Skate Canada 2024 Junior and Senior Sectionals | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2024 Junior and Senior Sectionals

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Here are the dates and locations for the different sectionals leading to the 2024 Skate Canada Challenge. Details (schedules and entry lists) will come later.

Patinage Québec Championnats de section (Junior and Senior, including synchro)
November 2-5
Sainte-Marie de Beauce

2024 Skate Canada BC/YT Sectionals Super Series
November 9-12
Kelowna

2024 Skate AB/ NT/ NU Sectional Championships
November 2-5
Calgary

2024 Skate Saskatchewan Sectionals
November 11-12
Moose Jaw

Skate Ontario has a multi-event Structure.

Qualifying events are held in August (18-20) in Kitchener Waterloo, in October (12-15) in Barrie, and culminates with the
Junior and Senior Sectional Championships in November (2-5) in York.

If anyone knows anything about how the Atlantic provinces qualify, please share away !

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The entry list is out for the ONT October event. This will be my focus for next week. I’m looking forward to it!!

See below for the list of competitors:

I’m going to be rooting for mainly Gabby Daleman in the Senior Women’s field and of course Romsky is debuting. I think they can’t pull out, because they won’t qualify for Nationals, if they do.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The entry list is out for the ONT October event. This will be my focus for next week. I’m looking forward to it!!

See below for the list of competitors:

I’m going to be rooting for mainly Gabby Daleman in the Senior Women’s field and of course Romsky is debuting. I think they can’t pull out, because they won’t qualify for Nationals, if they do.
There is the November event... I am not sure how Ontario is working this year. So weird.... it seems they have different qualifying events... All the other provinces have their sectionals in November but Ontario would have a 3 step series? How does it work? I am not sure.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Livestream links:
Blue Rink (senior men and women will be competing here)
Red Rink

As far as I can figure out from here, they rank the scores from the October/August events to qualify for sectionals in November. They have to register to have their scores tracked (list is here.) Highest combined score is used for qualifying for November.

The exception to it is if they had an international assignment. In that case, the international score will be used instead. Like Hensen/Lickers were at Finlandia and aren't entered here, so their Finlandia scores will be used instead for November. Hetty Shi also registered to be tracked under senior women, but isn't entered here so they'll use her JGP score.

October 17 is when they email the registration links to the qualified skaters so that they can register for the November event, and that closes October 19 as per the November event page. No minimum score, but Skate Ontario reserves the right to ensure skaters are at the appropriate competitive level for the event.

They have the maximum entries for November (Junior/Senior) as:
Singles - 36 men/36 women
Dance - 30 teams
Pairs - 24 teams

Roman has a bye to Nationals thanks to his Grand Prix assignment, so he could withdraw. But that wouldn't look good two weeks before his (so far) only assignment.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
@saine Perfect post. Thanks for the explanation. Everything you posted makes sense. It explains why Daleman competed and finished her program back in August. She wants to qualify to Sectionals. Very interesting 🤔

I like this combined event format more.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think I messed up explaining the combined score since it's supposed to be the highest overall combined total score from the same event. So SP/FP or RD/FD from either August or October (or an international if applicable), but not both combined since not everyone is doing both events. They're not making it easy 😅 I do think Gabby would've finished the free in August since she'd need to do the full competition for a chance at a Challenger.

If the number of entries in a category doesn't exceed the maximum number of entries, then everyone can advance to November. Looking at the entries, I don't think they're exceeding the spots for any category, maybe junior women or senior women. It'd be certainly be something if they ever had more than 20 entries for pairs.

August rankings were published, and Gabby so far has the highest score for senior women so she should advance to November. I think the only woman competing here who had a higher summer score is Amelia Orzel. Amelia's listed under the Ontario tracking declaration for Thornhill FSC (same as Conrad), so she could be giving Gabby some competition in November.

Sackie

Medalist
Just saw that Roman has WD. Does not look good for SCI. If he is not ready I hope he withdraws in time for CAN to send a replacement and not leave the spot empty.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Gabby Daleman withdrew too. I hope she's okay and is able to make it to November.

If Roman does withdraw from SCI, there shouldn't be any excuse to not have a replacement since it's in Vancouver and they sent out two men from there to Challengers. One of them even shares coaches with two other men going, so they should be able to get someone last minute if it comes to that.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I still have the two Katherine’s in the Senior Women’s field and Corey/Bruce in the Senior Men’s field… will watch over the weekend.

Sackie

Medalist
Well Roman has WD from SCI. No replacement named as yet. Hope they do not leave the spot empty or give it too another country like they did with ladies last year.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well Roman has WD from SCI. No replacement named as yet. Hope they do not leave the spot empty or give it too another country like they did with ladies last year.
Now that he has no GP event, does this mean he has no Nationals since he missed both Sectional Series? Is his season over? 😭

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Now that he has no GP event, does this mean he has no Nationals since he missed both Sectional Series? Is his season over? 😭
From Skate Canada's Control of Competitons:

Byes Due to International Assignments to Skate Canada Challenge and the Canadian Figure Skating Championships​

Competitors who register for Junior and/or Senior Events at the relevant Sectionals competition and who have been assigned or qualified as follows will be granted an automatic entry into the Canadian Figure Skating Championships:
  • Those who have been assigned by the ISU Grand Prix selection group (or by Skate Canada in the case of home entries to Skate Canada International) to a Senior Grand Prix
  • Those who have been assigned by Skate Canada to a Senior International within seven days of Skate Canada Challenge
  • Those who have qualified for the Junior Grand Prix Final Event
It says assigned to the GP, not compete on the GP. For Senior International, Golden Spin of Zagreb falls within the seven days of Challenge, so he could get a bye that way if the GP assignment doesn't count. Roman planned this part of the season around competing on the Grand Prix, so it wouldn't be fair to him to take away that bye in my opinion. I'd rather skaters feel free to withdraw rather than worsen injuries in order to keep byes.

Which leads to...

Extraordinary Circumstances and Medical Byes​

Extraordinary circumstance Byes to Skate Canada Challenge or the Canadian Figure Skating Championships at any level may be granted by the High Performance Development Committee in consultation with the Skate Canada President, Skate Canada CEO, Director(s) of High Performance and NextGen, as appropriate. Such Byes will only be granted in extraordinary circumstances where the skater has demonstrated worthiness for a Bye. Such a Bye is extraordinary and will generally be related to medical conditions. In this case, such Byed competitor(s) will be in addition to the designated maximum number of competitors in the relevant Canadian Figure Skating Championships Event. Requests for consideration for a Bye must be made in writing to the Skate Canada CEO and must contain a description of the grounds upon which such Bye is being requested.
Roman has the highest PB of the men competing this year and has placed twelth at Worlds previously. Right now he's the most experienced of the men. If his GP bye doesn't count and he doesn't get Zagreb, Skate Canada will very likely give him a medical bye for Nationals since they need him skating at his best.

(I got bored one day and read up about byes, that's what I do for fun, ha ha)

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Is Skate Ontario having issues with the scoring software? It looks like they're on Novice Women Group 3 and there's no scores for the Senior Women, who should've competed already. And they're not announcing the scores before they announced the final skater.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Is Skate Ontario having issues with the scoring software? It looks like they're on Novice Women Group 3 and there's no scores for the Senior Women, who should've competed already. And they're not announcing the scores before they announced the final skater.
Yes. I was watching Novice girls and the scoring system was working for Group 1 and a bit for Group 2. I tuned in to watch Senior Women. But, all I saw was Novice Girls. I missed the Senior Women. But, when you click on the athlete, you can see their PCS score and the jumps executed. But, TES scores for each element are zeroes.
I think Natalie had the highest TES content executed. So, I think she is in first. But, who knows? 🤗

I was going to watch the Men. But, with no Romsky, I will go for dinner with friends instead.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
From Skate Canada's Control of Competitons:

It says assigned to the GP, not compete on the GP. For Senior International, Golden Spin of Zagreb falls within the seven days of Challenge, so he could get a bye that way if the GP assignment doesn't count. Roman planned this part of the season around competing on the Grand Prix, so it wouldn't be fair to him to take away that bye in my opinion. I'd rather skaters feel free to withdraw rather than worsen injuries in order to keep byes.

Which leads to...

Roman has the highest PB of the men competing this year and has placed twelth at Worlds previously. Right now he's the most experienced of the men. If his GP bye doesn't count and he doesn't get Zagreb, Skate Canada will very likely give him a medical bye for Nationals since they need him skating at his best.

(I got bored one day and read up about byes, that's what I do for fun, ha ha)
Thanks for doing this research. I’m glad he has time to heal properly and just focus on Nationals and maybe a Challenger event prior to Nationals. I need him to be on top form this year.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yes. I was watching Novice girls and the scoring system was working for Group 1 and a bit for Group 2. I tuned in to watch Senior Women. But, all I saw was Novice Girls. I missed the Senior Women. But, when you click on the athlete, you can see their PCS score and the jumps executed. But, TES scores for each element are zeroes.
I think Natalie had the highest TES content executed. So, I think she is in first. But, who knows? 🤗
It'll certainly make Nationals more interesting if they don't get scoring working by then and don't know who's in first by the end of it 😵‍💫

Skate Ontario November Entries are partially up. It looks like the Novice Men are all advancing even if they don't have their free scores yet, or haven't even skated it yet tonight.

The Final Skate Ontario Sectional Declaration List is posted too. Fiona/Gabriel are now on it.