Skaters who are not "your cup of tea"? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skaters who are not "your cup of tea"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aschiutza

On the Ice
I used to find Todd Eldredge very boring back in the day and coudn't understand why is he a world champ and not my beloved Kulik :laugh: . Count me to those few who didn'l liked Kwan skating, i think i just don't like princess on ice (i didn't hate it either, just didn't make "click" with me). I still think she was better than Tara thought and i can appreciate her great legacy in FS.

On the other side, i like Yagudin skating a lot, in my top 10 ever. But the most i read him and his interviews , the more i am set aback from him. Some people are really don't made to match their legacy in their profession also as a private person.

I have some other skaters, who i don't particularly enjoy without hating or skipping their programs on TV, but i think that is for everyone the case.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What about Sasha Cohen? It seems like she would be your cup of tea.

there are legends that should be respected regardless if you like them or not:
names we must give tribute for making an impact of the sport

Davis/White
Volosozhar / Trankov
Dorothy Hamil
the Propotovs
Brezhenya / Sikhuralidze
Mishkutenok / Dmitriev
Midori Ito
Evgeni Plushenko
Gorshkov / Pakhomova
Klimova / Ponomarenko

we now have special talented youngsters recently
Gracie Gold
Julia Lipnitskaya
Yuzuru Hanyu

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Jeremy Abbott
Sarah Hughes
Ryan Bradley

and the jury is still out on Gracie Gold, but she is a contender.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Currently competing:

MEN: Don't really watch enough to know.
WOMEN: Elena Glebova, Natalia Popova, JENNA MCKORKELL THANKG GOD SHE IS RETIRING, Kaetlyn Osmond, Gracie Gold, Mae Meite... doubtless others, this is just my list from those actually qualified for Olys...
DANCE: Boborova/Sloviev, Weaver/Poje (though did love their tango this year, and I do mean LOVE), Shibs, Coombs/Buckland, Paul/Islam, Reeds
PAIRS: V/T, Stolbova/Klimov, Duhamel/Radford, Wende/Wende, Kemp/King

gourry

Final Flight
Hmmm... I have quite number of skaters that I like and it's not necessarily because they are good competitors or elite skaters. Other than them, all the rest are not my cup of tea, so.... really can't list them all. Thus I find this thread title a bit odd.

ks777

Record Breaker
Men: Jason Brown( I don't get the hype), Kevin Reynolds(his low jumps, his hair, his bad SS, just everything about him, me no like)
Ladies: Akiko Suzuki(she has the fuguliest spins with ugly body lines), Murakami(ugly jumps with ugly posture), Yuna's feet.
Commentator: Kurt Browning(too bias), Scott Hamilton(annoying and also bias).
American speed skaters who blamed their uniforms on their bad performances.
Canadian luge team: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...ampered-luge-track-boost-medal-132959190.html

Robeye

Final Flight
B/c she's a racist and quite rude?
Gracie has flaws (as do we all), and the comments you referred to certainly highlighted some, but I really don't think racism is among them. I mean, her skating idol is an Asian, after all (which fact was known well before The Sandwich Incident).

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Robeye said:
Gracie has flaws (as do we all), and the comments you referred to certainly highlighted some, but I really don't think racism is among them. I mean, her skating idol is an Asian, after all (which fact was known well before The Sandwich Incident).

The sandwhich incident wasn't that bad (though certainly not good either), IMO. On the other hand, that time when she put on huge nerd glasses, put an oversized, bright pink bow into her hair, narrowed her eyes to slit eyes and put on a fake smile and a peace sign to call that her "Asian Face"... I'm not sure I'd flat out call it racist, but at least every asian person I know felt offended by that. I'm not going to call her a bad person or something, but it certainly made me like her less.

moviechick

On the Ice

Those aren't mutually exclusive.

fadeevfan

Rinkside
Sale/Pelettier
Sonja Henie
Patrick Chan
Katarina Witt
Savchenko / Szolkowy
Virtue/Moir
Osmond
Alexi Yagudin
Gordeeva/Grinkov
Elvis Stjoko
Scott Hamilton
Sarah Hughes
The Shibutanis
Emily Hughes
Torvil/Dean
Grishuk/Platov
Evan Lysacek
Wagner
Flatt
Zhang
Tuktamysheva
Pechalat/Bourzat
Duhamel/Radford
Shen/Zhao
Akiko Suzuki
Capellini/Lanotte
Weaver/Poje
Totmianina / Marinin
Bobrova / Soloviev

Hilariously over-the-top list -- I mean, come on! Esp. Sonja Henje. What, were you a big Fritzi Burger fan instead?

gourry

Final Flight
The sandwhich incident wasn't that bad (though certainly not good either), IMO. On the other hand, that time when she put on huge nerd glasses, put an oversized, bright pink bow into her hair, narrowed her eyes to slit eyes and put on a fake smile and a peace sign to call that her "Asian Face"... I'm not sure I'd flat out call it racist, but at least every asian person I know felt offended by that. I'm not going to call her a bad person or something, but it certainly made me like her less.

Yeah me too.
I don't want to believe she is a racist, but sure she is insensitive about things. And it's kind of sad to think that for her whole life there was nobody to teach her that's not good.:eek:hwell:

Robeye

Final Flight
Those aren't mutually exclusive.
Now you're getting too deep for me. How about the fact that she rooms with Maia Shibutani at the Olympic Village and clearly they get along famously? Is Gracie the second coming of Jennifer Lawrence, and Maia an imbecile such that she can't tell if her roomie really is an anti-Asian racist? Please.

moviechick

On the Ice
Now you're getting too deep for me. How about the fact that she rooms with Maia Shibutani at the Olympic Village and clearly they get along famously? Is Gracie the second coming of Jennifer Lawrence, and Maia an imbecile such that she can't tell if her roomie really is an anti-Asian racist? Please.

You're basically playing the "but some of my best friends are (insert race/sexuality)! " argument. Racism is not just about throwing the n word around or beating people up.

Seruleane

Final Flight

He/She means you can have asian friends, asian idols, and even think you respect asian culture but still do things that are considered racist or insensitive to that culture. And this can be true of any culture/race.

moviechick

On the Ice
He/She means you can have asian friends, asian idols, and even think you respect asian culture but still do things that are considered racist or insensitive to that culture. And this can be true of any culture/race.

Exactly, racism is not always intentional. Most of the time it does just come from a place of ignorance and not understanding that certain things are offensive, rather than an openly hateful Westboro Church type of way.

Status
Not open for further replies.