Skate advice | Golden Skate

Skate advice

KGT

Spectator
My daughter (9 years old, very petite, only 45 lbs) recently started figure skating and is only taking group classes at our local rink and is just beginning in Basic 2. We have only been using the rental skates since we did not know if she wanted to stick with it. We decided to buy her some skates and was going to buy her the Jackson Artiste recommended by coach and fitter. Our good friends knew we were starting skating and were looking to buy skates and gave us a pair of Jackson Elle that her daughter wore. They fit my daughter well. I read these are for more of an intermediate skater. I would love to use them...it would really save us some money, but is that skate too much for her? The other mothers were appalled that I'd let her use them at this level. I don't want to hinder her progress. What are your opinions? Thank you!

Sibelius

On the Ice
As long as they fit her well, and you should verify that with a good skate fitter, they are fine for her. They are a much higher quality boot than the Artiste. My skater went from an Artiste to an Elle and aside from the quality of the boot there just isn't that much difference in stiffness. The blade on the Artiste is the Mark IV, and the one on the Elle, the Mirage are similar in profile. Just not that much difference. If the other mother's were appalled they have no idea what they are talking about. The only criteria at this stage is proper fit.

KGT

Spectator
Sibelius, thank you so much!! You have made me feel better! I was feeling so conflicted and my daughter was so excited to get the skates, but I didn’t let her wear them because I was afraid it was too stiff. Thank you!! The fitter said they do fit her well,so now I just need to get them sharpened. I know nothing about ice skating so when the moms voiced their opinion I felt so bad. I really appreciate your opinion and information.

Sibelius

On the Ice
You are most welcome. Have her instructor take a look at her in them to confirm, but she should be perfectly fine. By the way, the Artiste is a good beginner skate. Mine would have worn that one longer but the lace hook broke and it was more costly to repair than to replace. Jackson actually replaced it under warranty, but she couldn't be without a skate for the time it took to get a new one. We still have the replacement under the bed, never sharpened. The Elle was a big step up in quality. If it's the old style Elle (not the newer plastic soled Fusion) it has an LCL (Layered cork leather) sole. Make sure she dries it off after skating and don't store them in any bag. The insoles can get mildewy as well so vent them well. I hope your daughter enjoys them and moves along quickly.

treesprite

Final Flight
Sibelius, thank you so much!! You have made me feel better! I was feeling so conflicted and my daughter was so excited to get the skates, but I didn’t let her wear them because I was afraid it was too stiff. Thank you!! The fitter said they do fit her well,so now I just need to get them sharpened. I know nothing about ice skating so when the moms voiced their opinion I felt so bad. I really appreciate your opinion and information.

I can tell you from experience working as a rink guard and at rental skate exchange, that most LTS parents have no clue at all about skates, and even in this wealthy area, they judge skates by how much money they can save by going cheap or using over-sized skates just because it saves money. Sometimes I actually have to try to convince them to use rental skates instead of nice new skates bought online that can't be returned.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
My daughter (9 years old, very petite, only 45 lbs) recently started figure skating and is only taking group classes at our local rink and is just beginning in Basic 2. We have only been using the rental skates since we did not know if she wanted to stick with it. We decided to buy her some skates and was going to buy her the Jackson Artiste recommended by coach and fitter. Our good friends knew we were starting skating and were looking to buy skates and gave us a pair of Jackson Elle that her daughter wore. They fit my daughter well. I read these are for more of an intermediate skater. I would love to use them...it would really save us some money, but is that skate too much for her? The other mothers were appalled that I'd let her use them at this level. I don't want to hinder her progress. What are your opinions? Thank you!

Your daughter will be fine in the Elle’s (30 stiffness rating) as long as those properly fit her (w/o very thick socks). It’s not much stiffer than the Artiste (25 stiffness rating and has a better stock blade IIRC). Ignore the other parents who are clueless. Good luck to you and your daughter! :)

jf12

Final Flight
In addition, used skates will always be less stiff than new skates because the first skater has broken them in.

Sibelius

On the Ice
One thing to add, because I'm not sure if it can be done more than once, or if it's necessary for a used boot, is to ask a tech whether they can be heat molded. The Elle is the first boot in the Jackson lineup that offers that feature. What happens is that they put the skates in a special oven that warms them up, your skater puts them on while warm and they conform to their feet. Again, I don't know if it can be done more than once since I've never asked!

Nimyue

On the Ice
For what it's worth, my daughter's first pair of skates were Elles, and they have been great for her! No issue with being too stiff.

KGT

Spectator
You are most welcome. Have her instructor take a look at her in them to confirm, but she should be perfectly fine. By the way, the Artiste is a good beginner skate. Mine would have worn that one longer but the lace hook broke and it was more costly to repair than to replace. Jackson actually replaced it under warranty, but she couldn't be without a skate for the time it took to get a new one. We still have the replacement under the bed, never sharpened. The Elle was a big step up in quality. If it's the old style Elle (not the newer plastic soled Fusion) it has an LCL (Layered cork leather) sole. Make sure she dries it off after skating and don't store them in any bag. The insoles can get mildewy as well so vent them well. I hope your daughter enjoys them and moves along quickly.

Yes, they are the older Elle. I will definitely make sure she dries them off. She already has a towel, soakers, and blade guards that she picked out. She is so excited! Thank you again for the good wishes and all of the help!! I so appreciate it!

KGT

Spectator
I can tell you from experience working as a rink guard and at rental skate exchange, that most LTS parents have no clue at all about skates, and even in this wealthy area, they judge skates by how much money they can save by going cheap or using over-sized skates just because it saves money. Sometimes I actually have to try to convince them to use rental skates instead of nice new skates bought online that can't be returned.

Treesprite, thank you! That is why I was asking. I wanted to make sure I got what my daughter needed.....whether I bought or used the gifted ones. I am one of those who know nothing about skating, but trying to learn quickly 😉

KGT

Spectator
Ic3Rabbit, thank you for your kind words. I feel so much better after hearing from all of you kind people on here. I was really feeling bad about the situation at the rink....some of them were really snarky......so thank you!! I truly appreciate the information and encouragement.

KGT

Spectator
One thing to add, because I'm not sure if it can be done more than once, or if it's necessary for a used boot, is to ask a tech whether they can be heat molded. The Elle is the first boot in the Jackson lineup that offers that feature. What happens is that they put the skates in a special oven that warms them up, your skater puts them on while warm and they conform to their feet. Again, I don't know if it can be done more than once since I've never asked!

Sibelius, thank you again! I will definitely ask about this.

KGT

Spectator
For what it's worth, my daughter's first pair of skates were Elles, and they have been great for her! No issue with being too stiff.

Nimyue, oh that is great to hear! My daughter is so excited! We just got them sharpened today so she can't wait for her class this week. Thank you!