Skating boot comparisons | Golden Skate

Skating boot comparisons

flyinghigh010

Spectator
Hi everyone,
I wanted to try starting a different kind of thread, where everyone can post their favourite things about their own boots and what made you choose them. I think it would be interesting to find out what everyone is skating in, and maybe even hear each others' discoveries/woes that we can take to our own skate fitters to help them fit us better!
Suggested format could be:
Bio: Adult beginner, age 26, learning singles
Skates: Edea Chorus with JW Coronation Ace blades
Favourite things: memory foam means no more painful ankle bones (malleoli) and fit my D-shaped foot like a glove
I got arch pain with every boot I've tried, but Superfeet insoles helped and I also got less soreness as my feet got stronger.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Bio: Professional/former Elite Competitior.
Skates: Jackson Custom (based on Supreme 5500) for singles boots, also wear Risport Royal Prime(I alternate, long story) those are paired with P99 blades. I also wear Risport Dance Prime paired with MK Dance blades.
I've been through or tested just about every boot/blade in my career and trial and error lets me know what I like and have stuck with for years.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Bio: Adult skater, age 35, learning singles
Skates: Jackson Debut (older model with leather/cork sole) with MK Professional K-Pick blades
Favorite things: They're a good fit for my wide forefoot, and I like the sueded look of the microfiber outer. For the blades - going to an intermediate-level blade with a more pronounced spin rocker was good for my turns and spins. And I got a great deal on them since K-Pick blades have been discontinued for a few years now! :)

Vicki7

On the Ice
Jackson Debut boots, Ultima Legacy 7 blades.

The boots are great for my wide feet, and supportive enough to correct my pronation. I wasn’t able to get this pair heat moulded so the break in has been a real pain but I’m finally almost there 9 months in.

The blades I also really like. I switched from Coronation Ace and I like the more aggressive picks. In an ideal world I want the profile of the Coronation Ace with the toe picks of the Legacy 7s. I’ve had to work to get my spins back to where they were but toe jumps feel a lot more secure for me.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Bio: Competitive figure skater working on high doubles/triples (long story)

Skates: Risport Royal Prime w/ Gold Seals

What I like: I love that the Primes are lower cut so when I'm skating with my team that's more ice dance oriented I don't stick out as much as the couple girls with higher cut boots. I like that they have 5 hooks so I only have to tie 4 of them for almost full support. They also don't injure my ankles the way Edeas did. As for the blades, I love how they don't completely shatter the ice when I pick. I also like how they put my weight further back on the blade. I know some people don't like that about them but I love it.

What I don't like: Increased bruising with toe jumps compared to my Edea Pianos (was expected, it's just a teensy bit annoying) and more roughing up of my feet in general due to increased mobility. There's more rubbing on the back of my achilles because there's more movement there. Just extra incentive to make sure I'm keeping up with ice foot baths. As for the blades I hate that I can't rotate over the toe pick.

desertskates

Medalist
Adult skater, 46, USFSA Silver free skate with singles through lutz.
Boots: Customized Harlick Competitor plus
Blades: MK Vision

What I love: Everything. I know there are newer, lighter things out there with easier ordering processes and less break in time. But the leather on these has broken in to the same level of comfort I have from any good pair of shoes. And they'll last me forever! I'm old school because I'm old :biggrin:

Dislike: The fact that these blades are now discontinued. When the time comes, I'll probably have a bit of trouble getting used to something else.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Adult skater, 46, USFSA Silver free skate with singles through lutz.
Boots: Customized Harlick Competitor plus
Blades: MK Vision

What I love: Everything. I know there are never, lighter things out there with easier ordering processes and less break in time. But the leather on these has broken in to the same level of comfort I have from any good pair of shoes. And they'll last me forever! I'm old school because I'm old :biggrin:

Dislike: The fact that these blades are now discontinued. When the time comes, I'll probably have a bit of trouble getting used to something else.
I used to use those blades! Try MK Phantom or JW Pattern 99's (the classic ones) when you need new blades. ;)

MiraiFan

Final Flight
Adult skater, 49, USFS Silver MIF, Bronze free skate with singles (except lutz).
Boots: Edea Chorus (switched from Riedell Motion, which I liked but found very difficult to break in)
Blades: Jackson Ultima Elite

What I love: I was skeptical about Edeas since they were really huge at my rink a few years ago but I loved them after trying them--way less stiff but I feel well supported; the fitter ordered the Ultimate elite blade--he thought it would be a good fit for my height and weight. No regrets.

Dislike: not really dislike, but I needed to get more supportive, high arch insoles since the Edea ones are totally useless. (I wear the CCM ones but will switch to Superfeet with my next skates).

swansongs

Spectator
17 y/o skater, singles (minus lutz and axel on ice)
boots: Risport RF3
blades: JW Coronation Ace

what I like: I skated on Jackson Excels for far too long, and these are my first level-appropriate boots, so I think that no matter what, they'd feel pretty good. I really like how the boots feel like an extension of my foot when they're properly laced (I haven't fully broken them in yet, so I still tend to lace them too loosely so they don't hurt my ankle bones) and my feet stay warm in them even when I'm skating outdoors or in an unusually cold rink. I love the rocker on the blades, it's so nice to finally find that "sweet spot" on spins after struggling with the flat rocker on my Jacksons. I also feel far more comfortable on edges than I ever did with my Jacksons, so I'm hitting deeper edges and I have much more control.

dislike: I think this is more related to not breaking in my skates yet than anything (I've only had them since late December), but they're either too loose or they're tight enough for great support but hurt my ankles. I didn't originally buy Bunga pads but I may do that if this doesn't improve soon, since the sore ankles are a bit distracting especially during jumps. also I have blisters on the sides of my fingers from the laces rubbing hard when I lace them up T-T

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
17 y/o skater, singles (minus lutz and axel on ice)
boots: Risport RF3
blades: JW Coronation Ace

what I like: I skated on Jackson Excels for far too long, and these are my first level-appropriate boots, so I think that no matter what, they'd feel pretty good. I really like how the boots feel like an extension of my foot when they're properly laced (I haven't fully broken them in yet, so I still tend to lace them too loosely so they don't hurt my ankle bones) and my feet stay warm in them even when I'm skating outdoors or in an unusually cold rink. I love the rocker on the blades, it's so nice to finally find that "sweet spot" on spins after struggling with the flat rocker on my Jacksons. I also feel far more comfortable on edges than I ever did with my Jacksons, so I'm hitting deeper edges and I have much more control.

dislike: I think this is more related to not breaking in my skates yet than anything (I've only had them since late December), but they're either too loose or they're tight enough for great support but hurt my ankles. I didn't originally buy Bunga pads but I may do that if this doesn't improve soon, since the sore ankles are a bit distracting especially during jumps. also I have blisters on the sides of my fingers from the laces rubbing hard when I lace them up T-T
Bungas and have the ankles punched out. Also, tie your boots a bit tighter and only leave top unlaced.