Sofia Val & Asaf Kazimov | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Sofia Val & Asaf Kazimov

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Spanish Championships Senior Free Dance: Results; Protocols
Spanish Championships Senior Ice Dance: Results

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONhht7177_s

Sofía and Asaf finished 2nd out of 3 in the FD, with a score of 108.08. This meant that they remained in 2nd position overall, with a score of 178.79.

Here is what I wrote in the competition thread at the time:

That was magical. I was mesmerised.

I couldn't write anything during it. Not that there was anything to point out. It looked flawless.

Sofía looked to be spinning faster than Asaf in the Twizzles. But, I think it was an illusion, because they didn't seem to go out of sync.

I haven't seen Olivia and Tim's Free yet, but it is going to have to be very good to be better than that.

Yep both Sara and Kirill with them.

:cheer: WELL DONE SOFÍA AND ASAF!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

So that everything is on the table, here is what I wrote about Olivia and Tim's Free Dance in the competition thread:

Ach, when I heard "Also Sprach Zarathustra" at the start, I thought we would be getting a full "2001" programme, or at least a full sci-fi programme. But, alas.

After the epic music at the start, the rest of the music used was a big let down.

Honestly, I didn't really like that programme. And that is not me being biased because they are up against a partnership that I have adopted. It just didn't do anything for me.

They skated well. But, it just wasn't my sort of programme.

Now for the moment of truth.

Tim doesn't look very happy waiting for the results. Olivia is more animated.

The livescoring page is taking forever to load. Come on, I want to know who won!

CaroLiza_fan

Unfortunately, the Entries / Results page has been playing up since Sunday morning. It tries for ages to load, and then times out. So, we didn't actually know the results after Olivia and Tim skated until somebody saw it later on in an Instagram post that the Fed had put up.

Sofía and Asaf finished the Free Dance 3.86 points behind 1st position, Olivia Sophie SMART / Tim DIECK (CAT), and 25.73 points ahead of 3rd position, Philomene SABOURIN / Raul BERMEJO GUTIERREZ (MAD).

Overall, Sofía and Asaf finished 6.19 points behind 1st position, Smart / Dieck, and 40.33 points ahead of 3rd position, Sabourin / Bermejo.

Our resident video archive compiler was the first to reply after we were told the results, and said:

I did get to see the SD rewind and I think Sofia & Asaf were better, but I have no idea how either team scored. Olivia & Tim don't seem to improved much at all and his mistake on the twizzles was costly. They seem to have stalled and I say this as one of the fans who really thought this should be a lot of fun.

The problems with the Entries / Results page also means that I can't actually analyse the Protocols in this post, because I can't get into them! There was one brief moment on Sunday when I was able to get them opened, and I wrote a brief summary. I wish now that I had written more, but the event was still ongoing.

Can't say I'm surprised that Olivia and Tim won. It was obvious yesterday that they were the "chosen" ones.

Skating Scores doesn't have the Protocols for the Free up yet, but I managed to get them opened during a brief moment that the Entries / Results page was working.

Here are the two sets of Protocols:

Short Dance - https://www.rfedh.es/wp-content/upl...------QUAL000100--_JudgesDetailsperSkater.pdf
Free Dance - https://www.rfedh.es/wp-content/upl...------FNL-000100--_JudgesDetailsperSkater.pdf

The Protocols from both segments are so similar:

• Sofía and Asaf clean in both programmes; Olivia and Tim with Twizzle issues in both programmes.
  • Sofía and Asaf higher TES in both programmes; Olivia and Tim higher PCS in both programmes.
  • Sofía and Asaf lower Judges marks than Olivia and Tim in both programmes.

For me, the partnership that did better in both their programmes did not win.

Oh, I hate the way Ice Dance is so full of politics.

CaroLiza_fan

This was the general feeling amongst those of us that were watching. After I posted that, the archiver replied:

I am with you on this one. It does not seem correct and I say this as a fan of both teams.

The conversation between us then went on, but since it was mostly about Olivia and Tim, I will not copy it in here.

One of the Dutch members also replied with the following:

Thanks for the FD protocols (and the RD, but at that moment in time the results page was working). I saw both couples this afternoon (and the third, but they were way behind) and I must say that I also thought Sophía and Asaf should have got the win. And I'm a fan of Olivia's.

If anybody wants to read the whole discussion about the Ice Dance showdown in the competition thread, it starts here and continues onto most of the following page (with interruptions about the Junior Singles skaters).

It is not often that the results of a competition leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but this one did. I feel sorry for both partnerships. Sofía and Asaf for not winning when they were better in both segments. And Olivia and Tim for not being allowed to show what they were capable of on their own terms.

We were all looking forward to what was gearing up to be an exciting tight battle between the two partnerships. But, because of unfair scoring, we were robbed of what would have been an epic showdown.

They may not have won the title, but Sofía and Asaf did everything they could in their attempts to do so. The fact that they got absolute Personal Best scores in both segments and overall is evidence of that.

:cheer: WELL DONE!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
They got selected for Euros!

Better than that:

THEY'VE BEEN SELECTED TO GO TO THE SENIOR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS TOO!!!

:cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points: :hb:

(I hadn't actually read the Twitter post - I just copied the link over from @Dreamer57's post in the Europeans Entries thread. So I didn't know until I went into the Worlds Entries thread).

The Fed has REALLY compensated for the controversial result.

(To be honest, given how well matched the two partnerships were all season, I think it would have been fairer if they had been given one assignment each).

CaroLiza_fan

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
Guys, great news after the controversy of the weekend.

SOFÍA AND ASAF HAVE BEEN SELECTED TO GO TO THE EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!

https://twitter.com/fedhielo/status/1736824063262085183

Justice has been served.

CaroLiza_fan
Quick post: I have just seen the news, I've read it in Hielo Español but what they said is that Sofia&Asaf will go to Europeans and Worlds.
I don´t understand the reason and it looks like, in Hielo Español, they don´t understand it either.
Maybe tonight we will have more info.

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
Still don't know what's going on.
I'm really happy for Sofia & Asaf, but this is a bitter-sweet victory, with a lot of people arguing about what team should participate in international competitions. That's a pression they shoudn't have on their shoulders.
The solomonic rule one competition for each team was pretty good, someone in Spanish FED should explain why they have changed it.
It looks like this is not over...

teainamug

Rinkside
I am sure that with Sara’s experience snd guidance they will navigate any negative energy going their way.
In my opinion they achieved the criteria and deserve to be going to these two competitions.
There. Is a lot of talk about splitting the competitions which would give two spots at Europeans next year if S/D have a clean skate but this team improve every outing so do they not have just a good chance of achieving this. They will also get an opportunity to experience a big competition prior to worlds which will be important to their performance there.
I wish them the best of luck and hope that everyone gives them a break and trusts their federations judgement.

Last edited:

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Still don't know what's going on.
I'm really happy for Sofia & Asaf, but this is a bitter-sweet victory, with a lot of people arguing about what team should participate in international competitions. That's a pression they shoudn't have on their shoulders.
The solomonic rule one competition for each team was pretty good, someone in Spanish FED should explain why they have changed it.
It looks like this is not over...

It's really not unheard of for sporting federations to change selection criteria though.
I'd have thought that it was more unusual for it never to change.

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
It's really not unheard of for sporting federations to change selection criteria though.
I'd have thought that it was more unusual for it never to change.
Everyone can change, good point. And I'm sure there's a reason for this change, I'm saying that I'd love to know it.
When a FED (the Spanish one in this case) have an opinion, they make a selection criteria with it. I'm not a FED, I'm just a fan and, when I have an opinion, I post it. :shrug:

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
This is one of those ugly things to say... but I knew it!

Nah, it's not ugly. In fact, I think it will work out better for Sofía and Asaf in the long run.

The Fed have made a wise decision to protect a young team from potential hostility that they could have faced in Montréal from the supporters of the home partnership of Smart / Dieck.

Plus, with both partnerships getting assignments to Majors, it will enable everybody to properly assess where each partnership are at. Because I am sure that most of the people that were arguing so vehemently against Sofía and Asaf getting selected haven't actually seen them, and don't realise that they are as good as they are.

But, oh how I wish the Spanish Fed had been wise enough to split the assignments from the start. Because by doing what they did, they have polarised the fans, and turned what was a positive situation with two promising new partnerships, into a really bitter and horrible atmosphere.

I hope the Fed are pleased with themselves!

CaroLiza_fan

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
Because I am sure that most of the people that were arguing so vehemently against Sofía and Asaf getting selected haven't actually seen them, and don't realise that they are as good as they are.
Well, now all of those people know that the team Sofía/Asaf exists and that they have potential... at least all this mess was good for something. :D
Because by doing what they did, they have polarised the fans, and turned what was a positive situation with two promising new partnerships, into a really bitter and horrible atmosphere.
I wouldn´t go that far. Both teams know that they are competing against each other and their competition will continue even if, in the future, they get 2 spots at Euros and Worlds. That's the nature of any sportive career, in any country.

I'm happy with Spanish FED decision and I hope that both teams are happy too.

Sofia and Asaf, the world will be curious about you, that's a lot of (mostly good) energy pointing at you. Good luck at Euros!!

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I wouldn´t go that far. Both teams know that they are competing against each other and their competition will continue even if, in the future, they get 2 spots at Euros and Worlds. That's the nature of any sportive career, in any country.

Oh, don't worry, it wasn't the skaters I was talking about. They have a healthy sporting rivalry.

It was the keyboard warriors that I was talking about. They blew it all out of all proportion, and it got quite nasty. Thankfully it stayed civilised here. But it didn't elsewhere.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
After making their Senior World Championships debut last season, it is time for Sofía and Asaf to make their European Championships debut in Kaunas, Lithuania.

The Senior Short Dance is due to start at 12:00:00 EET (10:00:00 GMT / 11:00:00 CET / 13:00:00 MSK). So 4 hours from now.

Sofía and Asaf will be the 8th partnership to start. So, fourth and last partnership in Group 2.

The Group 2 Warm-Up is due to start at 12:45:05 EET (10:45:05 GMT / 11:45:05 CET / 13:45:05 MSK). So 4h 45m from now.

Sofía and Asaf are due to start at 13:10:50 EET (11:10:50 GMT / 12:10:50 CET / 14:10:50 MSK). So 5h 10m from now.

But, those times may change if somebody that is due on before them withdraws.

More information in the event forum:
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/forums/933

Hope this helps

:cheer: ALL THE BEST!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
European Championships Senior Short Dance: Results; Protocols

No video uploaded yet 😞

Sofía and Asaf finished 23rd out of 33 in the Short Dance, with a score of 58.04.

Here is what I wrote in the competition thread about the Warm-Up:

My kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boys but they looked so in the zone doing a section of the programme when the rinkside announcer was talking about them. It was as if they were doing the programme for real!

They didn't actually show much of them for the rest of the Warm-Up. Well, apart from a shot of Sofía on her own just before the announcer told everybody that the Warm-Up was over. Looking as stunning as ever!

It's a shame we didn't see more of them, but it'll be worth the wait to see the programme. Those of you that haven't seen it before are in for a treat!

CaroLiza_fan

Here is what I wrote in the competition thread as they were being introduced:

I had a panic before the Polish partnership when I heard the rinkside announcer say the name "Sofia".

But now, it is actually time for my kids.

:cheer: ALL THE BEST SOFÍA AND ASAF!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

And here is what I wrote about their programme:

Ach, such a good start and then a mistake at the end of the twizzles.

And another mistake on the Midline Step Sequence.

Rest of it was brilliant.

I know it was only a couple of mistakes, but this is so strange. They are usually faultless. Did the pressure get to them a bit?

But, Chris can't praise them enough. He is REALLY impressed.

I was the same the first time I saw them. And I haven't stopped being impressed since!

Asaf can't stop smiling. Sofía looks more serious. But, then again, she always has taken things very seriously.

Sofía is not happy at all with the scores. Asaf is disappointed too, but is taking it better.

It's understandable. The only time they have scored lower in the SP this season was at their season debut at the Ondrej Nepela Memorial.

They still go into the lead by 3.08 points. So, it's not a disaster.

CaroLiza_fan

And finally, here is what I wrote at the end of the competition when the results table was on screen:

Awww, that was nice of Chris saying that he was disappointed that Sofía and Asaf didn't get through.

And looking at the results, they were so close to it. They were at the bottom of a tight group of 10 partnerships covered by 4.36 points that stretched all the way up to 14th position. If they had been clean, they would have been easily through.

It just goes to show how costly a couple of little mistakes can be.

CaroLiza_fan

Looking at the Protocols, there are only four negative numbers in total in their box. And all of them were Judges marks of -1 for the first two elements.

The first element, the Twizzles, got Judges marks of three -1's; two 0's; and four +1's. It also got the lowest GOE of the programme, at +0.11. Even with the mistake, this made it the third highest scoring element of the programme.

The second element, the Midline Step Sequence, got -1 from Judge 3; 0 from four Judges; +1 from three Judges; and +2 from Judge 8. It also got the second lowest GOE of the programme, at +0.45. Even with the mistake, this made it the second highest scoring element of the programme.

The third and middle element, the Partial Step Sequence, got Judges marks of four 0's; and five +1's. It also got the third highest GOE of the programme, at +0.64. As this element had the highest Base Value of the programme, this meant it remained as the highest scoring element of the programme.

The fourth and penultimate element, the Straight Line Lift, got the best Judges marks of the programme, with 0 from Judge 8; +1 from four Judges; and +2 from four Judges. It also got the second highest GOE of the programme, at +0.69. However, because this element had the second lowest Base Value of the programme, it remained as the second lowest scoring element of the programme.

The fifth and last element, the Choreographic Rhythm Sequence, got 0 from two Judges; +1 from six Judges; and +2 from Judges 5. It also got the highest GOE of the programme, at +1.29. Unfortunately, because this element had the lowest Base Value of the programme, it remained as the lowest scoring element of the programme.

In summary, there are positives to take out of every element.

Sofía and Asaf are currently 0.67 points behind 22nd position, Leia DOZZI / Pietro PAPETTI (ITA), and 1.95 points ahead of 24th position, Mária Sofia PUCHEROVÁ / Nikita LYSAK (SVK). All three of them are part of a larger group where 18 partnerships are covered by 9.34 points, stretching from Mariia HOLUBTSOVA / Kyryl BIELOBROV (UKR) in 14th position, 4.36 points ahead of Sofía and Asaf, to Arianna SASSI / Luca MORINI (CHE) in 31st position, 4.98 points behind Sofía and Asaf.

Unfortunately, with only 20 partnerships going through to the Free Drance, that means that they are out. The partnership in 24th position, Paulina RAMANAUSKAITĖ / Deividas KIZALA (LTU), are 2.72 points ahead of Sofía and Asaf.

Of course, if the same rules applied to Ice Dance as applied to Singles skating, Sofía and Asaf and the partnerships either side of them, along with Charise MATTHAEI / Max LIEBERS (DEU) in 21st position, would all be through to the Free Dance. But, alas...

It just shows how competitive Ice Dance is at the moment. That a partnership that put on a really impressive performance went out because of two little mistakes that didn't even have a negative impact on their scores. They just didn't have enough of a positive impact.

Of course they are annoyed. But, mistakes like that can happen. You just have to move forward and not dwell on it. Instead, they should focus on the positives - the rest of the programme showed everybody what they are capable of, and showed why they deserved to get the assignment.

CaroLiza_fan

Reactions: bgg

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The dust has barely settled after Europeans, but Sofía and Asaf are back in action this week at the Ephesus Cup in Izmir, Turkey.

The Senior Short Dance is due to start at 13:32:10 TRT (10:32:10 GMT / 11:32:10 CET / 13:32:10 MSK). So 4 hours from now.

Sofía and Asaf will be the 3rd partnership to start. So, third and penultimate partnership in Group 1.

The Group 1 Warm-Up is due to start at 13:32:10 TRT (10:32:10 GMT / 11:32:10 CET / 13:32:10 MSK). So 4 hours from now.

Sofía and Asaf are due to start at 13:50:20 TRT (10:50:20 GMT / 11:50:20 CET / 13:50:20 MSK). So 4h 18m from now.

More information in the event thread:
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/95828

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
SOFÍA AND ASAF WON THE SHORT DANCE!!!

Ephesus Cup Senior Short Dance: Results; Protocols

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrRA7ba-Sl0

Sofía and Asaf finished 1st out of 6 in the Short Dance, with a score of 70.89.

Thank goodnes Sofía is wearing a white blouse. Makes them easy to spot.

Ooooh. They nearly had a collision with another partnership early on in the Warm-Up.

And they had to pull out of another element when they spotted another partnership coming towards them doing twizzles.

What they did get done looked good. But, I'm sure they would have liked to get more done.

For some reason the ice was very congested during this Warm-Up. And that was despite there being 4 partnerships on the ice, rather than the 5 partnerships that we had for the Junior Warm-Ups.

CaoLiza_fan

Asaf had a bit of a stumble at the end of the Twizzles.

Did a lift get aborted, or was it part of the choreography? It was hard to tell because the camera was behind them, so we couldn't see Sofía. All we could see was Asaf's back.

Everything else looked flawless.

The audience really enjoyed it. They were really getting into it. And Sofía gave them a special thanks at the end.

Ooooh. Can't hear what they are saying (and, depending on what language they are speaking, I probably wouldn't understand anyway), but it looks like Sofía is telling Asaf off.

Kirill wisely staying out of it! :laugh:

They go into a 5 point lead. And the audence are cheering the score.

CaroLiza_fan

MORE TO FOLLOW LATER ON

Sofía and Asaf are currently 4.68 points ahead of 2nd position, Olivia OLIVER / Filip BOJANOWSKI (POL), and 5.03 points ahead of 3rd position, Lou TERREAUX / Noé PERRON (FRA).

They are in a very good position here, in the lead with a good gap behind them. But, they cannot afford to rest in their laurels. They still need to put in a good Free Dance to make sure of the title.

The Free Dance is due to start at 09:39:20 TRT (06:39:20 GMT / 07:39:20 CET / 09:39:20 MSK). So 1 hour from now.

Sofía and Asaf will be the 6th partnership to start. So, third and final partnership in Group 2 (and final partnership of the segment).

The Group 2 Warm-Up is due to start at 10:08:20 TRT (07:08:20 GMT / 08:08:20 CET / 10:08:20 MSK). So 1h 29m from now.

Sofía and Asaf are due to start at 10:29:30 TRT (07:29:30 GMT / 08:29:30 CET / 10:29:30 MSK). So 1h 50m from now.

More information in the event thread:
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/95828

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
SOFÍA AND ASAF WON THE FREE DANCE AND THE 🥇 GOLD MEDAL!!!

Ephesus Cup Senior Free Dance: Results; Protocols
Ephesus Cup Senior Ice Dance: Results

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD1Yl_II0Yw

Sofía and Asaf finished 1st out of 5 in the FD, with a score of 107.32. This meant that they remained in 1st position overall, with a score of 178.21.

Well, it is easy to spot Sofía and Asaf today, as the other partnerships are wearing black and they are wearing blue jackets.

What on Earth?!

Another partnership skated through Sofía and Asaf while they were holding hands! That could have been a disaster!

And there was another near miss later on as well.

I really hope that dirty tactics are not going on here. Trying to nobble the leaders. Because that is not Ice Dance.

CaroLiza_fan

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

I don't profess to be an expert on Ice Dance, but I didn't spot any mistakes at all. It looked flawless.

It just makes me even more sad that nobody got to see it at Europeans. Because this programme is pure magic.

I wonder what Sofía was trying to describe to Kirill with those hand signals.

Everybody holding hands for the scores being announced.

No need to worry. They win easily.

CaroLiza_fan

MORE TO FOLLOW

Sofía and Asaf finished the Free Dance 6.75 points ahead of 2nd position, Lou TERREAUX / Noé PERRON (FRA) (FRA), and 7.15 points ahead of 3rd position, Olivia OLIVER / Filip BOJANOWSKI (POL).

Overall, Sofía and Asaf finished 11.78 points ahead of 2nd position, Terreaux / Perron, and 11.83 points ahead of 3rd position, Oliver / Bojanowski.

After the disappointment of not making the Free at Europeans, this win was just the way to bounce back! Podium positions in the last four events that they did both programmes in, including two Gold Medals, really proves a point to the doubters.

CaroLiza_fan