'Skating Through Time' DVDs QQs | Golden Skate

'Skating Through Time' DVDs QQs

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Does anyone on this forum have the three-DVD set of great performances from past US Nationals? I was very excited when it was announced in an ad during the ABC Campbell's telecast. Then, when I went to order it, I saw that it is produced by the same company that gave us the disappointing 2-DVD set of Olympic performances a couple of years ago.

My two questions, to avoid that disappointment:

* Are all of the promised 'performances' complete, or --like the Olympics set -- are there four or five complete performances and lots of snippets of others? I especially hope that the Peggy Fleming 1968 and Janet Lynn 1970 performances are 100percent complete. I don't need yet another 30-second clip of either one, a-la 'Magic Memories on Ice, pt. I' video.

* Is the DVD indexed with chapters or -- like the Olympic set -- does it run, sans chapters, like a VHS tape (which is a pain in the butt)?

Hopefully, the producers have learned from the errors in the Olympics set of DVDs.

sk8rmom97

Rinkside
I have a free one I got from going to Campbells, and the performances are separated. They are the complete performances. It has 10 of the ones that are on the set.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Thanks for the feedback, sk8ermom. That's promising. If anyone could report on the Fleming & Lynn programs (whether or not those two in particular are complete), that would be super. :thumbsup:

Thanks again!

Bijoux

Match Penalty
I wondered same thing -

if they were worth it or not. Thanks for asking question.:)

treeskater

Rinkside
Only 10 complete performances on 3 DVDs!? That's only 40 minutes plus/minus. What do they fill the remainder with? How long does each DVD play? Does it say on the DVD who they have doing their full program?

mememe

On the Ice
On FSU, ahaspicy reports that the performances on the three DVDs are these:

Volume 1
Peggy Fleming - 1968
Brian Boitano - 1988
Blumberg & Seibert - 1982
Michelle Kwan - 2001
Todd Eldredge - 2002
Nicole Bobek - 1995
Babilonia & Gardner - 1979
Kristi Yamaguchi - 1992
Belbin & Agosto - 2005
Debi Thomas - 1988
Rudy Galindo - 1996

Volume 2
Scott Hamilton - 1984
Tara Lipinski - 1997
Yamaguchi & Galindo - 1989
Jill Trenary - 1990
Johnny Weir - 2004
Elaine Zayak - 1994
O'Connor & Millns - 1976
Michelle Kwan - 1998
Kitty & Peter Carruthers - 1980
Paul Wylie - 1990
Janet Lynn - 1970

Volume 3
Dorothy Hamill - 1976
Wynne & Druar - 1990
John Misha Petkevich - 1971
Tonya Harding - 1991
Starbuck & Shelley - 1972
Brian Boitano - 1994
Sasha Cohen - 2000
Meno & Sand - 1995
Scott Hamilton - 1982
Punsalan & Swallow - 1991
Michelle Kwan - 2004

I'm wondering if this is just the long programs, or SP and LP from each skater/year listed. I'd love to have both SP and LP, although it would be worth it just to have all these LPs.

CDMM1991

Medalist
Wow! That looks like a great collection! Do you know if it will be available in stores? Or just by order:scratch:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
That does sound like a great collection (lol...suddenly I feel like I am part of an info-mercial cast). But, seriously, I would also love to see some of those performances. I didn't start watching skating until 93-94, so there is so much I haven't seen. Please, anyone that gets these let us know how they are.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Sorry to have to *bump* this up but I'm still waiting for an answer to my last question:

Are the 1968 Peggy Fleming and 1970 Janet Lynn performances complete 4-plus minute programs?

(In those days, the singles skated only one program, after compulsory figures. No SPs. So Fleming's & Lynn's performances can only be the LPs.)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
my guess is YES... try emailing the people on their website they will be more than willing to answer...

sk8rmom97

Rinkside
I doubt it is short and long. On the sample DVD I got, some were short and some were long. Neither Peggy or Janet were on there, though, so I can't help you there.

Jhar55

Medalist
thanks for the infomation on the Skating DVD's after seeing them advertised I was also thinking about getting them. The line up of skaters look great with 11 programs per DVD sound like a good buy. If I remember right the price would equal out to about $10 per DVD that's still cheaper than some movies. :thumbsup:

tripleflutz

On the Ice
I bought these three DVDs last month. They are fully corrected and the quality is very good, much better than the Olympic set, which I wasn't that happy with. I'm very pleased with this new "US Nats thru-time" set. If you want these disks, go ahead and buy them, don't be afraid, they're just fine.

mememe

On the Ice
tripleflutz said:
I bought these three DVDs last month. They are fully corrected and the quality is very good, much better than the Olympic set, which I wasn't that happy with. I'm very pleased with this new "US Nats thru-time" set. If you want these disks, go ahead and buy them, don't be afraid, they're just fine.

Thanks for the info. Would it be possible for you to tell us which programs are on the DVDs? Are they long or short programs or both for each skater? And regardless of whether they're long or short, are the programs shown in full with the proper music? I am intrigured by this set and would like to get one if I knew a bit more about what's included.

Eeyora

Final Flight
tripleflutz said:

That's good I didn't really care for the Olympic set especially with the narrarator who was unable to pronounce names and all the wrong historical information.

Last edited:

Spirit

On the Ice
Eeyora said:
That's good I didn't really care for the Olympic set especially with the narrorator who was unable to pronounce names and all the wrong historical information.

That Olympic set was a DVD abomination. The narrator talked over the performances, some of them were incomplete, and -- worst, worst, worst of all -- there were no chapter separations. Wanna watch the Torville & Dean historic Bolero? Gotta fast forward to the end like a VHS. I. Kid. You. Not.

It was so poorly done it was stunning.

Spirit

On the Ice
tripleflutz said:
Thanks for the info, tf.

I'm on the verge of ordering these myself, but I'd like to know if they separated the performances into chapters which can be selected from a menu.

Thanks bunches.

floskate

On the Ice
I have these DVD's. All the performances are complete and they are chaptered. Each program has a small intro before it starts from Peggy or Dick.

Some performances are SP's......such as:

Brian Boitano 1988 Vol1
Michelle Kwan 2001 Vol1
Sasha Cohen 2000 Vol3

Most of us have many of these performances already. It was clever marketing to spread the oldies over the 3 DVD's, but for me at any rate, the price of these DVD's was worth it for Janet Lynn and John Misha Petkevich alone. Lynns performance is sooo stunning. And to finally finally see Peggy's 1968 LP complete was a real treat.

Thoroughly recommended!! :love: