Skating channels? | Golden Skate

Skating channels?

scs

Rinkside
I'm hoping to watch more live/slightly delayed skating this season via the internet and am looking for recommendations of sites that are accessible in Canada. Information about costs would be appreciated too. Many thanks in advance!

jcoates

Medalist
Eurosport Player is a good option that I started using last season. http://www.eurosportplayer.co.uk/

It's available to use through a VPN (virtual private network), a legal way of changing your IP . Hola Unblocker is the free VPN that I use. It's available as an extension for Firefox and Chrome.

After installing you can access the Eurosport Player by opening a new tab in your browser and then clicking on the Hola icon. You'll see a field asking you to enter a website address. Type or paste the Eurosport player address into the field. Click Enter. It will change your the IP address in your browser to a UK address only for that tab and load the website. Any other tab will still use your regular (Canadian in your case) IP address. After you access the site, you will need to create a subscription account (either monthly charges of 3.99 (12 month plan) or 5.99 (monthly, recurring) in british pounds). That's it. I was able to watch their Worlds coverage as well as the spring clay court season for tennis using it. It also works well on slower internet connections (like mine).

Hope this helps.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Eurosport Player is a good option that I started using last season. http://www.eurosportplayer.co.uk/

It's available to use through a VPN (virtual private network), a legal way of changing your IP . Hola Unblocker is the free VPN that I use. It's available as an extension for Firefox and Chrome.

After installing you can access the Eurosport Player by opening a new tab in your browser and then clicking on the Hola icon. You'll see a field asking you to enter a website address. Type or paste the Eurosport player address into the field. Click Enter. It will change your the IP address in your browser to a UK address only for that tab and load the website. Any other tab will still use your regular (Canadian in your case) IP address. After you access the site, you will need to create a subscription account (either monthly charges of 3.99 (12 month plan) or 5.99 (monthly, recurring) in british pounds). That's it. I was able to watch their Worlds coverage as well as the spring clay court season for tennis using it. It also works well on slower internet connections (like mine).

Hope this helps.

*takes notes*

Hola Unblocker, you say? It would also change an Australian IP to an American one, yes?

jace93

On the Ice

Hope this helps.

Wow thank you sso much =) for me is working greatly =)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*gasps*

I just tried it on NBC's Olympic site (woe! where did their winter olympic site go?). I could watch video! I think it worked!

I might finally, finally, get more than just US Nationals from my icenetwork subscription this year!

Meoima

Match Penalty
I use puffin browser on Ipad I and can access many sites which are often geoblock. I guess it's not illegal. :p

jcoates

Medalist
Icey, perhaps I overstated the legality. Depending on what country you live in, it can be a grey area. However, here is another link addressing the question in Australia and overall.

http://www.netflixaustralianow.com.au/netflix/is-watching-netflix-in-australia-via-a-vpn-legal/

People also legitimately use VPNs to either mask or change their IP address as an added security measure in this incresingly crazy digital world. They are being recommended more and more often as each data breach happens.

It is true that Australian broadcasters are not fans of VPN usage, mainly because Netflix and other streaming services are not directly available there. They want to control the public's access to content for a variety of reasons. But in a global world people know what is available and aren't willing to wait for it or be deprived. People also travel overseas frequently now and wish to still be able to access content from their home countries. So some people use VPNs to watch Netflix and other streaming. Plenty of Americans do the same thing to watch Downton Abbey via BBC rather than wait for months for it to broadcast here, all the while desperately avoiding spoilers.

Still, what is worse... watching paid content using a VPN, watching near real time ripped uploads to youtube or picking up a pirated live stream from a foreign broadcaster on some sketchy website that bombards us with pop up ads and/or spyware? When peope share a login for Netfix, etc. the provider is actually not being paid to access their content by each indiviual. Only the account holder is paying.

Forbes also covered this in the lead up to Sochi. http://www.forbes.com/sites/amadoud...atch-the-sochi-olympics-without-a-cable-bill/

The VPN I mentioned above will not work with Safari, but one like Tunnelbear (also mentioned in the Forbes article) is available for Mac and PC.

TMC

Record Breaker

Hope this helps.

Thank you SO SO much!!!!

Working beautifully for me. I had Eurosport Player already. I just installed the Hola extension (Firefox) and opened the Player in a new tab. Clicked on the extension, chose "Britain", logged in the Player and lo and behold, it stayed in .co.uk! Love the British commentators :love:

I'm so happy :)

I'm wondering if I should get Icenetwork now as well, if this works with it? It's geoblocked for me now. Karne, did you get yours to work?

I already had Unblock US, which we use to unblock various Netflixes, but it didn't work when I tried to watch the NBC Oly videos :(

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm wondering if I should get Icenetwork now as well, if this works with it? It's geoblocked for me now. Karne, did you get yours to work?

I haven't tried IceNetwork with it yet, I'm waiting for the Classic this week, and I'll try then. I really hope it does.

TMC

Record Breaker
I haven't tried IceNetwork with it yet, I'm waiting for the Classic this week, and I'll try then. I really hope it does.

Ahhhhhhh Max is skating there isn't he? If this does work, just seeing his new programs alone would totally be worth the year's subscription :love:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ahhhhhhh Max is skating there isn't he? If this does work, just seeing his new programs alone would totally be worth the year's subscription :love:

Yes! I will get to see Gladiator on my birthday, if it works. :love: