Skating in the 1970's | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skating in the 1970's

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
David Santee... he was like Shaun Cassidy, Jimmy McNichol, and Scott Baio all rolled into one... and he skated too!
But now I'm racking my memory trying to remember what was the event and the Kiss'n'Cry interview he did when he later became a commentator, where he made some horrible gaffe. There was a cartoon the next day in the newspapers showing the back of him whipping off to do the interview and an aide running after him calling, "David, wait, you forgot your brain!" :laugh: (I'm sure he'd prefer that no one remembered it all these decades later, whatever it was that he said.)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I missed this video when it was first posted. When I was in my early teens, before I got into pairs, my singles coach had a copy of this film (from a pre-TV news reel, I think) and made her girl pupils learn the program as a sort of "moves in the field" exercise. It has all the basic small jumps later used as inbetween moves, and Tenley's edge control makes the footwork look so light and easy! The hardest move was the back shoot-the-duck up into a back spiral, all on one foot. I'd hate to admit the number of times I ended up sitting on the ice trying to do that. Killed the thigh muscle and wobbled, caught the heel of the blade on the ice as it passed through, pitched forward on the picks as the free leg swung up into the spiral....I'd mercifully forgotten all that until I saw this again.o_O:dbana:
I can't say I have done any of this, but I have sat in her seat at SCOB. Well, actually the Performance Center is named after her and then she has a seat within it. A very good seat it is, too.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This thread is an absolute delight! Thank you to all contributors! I was not alive in the 70s, but it is a LOVELY time in skating when people had more TIME to be artistic in competitive programs (not that they all were, but the opportunity was there for skaters who were so inclined).

@el henry, I can't remember if Andrew T. has listed Toller among skaters he admires, but when I saw the way Toller moved his head and body in this video, I instantly thought of Andrew T. The commitment to movement and the musicality reminded me of Andrew. If only Andrew didn't have to do the requirements of today's programs, he might look like this. (I am well aware that Toller was a trailblazer for skaters who came after and that, before him, no one skated like this. Without Toller, who knows if there would be a Jason or an Andrew T.) It is interesting when you think of current skaters when watching past skaters. It's rare and a HUGE compliment to said current skaters.

Has anyone mentioned John Curry yet? I LOVE his Don Quixote and his Nocturne.
(I posted 2 Don Quixotes because one has Dick Button commentary and one has no commentary. And the camera angles are different in each. I can't decide if I prefer hearing Dick commentating or no commentary. Gosh, I miss Dick's excitement).

I prefer Uncle Dick:)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This thread is an absolute delight! Thank you to all contributors! I was not alive in the 70s, but it is a LOVELY time in skating when people had more TIME to be artistic in competitive programs (not that they all were, but the opportunity was there for skaters who were so inclined).

@el henry, I can't remember if Andrew T. has listed Toller among skaters he admires, but when I saw the way Toller moved his head and body in this video, I instantly thought of Andrew T. The commitment to movement and the musicality reminded me of Andrew. If only Andrew didn't have to do the requirements of today's programs, he might look like this. (I am well aware that Toller was a trailblazer for skaters who came after and that, before him, no one skated like this. Without Toller, who knows if there would be a Jason or an Andrew T.) It is interesting when you think of current skaters when watching past skaters. It's rare and a HUGE compliment to said current skaters.

Has anyone mentioned John Curry yet? I LOVE his Don Quixote and his Nocturne.
(I posted 2 Don Quixotes because one has Dick Button commentary and one has no commentary. And the camera angles are different in each. I can't decide if I prefer hearing Dick commentating or no commentary. Gosh, I miss Dick's excitement).

WARNING

Don't get me and @el henry going on about John Curry and Toller Cranston... or Andrew Torgashev either.

It will be the threadjack to end all threadjacks.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How can we talk about skating in the 1970's without talking about Dorothy Hamill

Doris, I don't know if you've seen it or not, but TSL interviewed Dorothy Hamill a few weeks ago. Over an hour of a one-on-one.

I know some may not enjoy the weekly chat show, and that's fine, but Dave Lease has done some great interviews with skating personalities, and this one in particular is worth the time. Stories of her early days in group lessons, Gus Lussi and Carlo Fassi, training with John Curry... it's a gold mine.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But now I'm racking my memory trying to remember what was the event and the Kiss'n'Cry interview he did when he later became a commentator, where he made some horrible gaffe. There was a cartoon the next day in the newspapers showing the back of him whipping off to do the interview and an aide running after him calling, "David, wait, you forgot your brain!" :laugh: (I'm sure he'd prefer that no one remembered it all these decades later, whatever it was that he said.)
Poor David. He was still pretty new as an interviewer in the kiss and cry and he had to tell Brian Orser he finished second again this time to Boitano in the Olympics. Orser literally had seconds to process the loss. Someone to Brian‘s right told him the news and he mouthed second. I always wondered what the control room was thinking or if Santee acted on his own speaking bluntly in the way you rip off a bandaid when you know it’s gonna hurt no matter what you do. Many fans were very unhappy with David and he did not last long as a kiss and cry interviewer. I’d provide a link, but they all seem to be missing not even blocked for some reason.

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Poor David. He was still pretty new as an interviewer in the kiss and cry and he had to tell Brian Orser he finished second again this time to Boitano in the Olympics. Orser literally had seconds to process the loss. Someone to Brian‘s right told him the news and he mouthed second. I always wondered what the control room was thinking or if Santee acted on his own speaking bluntly in the way you rip off a bandaid when you know it’s gonna hurt no matter what you do. Many fans were very unhappy with David and he did not last long as a kiss and cry interviewer. I’d provide a link, but they all seem to be missing not even blocked for some reason.
Now I remember. I was pretty sure it was the Olympics, and should have guessed the 1988 Games, being not long after David had retired and was the kind of recent skater they'd hire for a broadcast team. But I didn't remember it was Brian Orser, or what David had said to him. At the time, I just figured the hyped-up occasion made him nervous and that was the first thing he blurted out without thinking.:drama:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I remember my father sitting me down in front of the television and saying, "Now THIS is ice skating done properly..." It was Min and Mo. And whilst I learned figures and free skating with all the other kids, it was ice dance that really captured my heart; a love affair that was cemented by Torvill and Dean.

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
A gaffe? Naw, David was perfectly awesome at all times and I'm sticking to that. :)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember Judy and Jim, a graceful example of skating at the time (despite the music cuts they needed to endure).

I had forgotten (if I ever knew) that Ron Ludington was their coach. Luddy coached pairs and dance? Those were the days. :)

Last edited:

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Doris, I don't know if you've seen it or not, but TSL interviewed Dorothy Hamill a few weeks ago. Over an hour of a one-on-one.

I know some may not enjoy the weekly chat show, and that's fine, but Dave Lease has done some great interviews with skating personalities, and this one in particular is worth the time. Stories of her early days in group lessons, Gus Lussi and Carlo Fassi, training with John Curry... it's a gold mine.
I follow TSL, I watched that interview. I was surprised that Dorothy seemed often dissatisfied with some of her competitive results. Then, later on, when talking about skating with John Curry's company, she gushed about him and said that her skills REALLY improved during that time. And you know what? I watched her Nationals (75 or 76 can't remember), then watched one of her show performances from the 80s, and she wasn't exaggerating. Her skills were NOTICEABLY better later on.

Dave asked a couple of times about Carlo and Dorothy sort of glossed over it, but Carlo was not known for being the coach that would help you with your jumps if you were having problems. Or your spins (that was Gus Lussi's arena). Carlo was the coach with the political pull, I remember it well.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I follow TSL, I watched that interview. I was surprised that Dorothy seemed often dissatisfied with some of her competitive results. Then, later on, when talking about skating with John Curry's company, she gushed about him and said that her skills REALLY improved during that time. And you know what? I watched her Nationals (75 or 76 can't remember), then watched one of her show performances from the 80s, and she wasn't exaggerating. Her skills were NOTICEABLY better later on.

Dave asked a couple of times about Carlo and Dorothy sort of glossed over it, but Carlo was not known for being the coach that would help you with your jumps if you were having problems. Or your spins (that was Gus Lussi's arena). Carlo was the coach with the political pull, I remember it well.

Dorothy praising Toller, and Janet Lynn, and John Curry, was one of the highlights for me. (thank you @TontoK for recommending the interview)

I didn't think that Dorothy glossed over Carlo at all :scratch2: Figures, figures, figures. Anyone who could make practicing figures interesting had a special gift. He could also predict the future. I stumbled across this interview where Carlo said this in 1987:

''If we cancel figures, it will be like gymnastics, with young girls who can do all the jumps at age 13 and quit at age 15,'' said Carlo Fassi, who coached four Olympic gold medalists.

''I don`t like gymnastics any more,'' he said. ''It`s little muppets just tumbling around. Where is the beauty of that?''

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
WARNING

Don't get me and @el henry going on about John Curry and Toller Cranston... or Andrew Torgashev either.

It will be the threadjack to end all threadjacks.
There was not room for both of them to win gold medals at the same competitions, but there is room for both of them in skating history and in our hearts. I brought up John because people had started naming skaters, and he definitely belongs in this thread, along with Toller. I did, however, think of both you and @el henry after I posted about him. :laugh: No debate needed (in this thread, anyway).

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Speaking of skaters who belong in this thread: The one, the only, Janet Lynn! (Side note: Only YESTERDAY when looking her up on Wikipedia did I realize that Lynn was/is not her last name but rather her middle name. I NEVER knew that. :palmf:)

"Afternoon of a Faun" performed in 1983, with Peggy Fleming commentating

Beautiful Fluff aired during Nagano 1998 about "the fall/smile" and its aftermath

One Legend Talking about Another (this is John Curry in rapture over Janet Lynn's skating)

Last edited:

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Wow, my previous post has a lot of links. I needed to fix a couple of links and remove a duplicate paragraph, so if you looked at it already, look again, please. "Afternoon of a Faun" (1983) and "John Curry" are there properly now.

The '70s were when the short program was a novelty and the free skate was still free. Now one program is simply a shorter version of the other, in singles skating. The short program was not instituted for Janet, but it was expected she'd do well. But at 1973 Worlds (the first year of the SP) she fell on two axels. She roared back in the FS to get silver, though, with her ever-present smile.

Trixi Schuba was to figures what Janet Lynn was to free skating. Trixi Schuba won gold in 1972, although Janet Lynn won peoples' hearts.

Last edited:

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I have a couple of last points.

This was broadcast in the 1980s, but it has '70s skaters all over it. The "Snow Queen" ice ballet, with John Curry as one of the choreographers. The cast list reads like a "Who's who" of this era: Janet Lynn, John Curry, Sandra Bezic, JoJo Starbuck Dorothy Hamill, Toller Cranston

YouTube is a literal GOLD MINE of '70s skating. In particular, check out a channel called "floskate," which has rarely seen footage of several skaters. The clip of John Curry commentating Janet Lynn came from a 5-episode series called "Curry on Ice" in which John Curry gives skaters of various abilities tutorials and demonstrations. If you want to see the basics of good skating, watch it.

It should be obvious to anyone who's reading my posts in this thread that I've gone down a rabbit hole over the last 3 days into '70s skating. Doing this has made me sad that CURRENT skating is so hard to find, in comparison. There was less coverage overall in the '70s-'90s, but much of what there was is still on YouTube (I hope that it all stays up there forever). In other words, there's more old skating accessible on YouTube than current skating. There weren't full streams back then like we have now, and yet the full streams still aren't fully available on YouTube. So, it's like we're back in the VCR days, except we use MP4 files to keep programs now. Anyway, I'm getting off my soapbox now. :laugh:

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I still want to know about the head of USFS going to confront the judge over his score. Was this common??? I sure can't imagine it happening today.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm sure that Tai Babilonia & Randy Gardner would love the reminisces and 70s skating personalities in this thread. In U.S. pairs skating, Tai & Randy defined the 70s era. They grew up together before our eyes. 😍

^^ Presentation scores should def have been higher!

I wish one of today's pairs teams would bring back the cartwheel lift and pull Arabians -- also the lunge into a throw that Calla Urbanski and Rocky Marval used to perform.

-their program follows the fluff feature-

Altho' Urbanski/ Marval skated in the late 80s to early 90s, they are very memorable too. They were a powerful, inventive team, skating at older ages in a different era. I love their pendulum lift, and the famous lunge into a throw 2-axel.
Also, one of the lift dismounts in which they both end in a low position with one knee on the ice, is rather cool. 😎 Today's pairs could learn by looking back!