Spin ID Thread | Golden Skate

Spin ID Thread

CDMM1991

Medalist
Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Thank you

Thank you so much for the ffort of doing this CDMM1991 - i really appreciate it.

I have a question around some more names i've heard in the past but not sure what the spin is...even a description will do:

Eggbeater Spin
(mayb i'm making this up but i'm sure i've read refernce to) Strawberry picker spin (or something like that).
Mushroom spin (i'm gussing this is the one where the free leg is pulled around behind the spinning leg and underneath teh skater's butt ...cos it looks a bit like a mushroom?).

I'll write back with any more i can think of!

Ant

Perry

Rinkside
A couple more: catch camel (or half-beillman)
illusion (http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_recog/recog_s_illusion.htm)
reverse pancake (Kimmie Meissner does this, but I can't find a picture)
twist variation of the sit (all the men do this -- http://www.skatesweden.se/Em2003_StephaneLambiel_194med.jpg)
crossfoot (I think that's the mushroom you're referring to, antnamb)
old school/ two foot crossfoot (the guys used to have to do this in short program -- it's done on two feet with the toes touching in a V position)
butt spin (http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39814000/jpg/_39814673_skate_300_245.jpg)
sideways leaning spin
headless spin
layover camel
broken leg sit

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Thanks for the thread. So...what's this?
One of Johnny Weir's many variations on his "pancake" spin (back sit spin -- he's spinning clockwise on his left foot).

Tenorguy

On the Ice
Mathman - I have the answer:

"I'm gonna wash that man right outta my hair, I'm gonna wash that man right outta my hair..."

:laugh:

I'm sorry, I'm being bad today! Tenorguy

CDMM1991

Medalist
Mathman said:
Thanks for the thread. So...what's this?

Yup that's the same spin as the one I linked to in the original post, called a pancake, just from a different angle and with a bit of a variation in the arms.

I

IcyBallerina

I've only ever head of the cannonball and pancake as switched from the videos in the original post.
At my rink, the A-Frame is invariably referred to (including by coaches) as the Butt Spin.
A "Half-Bielmann" is a regular Bielmann with only one hand grasping the blade- at my rink we would consider that a regular catchfoot. See how her arm is turned in and back instead of around and back? Granted, it is a little hard to tell with that picture, and I'm not 100% sure.
A layover camel can also be called an inverted camel.
And a sideways layback is always an attitude spin!

Ah, the joys of skating terminology!

Last edited:

CDMM1991

Medalist
IcyBallerina said:
At my rink, the A-Frame is invariably referred to (including by coaches) as the Butt Spin.

Rightfully so! The position really should be abolished. IMO the only person who can do it accurately is Emanuel Sandhu, and even then it's pretty unattractive.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Excellent resource, and thanks for providing it to those of us not FS experts.

antmanb

Record Breaker
IcyBallerina said:
And a sideways layback is always an attitude spin!

Ah, the joys of skating terminology!

It's always been my understanding than an attitude spin requires no lean of the body - its just a forward upright but with the leg in the attitdue position (the position its in for the layback).

Ant

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I enjoy the a fram because its so unexpected. If it became common place i wouldnt think it was aesthically pleasing.

what is the spin kimmie does where she puts her extended leg behind her, bends her supporting knee slightly and it looks like she is a dog chasing her tail. I like that one a lot.

Perry

Rinkside
The one Kimmie does is the reverse pancake. It doesn't have a technical name, but that's all I've ever heard it called.

lotusland

On the Ice
Sorry no photos but, here are a few more spins to add to the list:

Two-Foot Spins
Basic Two Foot Spin - usually only done by entry level skaters, simply a forward spin on 2 feet

Crossed Leg Spin - can enter from either a forward or backward one-foot spin, crossing the feet foot infront (on top) and on the ice, hard to do really well

The Kay Thompson - made famous by Kay Thompson of Canada, basically the same as the crossed leg spin but the free leg is positioned behind the standing leg and the back foot is on the ice, again, hard to do well

Pivots - a spin when done with more than one rotation, most commonly done rotating CCW, planted right toe pick either left or right, bend at knee and free foot on an inside edge revolving either to the left or right around the stationary toe pick. The LFO pivot (right toe pick stationary) is and awkward position and not often seen

One Foot Spins
Basic Upright Spin - sometimes called the "Stork Spin" for obvious reasons, either forward or backward, free leg/foot held next to standing foot, usually touching the calf

Scratch Spin - often done at the end of programs, can be either forward or backward, enter spin standing upright, free leg extended forward and toward the free side, free leg pulled in front of the body, push the free foot down across the skating leg, at the same time arms are brought in tight to the body and pushed down toward the pelvis or lifted above the head. Lots of speed, almost a blur when really well done (Liz Manley's was great!)

Headless Spin - variation on the basic scratch, gives an illusion of the head disappearing at the peak of the spin, as the spin speed increases the arms are brought to the chest then slid up to the neck with the elbows out, head tilts back to look stright up at the ceiling

Corkscrew Spin - upright spin, done either forward or backward, free foot behind the knee of the skating leg, skating knee bends slightly, extending one arm over the head and crossing the other over the chest, the skater’s body appears to twist like a corkscrew as it rotates

Attitude Spin - from the ballet position "attitude," combines the leg position of a layback with upright posture, arms positions vary

Outside Edge Camel - forward camel transition to an outside edge while spinning, generally rotates on a larger circle than inside edge camel spins

Layover Camel - variation, can be either back or forward camel, skater rotates torso upward during the spin, in the most extreme cases, both the face and chest are facing the ceiling (re: Josee Choinard)

Inverted Camel - exclusively a backward spin, more dramatic position than the layover, the inverted backward camel requires the skater to fully open the hips allowing free foot to rotate such that the toe points up, variation is to bend the elevated leg rather than keeping it outstretched (re: Josee Choinard and Nicole Bobek)

Canonball Sit Spin - also called the "Pike Sit"

Broken Leg Sit Spin - also called the "Cranston Sit Spin," can be done forward or backward, although rarely done backwards, variation of the sit spin, free leg is bent and held to the side

Flying Spins
The Hamill Camel - combination spin made famous by Dorothy Hamill, most commonly done from a flying camel entrance, then bend skating knee, without ruining camel position, then tap down freeleg and flip over into a back sit spin

Arabian Spin

Butterfly Spin

Death Drop

Traveling Spins
Normally travelling during a spin is a bad thing, however there are certain spins that are meant to travel

Traveling Camel - traveling camel looks like a basic forward camel spin that purposely moves in a wide arc across the ice, the skater executes sequential three turns alternating LFO3 and LBI3 turns to achieve the travel while maintaining the camel position, usually ending in a centered camel spin, flying camel or butterfly spin. Can also be done from a series of "stars"

Stars
Stars are a series of toe-assisted three turns performed in a camel position that travel in a wide arc, almost linearly, across the ice, usually ending in a centered camel spin, fling camel, butterfly, or arabian cartwheel

Traveling Backward Camel - unique entrance to a centered backward camel, upright turns can also be performed leading into a backward camel or other backward spin variation

The Hillary Spin - a series of upright three-turns leading into a basic back spin. For a counterclockwise skater, the sequence includes RFI3, RBO3, RFI3, RBO3,, etc., number of turns in the sequence may vary, but must conclude with a RFI3 initiating a backspin. Usually, the turning pattern forms a large circle in the center of the rink before pulling into a backward scratch spin

Barrel Turns - a forward two foot sit or squat spin done with the intention of travelling across the ice by performing the a series of rocking (heel to toe) turns while in a seated position

I'm sure there are a zillion other spins, but my brain is too tired to think of them right now. :think:

southwest wind

Rinkside
Butt down spin

Emanuel Sandhuhttp://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...r333133060.jpg

I have never liked the A frame spin AKA the butt-up spin. Here its the variation known as the butt down spin. ;)