So what happened with Jeff? | Golden Skate

So what happened with Jeff?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I read on TSN that he had a problem part way through his long program. What a shame. I am still looking forward to seeing him at Canadians.

Saundy

On the Ice
His problem was with his pants and leg. He cut right through his pants and appeared to be wiping blood off his thigh in the kiss and cry. So it appeared that he had cut his leg. His pants ripped wide open in the groin area...I felt sooo bad for him. It was not his night...

rain

Record Breaker
Yeah, Jeff had rather a hard time of it in the free, what with the costume problem and all.
But his short program is great! It's to a jazz number that's really fun and quirky and he can totally pull it off. I look forward to seeing his long again at a future date when it's a little less of a struggle.

Saundy

On the Ice
I missed his short program because I was flying in from Halifax and I was too tired to stay up and watch it when it came on TV late that night. I was extremely disappointed...:frown:

emma

Record Breaker
I guess the problems started with his failed quad toe...I can't help but wonder if he should just forgot the quad.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Saundy said:
I missed his short program because I was flying in from Halifax and I was too tired to stay up and watch it when it came on TV late that night. I was extremely disappointed...:frown:

Saundy - you can download the video here: http://fsvids.9.forumer.com/
you have to be a member. I love this site - I would have missed most of the GP series so far without it :clap:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
If he had left out the quad, he probably would have cruised and won the event, Sandhu was too far behind after the short. However if he wants to be a serious contender for the Olympics he needs to start trying the quad in competition now to increase his chances of landing it later in the year.

It was just one of those nights for Jeff. everyone (not only Canadians) were feeling for him. He has an incredible program. Wagner is not easy to skate to. It's heavy drama and only the best should even consider it. That David Wilson is genious. It could be that Jeff had trouble with it and it may have to be tuned down a bit. But if he hits, the PCS scores will go off the boards!

Everyone was happy for E-man. He got the quad in and absolutely no mistakes.

While I can believe Johnny had a sprained ankle, he didn't have it in the short which was nothing to write home about either. I think he should put more time in his practice and less in his memoirs.

The kid to watch - Sean Sawyer. Nothing short of WOW.

I'm still waiting to see a good Griazev. He's using standard Carmen and standard toreador program. Nothing special except the quad if he hits it.

Joe

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
It was just one of those nights for Jeff. everyone (not only Canadians) were feeling for him. He has an incredible program. Wagner is not easy to skate to. It's heavy drama and only the best should even consider it. That David Wilson is genious. It could be that Jeff had trouble with it and it may have to be tuned down a bit. But if he hits, the PCS scores will go off the boards!

Everyone was happy for E-man. He got the quad in and absolutely no mistakes.

While I can believe Johnny had a sprained ankle, he didn't have it in the short which was nothing to write home about either. I think he should put more time in his practice and less in his memoirs.

The kid to watch - Sean Sawyer. Nothing short of WOW.

I'm still waiting to see a good Griazev. He's using standard Carmen and standard toreador program. Nothing special except the quad if he hits it.

Joe

Thanks for the comments; Buttle and his program really are amazing...and I was happy for Eman too (but I couldn't help cursing a bit about his short program); BUT my question is: you didn't like Weir's short? I mean I know he fell on the triple axel...but other than that...??? I mean, he did place second in the short and all...love to hear your thoughts.

rain

Record Breaker
emma said:
Thanks for the comments; Buttle and his program really are amazing...and I was happy for Eman too (but I couldn't help cursing a bit about his short program); BUT my question is: you didn't like Weir's short? I mean I know he fell on the triple axel...but other than that...??? I mean, he did place second in the short and all...love to hear your thoughts.

I know your question wasn't addressed to me, but thought I'd pipe up anyway. No Weir didn't have it in the short. It wasn't a total disaster like the long, but he looked slow, cautious and like he was thinking his way through it. His usually exemplary presentation skills were almost entirely absent, IMO. The commentators on Canadian TV mentioned that he'd been tweaking it right up to the last moment to try to squeeze more points out of it, so that may have been the reason. Whatever it was, even before he injured himself, he didn't look ready for the event.

rain said:
I know your question wasn't addressed to me, but thought I'd pipe up anyway. No Weir didn't have it in the short. It wasn't a total disaster like the long, but he looked slow, cautious and like he was thinking his way through it. His usually exemplary presentation skills were almost entirely absent, IMO. The commentators on Canadian TV mentioned that he'd been tweaking it right up to the last moment to try to squeeze more points out of it, so that may have been the reason. Whatever it was, even before he injured himself, he didn't look ready for the event.
Emma - Rain is correct. when watching skating LIVE, the sense of a whole arena is before you. The TV shows the skater as the camera follows him. It doesn't get caught up in the audience emotions which the live skate does. Johnny's SP was not up to par and you could feel that throughout the audience as well.
So much for a bad hair day but in this case, it knocked him out of the GPF.

Joe

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks rain and Joe....imo, it really is too bad that Weir wasn't quite ready for this season...I do hope he kicks serious butt at Cup of Russia if only to get his confidence back (or to assure it is still there, whatever may be the case), and of course, so I can continue to gush endelessly about him :love:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks Joe And Rain...

I really like reading all commentary from people who see the event live. Like Emma, I'm :cool: for Johnny. I hope he pulls it together in time for the Grand Season Finale. And ITA Joe, that I think now might be a good time for Johnny to *talk* less and skate more.

DG

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Johnny is beginning to get a bigger reputation as "The Whiner" than just "The Skater."

I am old enough to remember (in the early 1980s) when Gary Beacom was the consumate King of the Whiners about the ISU, the Canadian federations, judging, etc, etc. Where did all of that whining get him? I'll let someone else answer the question.

Now all we need in my country (the USA) is an American Gary Beacom, King fo the Whiners. Johnny "The Whiner" Weir.

p.s. Odd how some of the more original & creative spirits (in all walks of life, not just skating) are among the biggest whiners. It gets tiresome, after a while. :disapp:

Frau Muller said:
Odd how some of the more original & creative spirits (in all walks of life, not just skating) are among the biggest whiners. It gets tiresome, after a while.
It must be from frustration. There you are, a great artist, ahead of your time, etc., etc. (Toller Cranston, for instance). And all those Philistines out there are just too coarse to appreciate it!

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
It must be from frustration. There you are, a great artist, ahead of your time, etc., etc. (Toller Cranston, for instance). And all those Philistines out there are just too coarse to appreciate it!
I think the problem is that apart from John Curry's shows and Tarasova's now defunct Ice Theater, it's extremely to do truly artistic programs. There have been exceptions, like Buttle's programs from the last two seasons, but the demands for bigger jumps and longer preparations in the LP for eligible competition make it impossible to do a Curry-like artistic program or even a Hamilll-like or Lynn-like eligible program. Even in the shows, the musical choices to appeal to the greater audience are mostly lame and that includes most of the new Russian shows, too. In the video of the Lobacheva/Averbukh show, it's the same for crap music with lyrics in another language.

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I thought this topic was concerned with Jeff B., I see it has digressed onto a topic about Johnny Weir.....hmm............please people stick to the subject. Johnny Weir can have his own thread!!!!

:frown2:

Kasey

Medalist
What happened to Jeff B, from being there and also listening to a Canadian coach the next day, is that he was held up badly for a program that was more rough than the marks would tell you. Yes, he is artistic, not to my taste, but whatever. Yes he has good basic skating skills. But even before the pant-ripping fall, his program was "off", and it wasn't reflected adequately. He had the two falls, errors on two or three other jumps, error on a spin, and his PCS marks were still better than Sandhu's? That just seemed wrong, based on both their performances that night. My podium would have been Sandhu, Oda and Honda, with Buttle fourth. Not that anyone is asking me! :)

Last edited:

Kasey

Medalist
Joesitz said:

Joe

I think 'good Griazev" showed up at Cup of China...yes, still Carmen-ized for SP, but more energy and "oomph", and the LP will be really lovely when he's totally on with the jumps....a really beautiful improvement from Canada. He is developing nice flow with his upper body and arms...I hope they will develop that soft side more next season.