Skating anagrams | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skating anagrams

E

eltamina

Math professor beat a poet to be Mr. MK

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Still working[/quote]

No need to work any further. David Oistrkah was affectionately called the artist of the people. Sorry I have to change it to peoples artist.

Jascha Heifetz was born with the name lossif Robertovich. His parents changed lossif's name to Jascha Heifetz soon after he was born.

BTW, check out the write up about the video The Artist of the People.

www.amazon.com/exec/obido...ce&s=video

<span style="color:red;font-size:medium;">Congrats MM, you beat Freddy to be the Mr. MK 03, and 04, BTW, MK means Middle Kingodm?</span>

On second thought, please keep on working, as far as I know there is no biographies published on Oistrakh or Heifetz. The more you find out about them the better, you need to share the knowledge too!!!!

<span style="color:blue;font-size:small;">This is for Freddy, hey buddy why do you let MM beat you. I thought as a poet you would appreciate a nice story about Heifetz, Milstein, Oistrakh, Kogan, the kingdom of Ukraine, and the city of Odessa!!! </span>

M

mathman444

Re: Math professor beat a poet to be Mr. MK

Why did they name him Robertovich ("son of Robert"), when his dad's name was Ruben (or Ruvim)?

F

Freddy the Pig 2

Re: Math professor beat a poet to be Mr. MK

El, am I too late for the contest? Want to see me kick Mathman's butt? Watch this:

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"David Oistrakh, the PEOPLE'S ARTIST, born September 30, 1908, 99 years and 8 months after the death of Haydn on May 31, 1809. -- Mathman[/quote]

Hey Mathman, don't you mean 99 years and FOUR months? (You know, subtraction, that sort of thing.):rollin:

Want to see me kick it again?

Hey MM, give me an anagram for YUKA SATO.

Give up?

Question: What is the 19th letter of the Greek alphabet?

"Say Tau, OK?"

Freddy :p

E

eltamina

Back to a skater's name tangentially

Freddy why are you late? Where have you been, still in heaven after Michelle’s kiss? It is never late to solve more puzzles. How about solving this one together with Mm.

Solve the mystery of composers 1 & 2

Composer 1: initials are SB

Composer 2: to <strong>M</strong>ein <strong>G</strong>iant

Place: an idol Cage

Composer 1 was one year older than 2. He wrote this piece of music:
<strong>since a forum yell for schemes</strong>, in an idol <strong>C</strong>age, the birth place of composer 2.

Composer 2 was born in an idol <strong>C</strong>age . At the age of 7, under the guidance of his mother, he began to compose songs, and four years later he wrote the words and music of his first opera. In 1923 he began his formal musical training at the Verdi Conservatory in Milan. Following the death of his father, his mother took him to the United States, where he completed his formal music education.

to <strong>M</strong>ein <strong>G</strong>iant writes the text to all his operas, the original language being English in almost every case. He wrote the text for one of SB’s operas, for which SB won the Pulitzer. In addition to the numerous operatic works and, and songs cycles, to <strong>M</strong>ein <strong>G</strong>iant has enriched the world with ballets.

to <strong>M</strong>ein <strong>G</strong>iant received multiple awards including the Kennedy Center Honor for lifetime achievement in the arts, and "Musician of the Year" by Musical America.

Now onto the gossip side of 1&2:
They met in school, and fell instantly in love. They remained lovers for the longest time, eventually 2 left 1. Some people attributed SB’s lack of composition in his later years to their break up.

(Hint Freddy, since you love poetry and <strong>chelle</strong>, you should be able to solve <strong>since a forum yell for schemes</strong>. If you have problems with this puzzle, ask MM to lend you his latest cd acquisition, then listen carefully and read the liner notes)

MM, be nice to Freddy, share the joy of music.

Back to a skating tangentially, and the name of the skater is?

BTW, MM thanks for this thread, and letting me hi jack it to non skating territory, it has been fun. :) I promise no more hi jack here, so the good folks of GS will play the skating anagram w/o any more intrusion from me.:rollin:

M

mathman444

Re: Back to a skater's name tangentially

I'll get back to you in a minute, Eltmina. But first, some unfinished business.<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"Hey MM, give me an anagram for YUKA SATO."[/quote]What is a small commuter airplane called?

<strong>A SKY AUTO</strong>

I went to the Himalayan Mountains and I caught a Yak. I figured that an American zoo would be a good home for it, so I shipped the

<strong>YAK TO USA</strong>

I met the famous artist Toulouse Lautrec. We became such good friends that he invited me to call him by his nickname. He was Toulouse,

<strong>AKA "TOUSY"</strong>

O.J. Simpson's pal Kato Kaelin moved to Australia. Ever afterward he was know as

<strong>AUSY KATO</strong>

Luka Brazi came from the old country to take charge of the Detroit mob. He suspected Mr. T. of doublecrossing the "family." When Brazi interrogated him, Mr. T. said, "Hey, go ask Michael Corleone." Brazi said, "I

<strong>ASK-A YOU, T.</strong>"

My pet is a razor-billed auk (a sea bird). I thought that my bird was a male. But one day I came home and saw that it had laid some eggs, sat on the nest, and the eggs had hatched!

<strong>OY! AUK SAT</strong>

The crowded nightclub was so noisy that we had to shout to get the attention of the waitress. To show that she had heard our order she mouthed a big

<strong>OKAY AT US</strong>

When I broke up with my French girl friend Katherine she made quite a scene. But I played it tough and simply said, "Frankly, I don't give

<strong>A SOU, KATY</strong> (A sou is a small French coin worth less than a penny.)

To raise money for their treatment centers Alcoholics Anonymous opened a toy store in London. You can write to it at the following address:

<strong>AA TOYS, U.K.</strong>

A "suk" (also spelled "souk") is a marketplace. The Firth of Tay is an inlet on the coast of Scotland.

In Scotland, a group of Taoists (pronounced "Dow-ists) established their own martketplace to sell herbs and incenses. I asked a local man if he knew the way to the place. He answered cordially, "The

<strong>TAU SUK? AY.</strong>

It's not in town, it's down at the firth.
Ay, it's

<strong>A TAY SOUK</strong>, Laddie."

Mathman, Emperor of the Middle Kingdom :p

M

mathman444

:rollin:

Samuel Barber wrote Music from a Scene from Shelley (Prometheus Unbound). Would this make good skating music?

His friend, Gian Carlo Menotti, was born in Cadegliano in 1911.

:rollin:

Mathman

E

eltamina

Freddy there is a chance for you to kick MM's butt here.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Samuel Barber wrote Music <strong>from</strong> a Scene from Shelley [/quote]

Freddy look carefully, it is not quite right.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>His <strong>friend</strong>, Gian Carlo Menotti, was born in Cadegliano in 1911.[/quote]

I guess friend is the official line. ;) Menotti is still alve at 102? Will we see him on the today show with Willard Scott? Gian Menotti was born almost 100 years after the birth of Liszt.

<span style="color:red;font-size:medium;">Carmina banana: a medieval musical plantain</span>

F

Freddy the Pig 2

Hi El,

Well, it's scarcely worth the effort to correct <strong>from</strong> to <strong>for</strong> a Scene from Shelley. Especially since <strong>someone</strong> (I won't mention names) keeps zapping my posts, so the few that get through, I have to make them count.

Gian Carlo Menotti will be 92 in July. He was born 100 years 3 months and 15 days after the birth of Frantz Liszt (b. October 22, 1811). Let's see, that would make Menotti's birthday -- can it be? -- <strong>July 7</strong>. He shares a birthday with Michelle Kwan (69 years apart)!

Here is the current horoscope for someone born July 7 in the Year of the Monkey, month of the Cat (according to astrologer Pamela Leigh Powers):

"Michelle was born on July 7, 1980, in Torrance, California. She has a Cancer sun (conjunct Mercury) and a Taurus moon. The Sun and Mercury together signifies someone who is more cerebral, and may give that Cancer sun sign a a run for its money. Mercury, of course, is an air planet, and a Cancerian sun is very sensitive and emotional. She probably has times when she's cooly objective, and others when she's emotionally subjective.

"Michelle's birthdate adds up to 1994, i.e., 7+7+1980 = 1994; that was a pivotal year for her; something occurred that changed her life. This year, 7+7+2002 adds to 2016. She will see what she commenced in 2002, expressed in 2016. 2+0+1+6 adds up to 9. This is a Hermit year in the Tarot; it is a time to work on past karma and clean up one's act, more or less, in order to get ready for a new cycle. Next year will be a #10 Wheel of Fortune year, where things will go more her way - too bad the Olympics weren't in 2003 instead of 2002.

"Michelle was born in the Year of the Monkey and the month of the Cat. The Monkey energy is strong; it is willful. There's no "may the best woman win". She wanted to win, and win it all. And she would have moved heaven and earth in order to accomplish it. While the Cancer nature is more soft and pliable, born in the Year of the Monkey, she has a resolve that won't be deterred.

"Born in the month of the Cat, which correlates to Cancer in my estimation, Michelle can have self esteem issues, no matter how hard everyone tells her differently. She can also feel guilt around things. She tends to the Cat's workaholic stance in order to overcompensate. She needs to know she is "Sacred Space" and God could not totally exist unless she was here."

Well, I never knew a cat who had self esteem issues, nor one that was a workaholic. But I am thankful that Michelle, aka "Sacred Space," has all that Monkey Energy. (God is thankful, too.)

Freddy ;)

E

eltamina

From andante online: Keonid Kogan

Of course they mentioned Oistrakh and Milstein too.

cd review

www.andante.com/article/a...m?id=19412

'Leonid Kogan in Paris'
Robert Layton

Beethoven: Violin Concerto in D, Op. 6. Mozart: Violin Concerto No. 5 in A, K. 219, "Turkish." Etc.
Leonid Kogan (violin); Paris Conservatoire Orchestra.

Leonid Kogan in Paris Historic

Beethoven Violin Concerto in D, Op. 61a. Mozart Violin Concerto No. 5 in A, K219, 'Turkish'b.

Leonid Kogan (violin); Paris Conservatoire Orchestra/André Vandernoot.

Testament mono SBT1228 (full price, 1 hour 13 minutes, ADD). From aXLX648-9 (previously unpublished), bTrianon TRX6132. Producer Norbert Gamsohn. Engineer Paul Vavasseur. Remastering Engineer Paul Baily. Dates aJune 13th, a14th, b29th and b30th,1957.

Bar Code:046772252

Brahms Violin Concerto in D, Op. 77a. Mendelssohn Violin Concerto No. 1 in E minor, Op. 64b.

Leonid Kogan (violin); Paris Conservatoire Orchestra/aCharles Bruck, bConstantin Silvestri.

Testament amono/bstereo SBT1225 (full price, 1 hour 6 minutes, ADD). From aColumbia 33CX1506, bSA2392. Producers aRené Challan, bNorbert Gamsohn. Engineers aWalter Ruhlmann, bRoger Ducourtieux. Remastering Engineer Paul Baily. Dates aMarch 5th and 6th, 1955, bNovember 19th, 1961.

Bar Code:40677262

Lalo Symphonie espagnole, Op. 21. Paganini Violin Concerto No. 1 in D, Op. 6.

Leonid Kogan (violin); Paris Conservatoire Orchestra/Charles Bruck.

Testament mono SBT1226 (full price, 1 hour 9 minutes, ADD). From Columbia 33C1059 and 33CX1562. Producer René Challan. Engineer Walter Ruhlmann. Remastering Engineer Paul Baily. Dates February 21st-23rd, 1955.

Comparisons:
Beethoven/Brahms/Lalo:
Kogan, Philh/Kondrashin, Paris Conservatoire Orch/Silvestri
(EMI) CZS7 67732-2 (1956, two discs)
Beethoven:
Milstein, Pittsburgh SO/Steinberg (EMI) CDM5 67583-2 (1955)
D. Oistrakh, FRNO/Cluytens (Testament) SAX2315 (1958, LP)

The last significant reminder of Leonid Kogan's artistry was a two-CD set in EMI's 'Artist Profile' series released in 1993 and principally comprising the Brahms, Tchaikovsky and Beethoven Concertos with Kyrill Kondrashin and Constantin Silvestri, though he was also represented in some subsequent (and, come to that, far from insignificant) Revelation and Olympia issues. The present discs offer an important addition to his relatively meagre representation in the current catalogue. His artistry was of a perfection and classical purity that silenced criticism.

His mono account of the Beethoven Concerto comes from 1957 and, like the Mozart A major Concerto with which it is coupled, never appeared in Britain at the time. The Mozart was issued in France but the Beethoven fell victim to the advent of stereo, and although it was passed for release, when Kogan re-recorded it in stereo with Silvestri two years later, it was withheld. It now surfaces for the first time 45 years later -- and 20 years after Kogan's premature death. (Had he lived he would now only have been in his late seventies.) Testament has put us in its debt by issuing it now, for it is a reading of the greatest distinction and even those who have treasured the later performance should investigate it. There is a purity and nobility here (as, of course, there is in the Silvestri recording) yet it seems to me slightly freer in feeling with a more improvisatory quality. Tully Potter's informative insert notes speak of it as 'one of the glories of its era' and there is a spirituality that you find in the greatest performances of the day: the David Oistrakh/André Cluytens version restored some years ago on a Testament LP, and the glorious Nathan Milstein/Pittsburgh version from 1955) -- but few others since!

Kogan's Brahms Concerto, recorded in 1955 with Charles Bruck conducting, was released early in 1958 but again was soon displaced by the set he made with the Philharmonia under Kondrashin only a year later. Kogan brought a magisterial Classicism to this concerto and an affecting ardour. The Philharmonia give him much finer support than do the Paris Conservatoire Orchestra, but this earlier account is still a performance of eloquence and effortless technical command. There is a natural dignity of utterance that is rarely encountered nowadays.

In the hands of the flashy present-day teenage whizz-kids the Lalo Symphonie espagnole can sound an empty circus piece but Kogan, with his impeccable taste, elevates it to something out of the ordinary, as he does Paganini's First Violin Concerto. His range of colour and imagination in matters of phrasing make the Lalo a joy. Kogan was one of the great aristocrats of the bow, and his artistry was served by flawless technique and impeccable musical judgement. Paul Baily's splendid transfers have brought us as close to the actual 1950s sound of the Salle de la Mutualité or the Salle Wagram as we are ever likely to get.