Skaters you just don't "get" | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Skaters you just don't "get"

Kateri

On the Ice
Believe me, I fully understand why certain skaters like Plushenko, Cohen and Kwan are among the best, and winning the medals.

But they don't (always) touch a chord in my heart the way they clearly do for many people. Other skaters do that for me.

That doesn't mean I think those other skaters should be winning the medals, however much I'd love it, I accept they are not as good. I just happen to like them better. I "get" them in a way I don't "get" others. That's ok, isn't it? I mean, it's not like I can help it!

Having said that, I'd *like* to learn to "get" other skaters, which is why I like reading this board - an interesting range of opinions.

kate.

lulu

Final Flight
Kateri said:
Believe me, I fully understand why certain skaters like Plushenko, Cohen and Kwan are among the best, and winning the medals.

But they don't (always) touch a chord in my heart the way they clearly do for many people. Other skaters do that for me.

ITA-This thread is not about recongizing the talent, hardwork, skills of the skaters. It is a subjective thread about why some skaters strike a cord with you.

sheilagh

Rinkside
Ho hum ......

There are a number of skaters I don't "get", but for quite a number of different reasons:

Tim Goebel .... great jumper (or at least used to be), but with abysmal posture and poor basic skating skills. Not pleasant to watch at all.

Emanual Sandhu ... enormous talent but undisciplined. Not willing to put in the work necessary to get to the top .... so why is he there?

Michelle Kwan Inc. .... maybe she is there because USFSA wants some return on their $800,000. annual investment. Can't think of any other reason

Jayson Denommee .... implodes year in, year out .... doesn't have the physical stamina to complete a long program. This guy must be a glutton for humiliation.

-- sheilagh

euterpe

Medalist
Sheilagh: "Michelle Kwan Inc. .... maybe she is there because USFSA wants some return on their $800,000. annual investment. Can't think of any other reason "

Maybe it's the 11 US and 9 World medals over an 11-year span that keeps her 'there'.

sheilagh

Rinkside
Just one small comment: it never ceases to amaze me that Kwan fans are so totally thin skinned where Ms. Kwan is concerned, but yet are so critical of others.
It seems anyone else if fair game, but not Kwan .... These rabid fans have even gone so far as to describe Ms. Kwan as "physically beautiful" ..... bow legs, mouth full of crooked teeth and large, bulbous probosis notwithstanding.

sheilagh

Rinkside
My only point here is that there are a disproportionate number of Kwan fans who will broach absolutely no criticism of the kween, but who will dish it out in spades about anyone else.

bronxgirl

Medalist
sheilagh said:
Just one small comment: it never ceases to amaze me that Kwan fans are so totally thin skinned where Ms. Kwan is concerned, but yet are so critical of others.
It seems anyone else if fair game, but not Kwan .... These rabid fans have even gone so far as to describe Ms. Kwan as "physically beautiful" ..... bow legs, mouth full of crooked teeth and large, bulbous probosis notwithstanding.

Ya think if people described Sasha in those terms (ie bow legs, etc.) they wouldn't defend their favorite skater?:\

euterpe

Medalist
Sheilagh: "My only point here is that there are a disproportionate number of Kwan fans who will broach absolutely no criticism of the kween, but who will dish it out in spades about anyone else.

...These rabid fans have even gone so far as to describe Ms. Kwan as "physically beautiful" ..... bow legs, mouth full of crooked teeth and large, bulbous probosis
/[sic] notwithstanding."

Dismissing Kwan's distinguished career as nothing, and then taking a cheap potshot at her appearance is not 'criticism' but bashing.

Last edited:

bestskate8

On the Ice
by SkateNow

Plushenko!!!......and that huge nose and hideous hair!!! Yuck!!!
:eek:

Do you really watch skating?:laugh:

Hate when people trash skaters like that :cry:

Absolutely agree with opinion "if people don't understand Plushenko, Cohen and Kwan "....don't see the point to argue with them.:D

Lucy25

Final Flight
peachstatesk8er said:
Your opinion. Some people might not "get" that either.
Not quite sure what there is to "get" about Michelle Kwan's successful record (which makes her a legend in figure skating). It has nothing to do with whether you get her skating or not.

Koroleva

On the Ice
Shen & Zhao
Pang & Tong
Chinese pairs in general. Not balletic ability, not crazy about the artistry (it's nice that S&Z have some), the throws where they jump with the women, their high splits (Wait they do not actually do the splits in the twists. Also if the girls were as heavy as the other pairs they would not go so high.)
Michelle Kwan
B&A (The choreo, edging and posture is just bad.)
Joannie Rochette
Miki Ando
Timothy Goebel
Brian Joubert ( I liked him when he was with his original female coach.)
Michael Weiss
Johnny Weir (needs better emotion and choreo)
Bourne & Kraatz
Emanuel Sandhu
Carolina Kostner (her ex at Worlds was alright)
Langlois & Archetto
Kevin VDP
Julia Sebestyen
Takeshi Honda
Fumie Suguri
Gordeeva & Grinkov (The choreo I thought was boring and horrible. I do like them though and some of their pro programs.)
Gregory and Pethukov (There is nothing original about them.)
Beatrisa Liang
Inoqe & Baldwin
Ryan Jahnke
Torvil & Dean
Amber Corwin
AP McD.
D&V
Josee Chouinard
Yags (His attitude ruins his skating for me.)
Yuka Sato
S&P (just don't see what all the hype is...)

I respect them for being skaters and their hard work I just don't get what people see in them.

Kateri

On the Ice
Koroleva: is there anyone left??;) Maybe it would have been quicker to say who you liked!

k.:)

tdnuva

On the Ice
There are many skaters which would fit in my list but for different reasons.... Some:

Often it's the missing or not very refined choreography. Or when I get the impression that every program of a skater is basically the same just to some different background music. Things like that annoy me and make it hard for me to enjoy a skate. (won't mention my examples cause it would hurt certain people here *g*)

Then there are skaters who always seem to struggle. Hard to call someone your favorite when you have to fear for him/her/them each time you see them skate. One example is Silvio Smalun.

And then there are skaters who are technically good, at least sometimes have interesting programs, but I kind of dislike personally, cause I might have saw or heard things I don't like, e.g. their behaviour towards helpers at a competition or when I see them acting strange against kids who want an autograph....

sheilagh said:
Emanual Sandhu ... enormous talent but undisciplined. Not willing to put in the work necessary to get to the top .... so why is he there?

Never would have though until 3 weeks ago, I'd be the one to defend Sandhu..... but I was at a gala in Germany including the practice session in the late afternoon and he was practising more than most of the other skaters, trying out jumps, going thru the routine and so on. And his performance was really good afterwards, he fell once, but I think it was a hole in the ice (just during stroking). After watching him there I think his problem are more the nerves than his efforts in training.

lavender

Record Breaker
I heard Eman has been practicing hard but I just think he's not a good competitor for the most part and that's all.

lavender

Record Breaker
SusanBeth said:
Frankly, in the last 2 years, I've started having difficulty understanding the raptures over Kwan. I know why she is good. I just think something is missing or I'm just not seeing it. I'm not ''getting'' her as I did before.

I understand this statement. I think it's her lack of detail choreography that's missing. I'm a big fan and will always be but I have to be honest and say that the excitement that I use to get when Michelle unveils a new program isn't there anymore. I didn't use to worry about that at all because I knew she would come out with something great. Now I worry a little bit. I worry even more now since I don't think she has that much input on the music or choreography.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Carolina Kostner. I think her Z part in her hair is too tight.

Dee

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
Lucy25 said:
Not quite sure what there is to "get" about Michelle Kwan's successful record (which makes her a legend in figure skating). It has nothing to do with whether you get her skating or not.
To some people a successful record alone doesn't make one a legend. Some people might argue that a person needs to contribute something to their sport, move the sport forward or in a different direction than it has ever been before, to be a legend. I'm not saying that's how *I* feel, but I can see how someone might not think Michelle Kwan is all that because she's gotten a bunch of medals.

I do agree with SusanBeth, there's something missing with Michelle that was there previously, before 2002. I know I haven't really liked any of her programs since she left Lori, so maybe that's it, but I'm not "getting" her like I did before either.

I really don't "get" Plushenko at all and I'm waiting for the moment when I do. I didn't "get" Yagudin at all until he lost weight and came in with those two awesome programs for 2002. That's when I finally "got" him. I'm hoping that happens with Plush as well. Right now I appreciate Plush's skating, but I don't "get" what's the big deal about him.

Lucy25

Final Flight
peachstatesk8er said:
[B
I really don't "get" Plushenko at all and I'm waiting for the moment when I do. I didn't "get" Yagudin at all until he lost weight and came in with those two awesome programs for 2002. That's when I finally "got" him. I'm hoping that happens with Plush as well. Right now I appreciate Plush's skating, but I don't "get" what's the big deal about him. [/B]
Have to agree with you there. I am waiting for the day when I can see beyond the jumps (which I find incredible). Is he more than jumps? This is a serious question. Is there more to him than jumps and fast, choppy (IMO) footwork? Then again, I may never "get him" and just have to accept it.