiji/20171226s00079000015000c.html

Looks like Shoma's updating his layout! I found a partial translation of the key part on tumblr, if anyone could translate the rest it would be nice!

"He decided to take out the 2A4T which he failed to land at this competition, and the 4S which he acquired earlier this season. Although he landed four types of quads five times at the Lombardia Trophy, his plan is to include three types of quads four times in his Olympic free skate, just as he did at last season’s World Championships where he finished second. Although his base value will decrease by 4.45 points in total, he is committed to this new layout, saying “With the same layout as last year’s, I will now start over from the beginning.”

He has changed his layout repeatedly this year through trial and error, but he has yet to deliver a performance that leaves him satisfied since his first competition. “Because I’ve been switching between too many different layouts, nothing is soaking into my body. It is very crucial for me to soak into my programs.” Since last year, he’s continued to level up the difficulty of his programs, but from now onwards, he plans to lower the difficulty and focus more on perfecting his program."

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2017/12/26/kiji/20171226s00079000015000c.html

Looks like Shoma's updating his layout! I found a partial translation of the key part on tumblr, if anyone could translate the rest it would be nice!

"He decided to take out the 2A4T which he failed to land at this competition, and the 4S which he acquired earlier this season. Although he landed four types of quads five times at the Lombardia Trophy, his plan is to include three types of quads four times in his Olympic free skate, just as he did at last season’s World Championships where he finished second. Although his base value will decrease by 4.45 points in total, he is committed to this new layout, saying “With the same layout as last year’s, I will now start over from the beginning.”

He has changed his layout repeatedly this year through trial and error, but he has yet to deliver a performance that leaves him satisfied since his first competition. “Because I’ve been switching between too many different layouts, nothing is soaking into my body. It is very crucial for me to soak into my programs.” Since last year, he’s continued to level up the difficulty of his programs, but from now onwards, he plans to lower the difficulty and focus more on perfecting his program."

Woah, thanks for sharing Alifyre (great new avatar, btw) I'm impressed and proud that Shoma and his team decided to lower the difficulty and try to skate one layout that his body knows inside out by the time the Olympic comes. I think honestly the Nationals was the last competition where Shoma kind of tried to make it work and changed things around a bit. They realized it doesn't work and now try to go clean with an 'easier' layout, if you can even call it that, I still think it's crazy difficult. I hope he has no regrets about this decision though. I'm somehow comforted and sure that this is the right way. Shoma has so many years of his career still in front of him, I think this year stability needs to happen and that soon. Well done!

biryanione

On the Ice
Team fluffly please forget about this crazy 2a-4t (he couldn't land one in practice) especially in the 2nd half. The quad flip is also not working in the 2nd half either (and he always lands it in the SP). Shoma's layout is just too hard, bad performance after bad performance since the beginning of the season. The strategy never changes. Three quads in the 2nd half are obviously not working. The 4lo became one of his most reliable quads, probably because it's in the 1st half.

I'm seriously worried and I think we have every reason to be worried. This strategy is destroying him and his chances. I used to watch Shoma with a certain confidence that things would work, maybe with little mistakes here and there. Now I watch Shoma with 100 per cent feeling that he's gonna bomb.
Team fluffy seems totally ok about everything. Nothing changes, if anything it changes for worse (like the obviously crazy 2a-4t that he couldn't land even in practices at these nationals). Everything is seriously not ok.

copied from Alifyre’s post #6818:

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/new...00015000c.html

==========================================================

Leonardo!!
This sounds better, yes?! Shoma himself has decided overnight. Maybe it’s your miracle!

biryanione

On the Ice
Woah, thanks for sharing Alifyre (great new avatar, btw) I'm impressed and proud that Shoma and his team decided to lower the difficulty and try to skate one layout that his body knows inside out by the time the Olympic comes. I think honestly the Nationals was the last competition where Shoma kind of tried to make it work and changed things around a bit. They realized it doesn't work and now try to go clean with an 'easier' layout, if you can even call it that, I still think it's crazy difficult. I hope he has no regrets about this decision though. I'm somehow comforted and sure that this is the right way. Shoma has so many years of his career still in front of him, I think this year stability needs to happen and that soon. Well done!

And this was his own conclusion overnight you know! (he's a grown up after all! I am adding that being a grown up, he can keep adjusting re fine tuning,
if he feels he must! He always has a good "gut" feel.)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
And this was his own conclusion overnight you know! (he's a grown up after all! I am adding that being a grown up, he can keep adjusting re fine tuning,
if he feels he must! He always has a good "gut" feel.)

A lot of people were going on about how Shoma looked uncomfortable in the spotlight he's been in the last few days, but I honestly don't see it. I mean, it's not like he's an attention seeker, but that was never him. But the way he talks in the talk shows, the way he answers questions - he knows how to handle the media. It's easy to forget that Shoma has been hyped from a young age and skated in shows like the infamous one where he critisized Daisuke for the whole world to see. He's been in the spotlight since he was a little boy.

Alifyre

On the Ice

Thanks!! I'm also quite pleased about the change. I think Shoma is capable of being a really strong performer AND jumper, but the layouts he's been doing have forced him to focus more on his jumps. Plus it must be frustrating to be falling so much, i feel it may help his confidence to have a layout he really knows he can land 100%. I hope now he can find a nice balance and ultimately walk away with performances that he is proud of (and hopefully also an Olympic medal while he's at it!)

biryanione

On the Ice
A lot of people were going on about how Shoma looked uncomfortable in the spotlight he's been in the last few days, but I honestly don't see it. I mean, it's not like he's an attention seeker, but that was never him. But the way he talks in the talk shows, the way he answers questions - he knows how to handle the media. It's easy to forget that Shoma has been hyped from a young age and skated in shows like the infamous one where he critisized Daisuke for the whole world to see. He's been in the spotlight since he was a little boy.

It's probably that he is so comfortable with this skating spotlight life, that he feels free to be his uncomfortable self!

biryanione

On the Ice
Thanks!! I'm also quite pleased about the change. I think Shoma is capable of being a really strong performer AND jumper, but the layouts he's been doing have forced him to focus more on his jumps. Plus it must be frustrating to be falling so much, i feel it may help his confidence to have a layout he really knows he can land 100%. I hope now he can find a nice balance and ultimately walk away with performances that he is proud of (and hopefully also an Olympic medal while he's at it!)

(...olympic gold...) But yes, him even facing all he felt overnight and deciding must feel good. I'm hoping for a good month, a good COUPLE of months, for Shoma now! (I keep thinking of him, when I have to think so much about other things at the end of this year in my life!)

Thank you for the link/news.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since we have a lot of Shoma/Keiji moments I link this! I think it's fitting since Shoma has something of an Christmas elf in his leprechaun Outfit, too!

Shoma skated to See you again! at MOI. And some guitar solo of Joy to the World. He's precious!

Oh my gosh -- one of my all-time favorites. I remember someone writing the caption "Keiji making the baby wave." Those two are so funny together. Love the old face! Super glad they'll be together at the Olympics. Here is another favorite of mine. They both need their beauty sleep -- at the Rostelecom banquet.
https://twitter.com/deka_1122/status/795873526024540160

I guess Calvin didn't show up at Medalists on Ice from what I could see.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Totally agree. Compare these to some of those old Kenji interviews where Kenji could barely get him to give even a one-word answer. He is SO much more at ease now. The only time I see him get a little flustered is when they try to trap him into making comments about other skaters. And with the spotlight (in general) I think he did well.

I sent him a telepathic message about playing his own game and the importance of muscle memory. I guess he heard me.

Latremu

Final Flight
So much good news this morning!

Here's another one:
"I've never had faith in myself. But now, I realize that I'm just being rude towards myself if I'm not putting trust in all that I have practiced. From now on, I would like to attack everything with belief in myself." https://t.co/LftnZWluLO

Source:
https://twitter.com/cantilover/status/945416787021135872

Finally, Shoma!! You're a top skater, believe it!

With him, every failure is an opportunity. Disappointment pushes him to improve, and he's actually a pretty smart guy, so he learns and realizes things as he goes along.

I also love how spontaneous he is in his answers to the media now, but very thoughtful. Two years ago, he was whispering his answers and could barely be heard, now he speaks in a normal volume and answers straight out. Plus he's very diplomatic when asked about possible controversial issues. So much progress.

Latremu

Final Flight
MOI:
Opening with Shoma's failed opening cry :laugh2:
Christmas medley where Shoma skates to "Joy to the World" and does a Hanyu-type lunge exit on his 4T :rofl: Plus, he shows up to the group interview late since they started the interview as he was finishing up his performance. Note the hand of the staff member pushing him into the frame! And Keiji barely able to keep from laughing out loud!
Juniors' tribute medley to send out the Olympians!

There's so many "deer in headlights" moments for Shoma here, it's hilarious. But his humor has definitely shone through this year!

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
By the way, if Shoma wins 4CC, which is pretty likely, he'll be #1 in the World Standings going into the Olympics.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Ooh. What about Season Standings? Just out of curiosity.

Likely #2, depending on Kolyada's ranking at the European Championships, who has over 100 points headstart in the Season Rankings. This, of course, depending also on whether Nathan goes to 4CC too or not, since Nathan's 3rd in the Season Rankings. Edit: But that seems unlikely.

Latremu

Final Flight
Oh, Kolyada did do that extra Challenger Series competition.

Don't they wait until the end of the season before they update World Standings? I thought that was the case, but I may be mistaken.

Edit- Season's standings is Kolyada, Voronov, Chen, and Shoma. Boyang and Javier 11 and 12. Hanyu 24, Patrick Chan 71. What a crazy season this has been. [emoji28]

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Oh, Kolyada did do that extra Challenger Series competition.

Don't they wait until the end of the season before they update World Standings? I thought that was the case, but I may be mistaken.

Edit- Season's standings is Kolyada, Voronov, Chen, and Shoma. Boyang and Javier 11 and 12. Hanyu 24, Patrick Chan 71. What a crazy season this has been. [emoji28]

I was so positive we won't get another Sochi before the season began, and now I'm not sure. I hope every skater skates to the best of their ability. Just shows what an amazing competition Worlds 2017 was. Ah, I would love to see that again at the Olympics, but in my heart I know that won't happen. At least now that Shoma decided on a layout and sticks with it, I'm a bit more positive that he can churn out a clean Free at the Olympics.