Should they introduce limits to Grand Prix Final entries. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Should they introduce limits to Grand Prix Final entries.

hanca

Record Breaker
If I had a choice, I would put no limits to GP events (not even to 3 per country per event) and no limits to GPF (only the best to compete, no matter which country they come from).

Limits at Europeans and 4CC (3 per country), so that all countries from Europe can have someone at Europeans and all countries outside Europe can have something at 4CC.

No limits at worlds. I would love to see really the best of the best, no matter what nationality. If I am going to watch 7 Japanese men and 5 US men, so be it. Same if I am going to watch half of the field Russian ladies, then a quarter of Japanese and a quarter of US ladies and no one else. In my view, Worlds should mean the best in the world. To support development of skating in other countries, use B competitions, Europeans and 4CC. Not GP, GPF and Worlds.

Having a different way for selection for Euros/4CC and worlds would also please different crowd of fans. Those who watch it because they want to see a skater from their country competing, they would probably prefer Euros/4CC. Those who attend to see the sport being pushed further and further, they would watch worlds.

However, for Olympics I would put the limits as it is now.

hanca

Record Breaker
No! Worlds has limits. I say all 6 can be from one town in one country!

I wouldn't mind that. If they were really the best in the world, I wouldn't care less which country they come from or whether they live in the same city, street or wherever. Even if it was 10 skaters from the same club, with the same coach.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
It shouldn't be about "fun" but rather rewarding skaters who have shown excellence throughout the GP season.

Personally, I think watching the six skaters who performed best on the circuit compete in the final is plenty fun, regardless of where they're from.

I'm for letting the highest achievers on the JGP and GP go to the final, regardless of country. In other words, no limits. For Worlds/Olympics, I despise the limitations that keep some of the best skaters out of the competition. I want to see the best, even if that means some countries are overrepresented. I do understand that the quota limits allow more balanced participation from other federations, and I support that too. But I would like to see an adjustment where there are "Wild Card" ISU picks from the top skaters that lost out under the established country limitations and earned spots. Even if the ISU takes the top 10 achievers per discipline (by some tbd criteria) who did not get selected for the regular spots on their countries' teams, puts their names in a hat, and draws out 4 at random to be added into the competition.

Yeah, something like that might be nice to see. I'd prefer the selection based on merit somehow, rather than randomly. Maybe they could take the few with the best achieved scores of the season who didn't get selected or something.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The World needs to move forward. Why does it matter what country someone is from? Everything should be based on individual merit.

Barb

Record Breaker
I am agree that the best skaters must to compete but honestly the limit of 3 skaters for country makes nationals (USA, Japan and Russia) very interesting, nerve wracking and funny :popcorn::p

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
That's very true! Somehow the National Championships still need to be relevant.

The best way would be increasing interest in the sport, so that skaters get a lot more prize money at Nationals and are motivated to compete hard there. :)