Skate fitting advice/help | Golden Skate

Skate fitting advice/help

figuremon

Spectator
I recently went to a fitter about blades and boots. I was told that Edea chorus and MK Pros would be a great fit and so I tried them on and it felt great (didn’t skate in them just tried the boot on)
The thing is, I’ve been in risports skate before going to this fitter and i’m worried if i should really go with the Chorus because of overbooting and my weight etc…

I have medium arches and I weigh about 105-107 lbs, i’m about as tall as 5’4, narrow feet, with a slight greek foot(the second toe is a LITTLE taller as the big toe) not to mention i’m 17
I can only do one half rotation jump, the Waltz jump and then basics.
I was told by my coaches it could work out because I’ve progressed fast (skating since January) But..

I’m just worried and I need any insight/ reassurance / help if I should really go for this skate and their experience if they have similar stats as me because I don’t want to look like a joke with boots and blades that are rated doubles when i can’t do singles YET

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I recently went to a fitter about blades and boots. I was told that Edea chorus and MK Pros would be a great fit and so I tried them on and it felt great (didn’t skate in them just tried the boot on)
The thing is, I’ve been in risports skate before going to this fitter and i’m worried if i should really go with the Chorus because of overbooting and my weight etc…

I have medium arches and I weigh about 105-107 lbs, i’m about as tall as 5’4, narrow feet, with a slight greek foot(the second toe is a LITTLE taller as the big toe) not to mention i’m 17
I can only do one half rotation jump, the Waltz jump and then basics.
I was told by my coaches it could work out because I’ve progressed fast (skating since January) But..

I’m just worried and I need any insight/ reassurance / help if I should really go for this skate and their experience if they have similar stats as me because I don’t want to look like a joke with boots and blades that are rated doubles when i can’t do singles YET
What Risport are you in?

figuremon

Spectator
What Risport are you in?
I was in risport electra + mk flight blades (were not fitted to me by professionals) until my coach suggested i upgrade to a better blade and possibly upgrade boots and gave me a fitter to go to!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I was in risport electra + mk flight blades (were not fitted to me by professionals) until my coach suggested i upgrade to a better blade and possibly upgrade boots and gave me a fitter to go to!
Ok, so did the fitter measure and trace your feet and then tell you a chorus is best? Or no?

Also, welcome to the board!

figuremon

Spectator
Ok, so did the fitter measure and trace your feet and then tell you a chorus is best? Or no?

Also, welcome to the board!
They traced my feet and had me try on a couple models of edea (overture and chorus) after asking my level. They did mention that I have a slight pronation but won’t affect anything and my foot profile fits with edea

Alexatgssw

Spectator
If I may chime in here. I just recently had a boot switch, in and then out of Chorus. Before that I had an old pair of Risport that fitted me incredibly comfortably, but that's old boots from 16-17 years ago (I only got back into skating last year). Went with Chorus+Coro Ace as my coach suggested Italian boots (Chorus or Risport RF3) and Wilson blades. I had wanted to also try Risport RF3 but my local skate shop doesn't stock Risports. Silly me, so I went for the convenient solution and bought Chorus. The inside felt foamy but tight, and I thought that's just new boots and persevered. I didn't have any pain issue, but my feet felt more than a bit squashed in it and I seemed to be scratching the toe pick a lot even though I didn't feel like I was leaning too forward.

So eventually I took the plunge and drove a few hours to a big and reputable skate shop, with the intention to try their RF3 as they had my size. But it's too wide and roomy inside. I was then told that Risport remodelled their lines every few years and the current usual stock lines had wide fit and wide ankle opening (that big V shape of ankle before you put your foot in), and is the widest boots in the market, although one can order narrower width. So current Risport is no longer the Risport that I know and feel comfortable with. With their supply problems with China, waiting time is 4 months.

The shop measured and checked my feet, told me I had very very narrow heel, narrow feet but wider ball area, and for that Jackson would be a better fit (I also did a feet scan standing in one fancy scan machine, comparing various parts of your feet with 'population average'). I had never even thought about trying a Jackson before that. I put my foot in, it felt so comfortable especially compared to the feeling in Chorus (with narrow ball area), so I've bought my first pair of Jackson (Premier). I am similar to you in size, about 115lb & 5'4".

They also suggested Legacy 7 blades for it's lighter. I am not too sure if that would work out as I am still new in this pair, and my coach likes Wilson/English blades. But at least these intermediate level blades are not too expensive and I can always switch back should it become necessary.

I hope you will get a boot+blade combo that really suits you. These things really do matter.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If I may chime in here. I just recently had a boot switch, in and then out of Chorus. Before that I had an old pair of Risport that fitted me incredibly comfortably, but that's old boots from 16-17 years ago (I only got back into skating last year). Went with Chorus+Coro Ace as my coach suggested Italian boots (Chorus or Risport RF3) and Wilson blades. I had wanted to also try Risport RF3 but my local skate shop doesn't stock Risports. Silly me, so I went for the convenient solution and bought Chorus. The inside felt foamy but tight, and I thought that's just new boots and persevered. I didn't have any pain issue, but my feet felt more than a bit squashed in it and I seemed to be scratching the toe pick a lot even though I didn't feel like I was leaning too forward.

So eventually I took the plunge and drove a few hours to a big and reputable skate shop, with the intention to try their RF3 as they had my size. But it's too wide and roomy inside. I was then told that Risport remodelled their lines every few years and the current usual stock lines had wide fit and wide ankle opening (that big V shape of ankle before you put your foot in), and is the widest boots in the market, although one can order narrower width. So current Risport is no longer the Risport that I know and feel comfortable with. With their supply problems with China, waiting time is 4 months.

The shop measured and checked my feet, told me I had very very narrow heel, narrow feet but wider ball area, and for that Jackson would be a better fit (I also did a feet scan standing in one fancy scan machine, comparing various parts of your feet with 'population average'). I had never even thought about trying a Jackson before that. I put my foot in, it felt so comfortable especially compared to the feeling in Chorus (with narrow ball area), so I've bought my first pair of Jackson (Premier). I am similar to you in size, about 115lb & 5'4".

They also suggested Legacy 7 blades for it's lighter. I am not too sure if that would work out as I am still new in this pair, and my coach likes Wilson/English blades. But at least these intermediate level blades are not too expensive and I can always switch back should it become necessary.

I hope you will get a boot+blade combo that really suits you. These things really do matter.
Glad you got things straightened out and are happy.

Your foot sounds perfect for a Graf (swiss boot), you might want to look into those next time around. :)

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany

I just switched from an equally old pair of Jackson boots to Risport. I have quite wide feet, and was shocked that a new pair of Jackson boots felt nothing like my old ones, but the Risport worked for me. I shouldn’t be surprised, but was somehow shocked by how much the brands had changed while I’d been away from the sport. I will say I switched from original Legacy blades, which I think are similar to the current 8s, to CA and have been really happy so far.

They traced my feet and had me try on a couple models of edea (overture and chorus) after asking my level. They did mention that I have a slight pronation but won’t affect anything and my foot profile fits with edea
Does your shop only sell Edea or did they say it’s the only brand that is a good fit to your feet?

I feel like a lot of adult skaters make the jump from very beginner boots/blades to ones suited for doubles much quicker than kids do. Since our feet aren’t growing, this allows us to keep the same boots and blades for years, where kids would need new ones every 6-12 months. I don’t know Edea boots well, but I have heard that each style fits differently. Maybe ask to try on some other, lower level styles, and see how they feel? How did the overture boots feel?