2023-24 Skate Canada Challenge – Junior | Senior | Golden Skate

2023-24 Skate Canada Challenge – Junior | Senior

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Start orders are up! It looks like most of the National Team members who aren't at NHK/Zagreb/GPF will be here (y)
They have no choice if they want to compete lol YAY ! Conrad ! (insert sarcastic grin)
And Fiona is listed as competing both singles and pairs, which I don't know how she'll do when they'll be happening at the same time 😳
They put her first in the women's event... i didn't check the schedules properly but they will make it happen.. in what condition? I don't know.
Also for @RatedPG , Grace Johnson is on the start order :)

Someone will be happy with that ;)

Side note
It seems our reigning junior men champion Edward Vasii is still injured.... Would he have a medical bye for Nationals. I hope so.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Start orders are up! It looks like most of the National Team members who aren't at NHK/Zagreb/GPF will be here (y)

And Fiona is listed as competing both singles and pairs, which I don't know how she'll do when they'll be happening at the same time 😳

Also for @RatedPG , Grace Johnson is on the start order :)
Fiona!! Doesn’t she get a bye for Senior Ladies. It will be interesting to see her do both.

Yay!!! So happy to see Grace!!! She WD from Sectionals and I believe there were 3 entries and 3 spots up for grabs (Kaiya had a bye); I think she wasn’t feeling ready and knew that all three entries would be selected, anyways. I can’t wait to watch her again 👏

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Fiona!! Doesn’t she get a bye for Senior Ladies. It will be interesting to see her do both.

Yay!!! So happy to see Grace!!! She WD from Sectionals and I believe there were 3 entries and 3 spots up for grabs (Kaiya had a bye); I think she wasn’t feeling ready and knew that all three entries would be selected, anyways. I can’t wait to watch her again 👏

Fiona does have a bye for being a National medalist. That's why I'm surprised that she's signed up for both since they're scheduled for the same time in different rinks.

Byed skaters don't count against Challenge entries, so Alberta had 4 spots + Kaiya.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don’t see entries for Junior Girls 😔

Junior Boys - I’m happy to see David Howes and William Chan
Senior Men - This is actually a good opportunity for Conrad. He gets to battle with Stephen. Also, I’m interested in the battle for bronze between the rest of the pack. Interested if anybody else scores over 213. Romsky and Wesley of course have international events.
Senior Women - No Gabrielle Daleman 😭😭😭; I guess she is done or injured.
Too many ONT entries. Should be more from QUE. Interesting to see everybody on here, except for Maddie.
Rooting for Kaiya/Grace/Hetty!!
Uliana/Rose/Fee-Ann moving on up!!
I guess 17 spots up for grabs!!

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Fiona does have a bye for being a National medalist. That's why I'm surprised that she's signed up for both since they're scheduled for the same time in different rinks.

Byed skaters don't count against Challenge entries, so Alberta had 4 spots + Kaiya.
Fiona should ditch Senior Ladies until Nationals and only focus on Pairs here.

Ok. So, plenty of spots for AB. Grace didn’t have to skate at Sectionals. She essentially gave herself a bye to Challenger 😜

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
I didn't notice Gabby not on the list :frown:.

33 entries for senior women, 3 of them have byes, 14 spots available. So 16 women here won't make it to Nationals. Good luck to them!

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
I did some projections based on byes and Challenge entries. Junior and Senior both have the same number of spots at Nationals (18 for singles, 12 for pairs, 15 for ice dance), and those have had the number of skaters with byes taken away to determine the number of available spots.

Nationals Entries AvailableChallenge EntriesSkaters Competing Without ByesNumber That Will Not AdvanceProjected Nationals Entries
Senior Men131412017
Senior Women1433301618
Senior Pairs866010
Senior Ice Dance885012
Junior Men181919118
Junior Women1836361818
Junior Pairs95508
Junior Ice Dance151515015

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Stephen is now listed as withdrawn from the event. I had a feeling that would happen.
But, this makes sense. He doesn’t have to compete and anything but a win at this event, is a lose situation.

Kaiya/Conrad/Fiona are the other three athletes I’m 50/50 with regarding expecting a WD.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
But, this makes sense. He doesn’t have to compete and anything but a win at this event, is a lose situation.

Kaiya/Conrad/Fiona are the other three athletes I’m 50/50 with regarding expecting a WD.
I was kind of surprised he'd signed up. I wouldn't want to come to Winnipeg to compete if I trained in California and didn't have to, and I live here 🥶 Maybe he found a local competition in California to do instead.

I can see Fiona withdrawing depending on how she does in the short. The women's free starts at 9:30 am and the pairs free starts at 11:50 am, so there's an hour block there for pairs plus time to get ready for a different discipline.

For Kaiya and Conrad, I think they'll do the full competition. Skate Canada's press release is using them as the better known names that will be competing (I like them both, but I don't they or Brooke/Ben are at household name level yet as Skate Canada says in the release.) I don't think Skate Canada would do that if they thought either of them would withdraw.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I was kind of surprised he'd signed up. I wouldn't want to come to Winnipeg to compete if I trained in California and didn't have to, and I live here 🥶 Maybe he found a local competition in California to do instead.

I can see Fiona withdrawing depending on how she does in the short. The women's free starts at 9:30 am and the pairs free starts at 11:50 am, so there's an hour block there for pairs plus time to get ready for a different discipline.

For Kaiya and Conrad, I think they'll do the full competition. Skate Canada's press release is using them as the better known names that will be competing (I like them both, but I don't they or Brooke/Ben are at household name level yet as Skate Canada says in the release.) I don't think Skate Canada would do that if they thought either of them would withdraw.
That makes sense to me!! Hopefully, Kaiya and Conrad remain, as I’ll be rooting for these two, to win their respective disciplines.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Brooke/Ben have withdrawn now, so I don't think my household name theory works. Hopefully it's a case of it not being more serious than not liking the weather in Winnipeg.

I think that Kaiya and Conrad will stay since I now have my Challenge as part of 4CC selection criteria theory.

Sackie

Medalist
Wonder if Fiona is doing both here just to test the waters and see how it feels to do both at the same event.
Too bad about Brooke and Ben. After their last outing they really could have used another chance to skate before going into nationals with that bad skate as their last memory.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
At this point, Brooke and Ben may not qualify for home worlds. I think Kelly Ann and Loucas are in better position.

Reverie

On the Ice
Hmm looked at the schedule but am assuming it is CST times they have posted on the Skate Canada website for Challenge as it looks like there will be a livestream.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
I'm assuming CST too. Looking at the livestream page, there's going to be a third livestream for special features/interviews.

One more withdraw, Custodio/Hammer in Junior Pairs. That's a shame, I liked them.