Skaters that you felt would never go to the Olympics but ended up going | Golden Skate

Skaters that you felt would never go to the Olympics but ended up going

soccerjc77

On the Ice
The first came to my mind was Larkyn Austman :

She was not bad for her first Olympic. But I would have never predict her to go to the Olympic.
I was thinking that Alaine Chartrand would have go easily instead of her.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
The first came to my mind was Larkyn Austman :

She was not bad for her first Olympic. But I would have never predict her to go to the Olympic.
I was thinking that Alaine Chartrand would have go easily instead of her.

Shocking. Especially when Austman was a skater unable to qualify for the free skate at both olys and worlds. I wonder if Chartrand bombed at nats because of an injury. If it's nerves, i don't understand since the only ones who were hard to beat were Osmond and Daleman, and there were three spots.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's one thing that still irks me a bit. That the Canadian Olympic Committee went with Larkyn over Alaine. To be crystal clear, I'm NOT faulting Larkyn. I'm putting it on the Canadian Olympic Committee. It doesn't make sense. My logic is that what if Weaver/Poje stayed in 4th after the FD and Caroline and Shane were in 3rd? Would Weaver/Poje been snubbed? I really hope I'm not coming across meanly here.

soccerjc77

On the Ice
Ashley Wagner

Manage to go to the Olympic in 2014 instead of Mirai Nagasu was a big surprise for me.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As for Mirai and Adam, US Nats is not an Olympic trials. It is US Nats.

Ross Miner was never going to the Olympics, no matter what he did at Nats, based on his highly inconsistent senior career. Adam was the natural selection based on his Nats results and his season.

The bigger surprise was Jason Brown's meltdown. Jason had finished higher than Adam in their few head to head competitions prior to that point. All Jason had to do was podium, or even finish fourth, and he would have been selected for the US team. But he didn't. Although I would have loved to see him selected, I certainly couldn't argue with the choice.

And it actually turned out wonderfully for both skaters. Adam has since gone on to a more broad based career that takes advantage of his natural wit and his advocacy. Jason skated for four more years (had he made the 2018 Olys, I doubt he would have), found a new passion for skating and gifted us with some incredible programs.

Win/Win. :)

mrrice

Record Breaker

Ross Miner was never going to the Olympics, no matter what he did at Nats, based on his highly inconsistent senior career. Adam was the natural selection based on his Nats results and his season.

The bigger surprise was Jason Brown's meltdown. Jason had finished higher than Adam in their few head to head competitions prior to that point. All Jason had to do was podium, or even finish fourth, and he would have been selected for the US team. But he didn't. Although I would have loved to see him selected, I certainly couldn't argue with the choice.

And it actually turned out wonderfully for both skaters. Adam has since gone on to a more broad based career that takes advantage of his natural wit and his advocacy. Jason skated for four more years (had he made the 2018 Olys, I doubt he would have), found a new passion for skating and gifted us with some incredible programs.

I only saw Ross in 2011. It was his Casablanca LP and he performed it so well. Other than his final nationals, he was never truly in the hunt.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
As for Ashley and Mirai. I always thought they'd both be going. It's sad that judges had to make a choice during those years. When you win a National Title, you Expect to go to the Olympics and we all saw how devastated Mirai was when they chose Ashley for the team and left at home. I realize they weren't champions the years they didn't go but, I'm sure it stung just as hard.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

An old debate, and you know my stance. It has not changed. We remain friends anyway.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Mana Kawabe. I man, nothing against the young woman but in all the names we hear from Japan, she was barely a blip before the selection - I guess I assumed (before her injury) that Rika Kirira was a pretty sure thing.

Except that there isn't such a thing as a sure thing. I really ought to have learned that...

Last edited:

rabidline

Final Flight
I’m going to answer with a slightly different view.

I was devastated when Higuchi didn’t make the team and was sure that she wouldn’t get another shot.

I was so elated when she did.
Me too! I was trying to not expect too much, especially when pandemic happened just after she gained some momentum and was supposed to compete at Worlds (finishing 2nd at 2019 Japan Nationals). But then she landed her 3A in a GP series. But then Rika Kihira wasn't able to return from injury. But then.... let's just say I cried boatloads when she finished her FS at 2021 Japan Nationals. There was one chance and she made it count.

Mana Kawabe. I man, nothing against the young woman but in all the names we hear from Japan, she was barely a blip before the selection - I guess I assumed (before her injury) that Rika Kirira was a pretty sure thing.

Except that there isn't such a thing as a sure thing. I really ought to have learned that...
The moment Rika was confirmed to not compete at 2021 Japan Nationals, I knew Hamada was going to have one Japanese girl at the Olympics and it's going to be Mana (I noticed it since Mana was the substitute for all of Rika's GP withdrawals). It would be embarrassing if Hamada went to the Olympics without any Japanese skater (she was Young's and Vincent's coach).

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
An old debate, and you know my stance. It has not changed. We remain friends anyway.

My friend, I actually agree with you. I think using US Nats as Olympic trials is fun and exciting, and I like the idea of top three go. I would have sent Ross if I were Queen of the World.

Alas, I am not. The facts are that USFS would never have sent Ross, so I was just reciting the facts as I saw them. Now, I thought the rules were a little loosey-goosey then. By the time 2022 rolled around they were actually written down and spelled out, so I had less of an issue, as everyone knew the standards.

They did not consult me, or you I suspect about the rules. Their loss. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
my answer from the other thread...

Larkyn Austman, finished 3rd at Nationals... Canada sent her because she had done well enough but I never expected that Alaine wouldn't qualify... As a matter of fact, Larkyn barely beat Alaine at Nationals... (she didn't even have a 3lz if I recall) but Alaine's poor showing in the SP scared the fed enough... that and her poor showing at GPs that season. So this would be for lack of technical arsenal...

SImilar with Roman going.. I was really hoping Nam could finish his career at the games with Keegan... Nam had a disastrous competition. Roman was good enough to go... but had a terrible outing at the games.
I would need to dig further to consider skaters from other nations than Canada or consider much further away in time.. this is just on top of my head. This would be as limited spot and competitive (sort of) field. Deep in my heart I was hoping Jo Phan would make it... he finished 4th, though he finished 3rd in both segments at nationals.

Ashley Wagner

Manage to go to the Olympic in 2014 instead of Mirai Nagasu was a big surprise for me.
The USFSA snuck up on us over the years. They gradually and subtly changed the criteria for selection to the Olympic team over about a decade and did so withoiut much publicity. Fans had gotten used to the "first three at Nationals go, period" formula, so when the USFSA decided that npoe, thet's not the way it is anymore, many were unprepared for the change. The fact is that the system under which Mirai and Ashley were evaluated in 2014 absolutley required that Ashley get the nod -- she had checked the required boxes (in terms of international ressults, etc.) and Mirai had not.

It caught us unawares and seemed controversial only because we because we had not been paying attention to the changes in the selection rules.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The USFSA snuck up on us over the years. They gradually and subtly changed the criteria for selection to the Olympic team over about a decade and did so withoiut much publicity. Fans had gotten used to the "first three at Nationals go, period" formula, so when the USFSA decided that npoe, thet's not the way it is anymore, many were unprepared for the change. The fact is that the system under which Mirai and Ashley were evaluated in 2014 absolutley required that Ashley get the nod -- she had checked the required boxes (in terms of international ressults, etc.) and Mirai had not.

It caught us unawares and seemed controversial only because we because we had not been paying attention to the changes in the selection rules.
Perhaps but I recall just recently for Beijing a long thread about Ilia not being selected... I would expect the unawareness would wear off at some point if that was the main factor

Last edited:

mikeko666

Final Flight
Akiko Suziki - No one expected her to make the Olympic Team when she made her GPS debut at age 23 in 2008. JSF intended to send Nakano Yukari to Vancouver because they were heavily criticized for scarificing her to send Miki Ando to Turin.

Last edited: