Skaters' nicknames | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Skaters' nicknames

Wildstorm

Rinkside
The ones I use and hear are Daise, Plushy, J-We, Take, Nobu... yah that's about it and funnily enough they're all men. Oh and when I couldn't remember Brandon Mroz's name I refered to him as the one who skates like a fairy princess (I mean it lovingly)

Michelle Kwan (關穎珊 Cantonese: Kwan, Wingshan; Middle Chinese: Kwạn, Wéngshan; Mandarin: Guan Yingshan)

Wingshan 穎珊 is her Cantonese name, literally "sharp coral" or figuratively "the clever, precious one".

Her name illustrates that Cantonese preserves archaic Middle Chinese pronunciations in places where Mandarin has undergone a sound change.

Thanks, skatinginbc. I didn't know that about Cantonese pronunciation vs. Mandarin. It's good to know what Michelle's Cantonese name means, and that she would be called something close to it on visits to China, in Mandarin. The name certainly suits her, in both literal and figurative translation. I did read once that her parents chose her Western name, Michelle, because of the Beatles' song of that name.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Do you know what's the meaning of Patrick Chan's Chinese name 陈伟群? 陈 is his surname. If I'm not mistaken on the word been used in his Chinese name, 伟群, which is his given name, means "great and outstanding above the crowd".:)

Yeah but 伟群 also rhymes with 围裙 which is his nickname among the Chinese skating fans :laugh: ... who are often just as perplexed and torn about his great PCS scores.

围裙 = Apron/Skirt

Could it mean like a kilt, which very fierce men still wear in many Scottish army regiments as dress uniform?

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Could it mean like a kilt, which very fierce men still wear in many Scottish army regiments as dress uniform?

No. Sorry to spoil the possible fun on Patrick's nickname by some.;) 围裙 is exclusively meaning "Apron", not skirt of any kind.

Becki

Medalist
perhaps it's a sign patrick will become a great stay at home dad after his skating career is over :p

ryanbfan

On the Ice
I always make up my own nicknames. Ryan is Ry Brad, I always call Takahiko Kozuka Taka, and I know Keegan Messing personally so I have an array for him... Keegs, Keegster, Keegy... LOL

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I took me a while to understand the Chinese net lingo. I figured out the computer input methods suggest words and phrases that sound like what is typed for the typist to choose from. Such suggestions do not take different intonations into consideration and often include sound alike phrases with completely different meanings but the young netizens simply use them in place of the real words and terms. Some of them are comical.

Also, the skating fans address all the skaters with nicknames rather than the real or officially translated names. Most of them are based on superficial observations of the skater or a program, e.g. Fernandez is Little Pirate. Patrick has maybe 5 or 6 nicknames. "Apron" is of course picked from among the suggestions spewed out by the typing system.