So now what happens to Michael Weiss? | Golden Skate

So now what happens to Michael Weiss?

S

SkateFan4Life

Michael Weiss failed to qualify for the Olympic team, although he did finish fourth and is the first alternate.

I know that I've written some critical posts on Michael's skating over the years, and my opinion was reinforced yesterday with his performance in the long program. Michael has a lot of talent, no doubt about that, but at the age of 29 he is still trying to figure out the mechanics of landing his jumps. When he skates, he has a sort of dazed expression on his face, as though he's skating in a trance. His best efforts still far short of the mark, and yesterday's free skate told the story. And when asked what happened, he always replies with "I don't know".

Enough is enough, already.

Kasey

Medalist
If he doesn't know, he doesn't know. Things happen. What do you want him to do, lie to people? Make excuses? Kudos to Mike for being honest enough to say "Beats me".

IF he chooses to retire, I hope that SOI invites him on, as he can be a great crowd pleaser when the pressure is off.

And it's not like his free skate was a total meltdown, like some of the ladies. The point difference between him and Matt for third was mighty close.

S

SkateFan4Life

Kasey said:
If he doesn't know, he doesn't know. Things happen. What do you want him to do, lie to people? Make excuses? Kudos to Mike for being honest enough to say "Beats me".

IF he chooses to retire, I hope that SOI invites him on, as he can be a great crowd pleaser when the pressure is off.

And it's not like his free skate was a total meltdown, like some of the ladies. The point difference between him and Matt for third was mighty close.

True, the point difference between Matt and Michael was very small. It was a close battle for the bronze medal.

As for his replies, I just think that someone with Michael's years of experience would be able to analyze and determine the cause of most of his errors on the ice - poor takeoff, tilted rotation, missed landing, hitting a rut in the ice (yes, that can happen), timing, etc., etc. A lot of things can occur that can cause an otherwise excellent jump or spin to go awry. Yes, these things happen in a blink of an eye, and sometimes it might be hard to deduct exactly what happened. But, if the same thing occurs repeatedly, there's an explanation out there. Just my own opinion, of course.

I'm watching the televised exhibition, and Michael was very gracious when he spoke with Katarina and Kurt before taking to the ice to skate his routine. He said, (to paraphrase), "Sure, I'm disappointed that I did not qualify for my third Olympic team. But I've loved my skating career, and I would not change anything about it. I have a wonderful wife and two healthy kids. I have nothing to complain about."

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Kudos to Michael Weiss, one of my favorite male skaters for many years.....He has three National titles, numerous Grand Prix medals, two World medals and has been an Olympian twice.......nothing to sneeze about. I will miss his skating during Nationals and the Grand Prix circuit but hope he gets picked up by SOI....if he does then I'm there.............42

Last edited:

76olympics

On the Ice
Mike was never my favorite; but he behaved in such a classy fashion today that I hope that a SOI contract is in his mailbox soon. I think he really does love skating and that he will bloom without the worry of competition. Plus-his benefit to help financially strapped skaters is a really nice idea.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mike was our guest "star" in SOI at our local shows last season. He performed very well and was warmly received. I would be pleased to see him join the tour. We were fortunate to attend his foundation show in September, and admire his efforts to support young skaters. :agree: :clap:

Mike is not a favorite of mine, but I definitely prefer to see him skating in shows than competing. I enjoyed him in SOI last year much more than I ever enjoyed any competition skate I've seen him do over the years. Maybe he's one of those skaters who will indeed shine in the professional vein of skating.

76olympics said:
Mike was never my favorite; but he behaved in such a classy fashion today that I hope that a SOI contract is in his mailbox soon. I think he really does love skating and that he will bloom without the worry of competition. Plus-his benefit to help financially strapped skaters is a really nice idea.
:rock:

Michael is a good figure skater and a class act. Has he ever complained about not placing in a competition? How many skaters do?

Joe

Vash01

Medalist
Michael is not my favorite skater, but he delivered two solid performances at these nationals. It took a great peformance by Matt Savoie to keep him off his 3rd Olympic berth. He has two world bronze medals, 2 (or 3?) US nationals titles, and he has nothing to be ashamed of. IMO he will be a good addition to SOI. Kurt is getting old, Todd is married, and who knows how long these two want to be skating with SOI. Steven Cousins was never at the same level as world medalists, although I always enjoyed his skating with SOI shows. Weiss will be a good addition to the group.

If one of the top 3 US medalists choose not to go to worlds this year, he could go to worlds again this year.

Vash

S

SkateFan4Life

Vash01 said:
Michael is not my favorite skater, but he delivered two solid performances at these nationals. It took a great peformance by Matt Savoie to keep him off his 3rd Olympic berth. He has two world bronze medals, 2 (or 3?) US nationals titles, and he has nothing to be ashamed of. IMO he will be a good addition to SOI. Kurt is getting old, Todd is married, and who knows how long these two want to be skating with SOI. Steven Cousins was never at the same level as world medalists, although I always enjoyed his skating with SOI shows. Weiss will be a good addition to the group.

If one of the top 3 US medalists choose not to go to worlds this year, he could go to worlds again this year.

Vash

I think Michael would be a very good addition to SOI, but that might be difficult with a wife and two kids. My impression of Michael is that he's a guy who likes to stay close to hearth and home, and life as a SOI regular means a steady succession of weeks away from home. He's not a young single guy who can spend six months living out of a suitcase and traveling from city to city. Maybe he will do a series of guest appearances and his family will join him on the road.

In any case, I was impressed with his acceptance of his fourth placement at Nationals. He showed a lot of class and good sportsmanship.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
My impression of Michael is that he's a guy who likes to stay close to hearth and home, and life as a SOI regular means a steady succession of weeks away from home. He's not a young single guy who can spend six months living out of a suitcase and traveling from city to city. Maybe he will do a series of guest appearances and his family will join him on the road.

Good point, SkateFan, but what's he going to do to earn a living? Skating shows, I'm guessing, is a nice piece of change..............42

guinevere

Final Flight
To me, Michael has been skating like a show skater, rather than a competitior, since about 2001. This season he had some very Olympic programs but I feel it was a bit too late to come back to form. I think he would do well on tours, as he is immensely entertaining, and his gymnastic abilities certainly bring something new to the ice. But SkateFan4Life's comments about Weiss maybe not wanting to be on tour all the time made me think about other options for Weiss.

I love Mikey's foundation and the support he gives to up and coming skaters. I don't see Weiss in a coaching role, but if he wanted to increase the profile and/or funding for skaters he could totally do it full time. He's got the right credentials (lots of international medals, but no world or Oly titles), he's got the history of supporting young skaters, he's certainly charismatic enough. I could see him revitalizing the pro circuit with actual competitions or new tours, the way that Dick Button and Scott Hamilton have done.

I don't think Michael is ready to hang up his skates (I hope not), but I see lots of way in which he could impact the sport in very positive ways.

[/career counseling]

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
merrywidow said:
My guess is he will rejoin SOI.

YEAY! I hope so... he's good friends with Todd, and for all of his nitpicking Scott has always had a soft spot for him. Scott was talking with Don A LOT last week and I can only imagine some of the things they talked about...

as for him having an awful LP... I don't think so. He freaking popped a triple axel, and it cost him 3rd

Considering what happened in Portland it was a huge feat and if he'd fallen or landed that stupid jump the judges would have given the spot to him (we were sitting in the judges section and we were talking with some of them after the event)

Mike is a beautifully talented skater. He's also extremely gracious in person... yeah he's had his snarky comments, but so have a lot of other US male skaters... so big whoop.

Mike should be proud of that awesome SP he had, as well as a fairly decent LP. Let's leave the overdramatics of "disappointment" (read disgust by all accounts) to ice dance where being overdramatic is the norm. :sheesh:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
My first repsonse to the thread title was, "He'll have a long and successful professional career and/or be well respected whatever he ends up doing." It could very well have been Mike going to Torino - one more fall from Savoie and it would have been all over - and that would have been okay by me.
And that opinion surprised me, because I've always felt like I wanted to like Mike's skating more than I actually did. That's mostly because of his choreography, but who can fault a guy for wanting to work with his wife?
There's so much to respect about Weiss, and most of it has been mentioned here already. I wish him all the best in whatever he decides to do, but I sure hope he stays in the skating community. It needs him.
So I'm going to take this last opportunity to applaud an amateur Michael Weiss:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
xoxo
Rave

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I agree that Michael Weiss's Oly-eligible career is worthy of applause. I also liked his sense of priorities -- his family is fine, so he has nothing to complain about. Is SOI using guest stars this season, or might it be doing so next season? If so, Mike could skate "part time" with SOI, and still have plenty of time with his family.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
It is refreshing to me reading all these kind and supportive remarks about Michael Weiss. He has, over the years, been criticized a lot..............42

ceg15

On the Ice
I feel bad for him that he didn't make the olympic team. but i really feel that his time has been up for awhile...i do admire him for keeping going though...