Skaters who landed a clean quad before 2000 | Golden Skate

Skaters who landed a clean quad before 2000

AxelLover

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
I'd like to have a complete list of all skaters who landed a clean quadruple jump in an ISU competition in the 20th century.
These are the ones I'm aware of:

Kurt Browning
Alexei Urmanov
Petr Barna (I'm not sure he landed a completely clean quad though)
Konstantin Kostin
Zhang Min
Guo Zhengxin
Elvis Stojko
Timothy Goebel
Ilia Kulik
Michael Weiss
Ilia Klimkin
Alexei Yagudin
Evgeni Plushenko

Who am I missing?

lesnar001

Record Breaker
"Jumping Joe" Joezef Sabovcik*

*quad toe loop at 1986 Europeans - 1st quad jump landed in competition, but invalidated a week later.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
"Jumping Joe" Joezef Sabovcik*

*quad toe loop at 1986 Europeans - 1st quad jump landed in competition, but invalidated a week later.

That's interesting! Why was it invalidated? And why did it take a whole week to do so?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Did Alexander Abt get one in before 2000?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=crdeP2oMqCE

Abt hadn't internationally by the end of Cup of Russia 1999, according to the commentary in the clip above. And didn't at the 1999 GPF SP. He was attempting them in both SP and LP, and landed it two footed, but it looks close to rotated at the GPF SP.

I could not find the LP from the GPF. Did he at Russian Nationals 1999? If he did, the event was complete by late Dec. 1999, he was third behind Yagudin and Plushenko, and he would just sneak in.

Michael Weiss did a quad at US Nationals in Nashville 1997, that looked good, but was judged two footed three hours later.
http://articles.latimes.com/1997-02-16/sports/sp-29460_1_quad-jump

Last edited:

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
I recall reading in The London Times at the St Ivel International in 1978, that the winner, Fumio Igarashi was attempting quadruple lutz jumps in practice. He had a fantastic triple lutz, so knowing that isn't altogether surprising.

Icey

Record Breaker
Ilia Klimkin 1999

Although she missed the century by a couple of years, Miki Ando had a quad ratified at the junior grand prix 2002-2003.