Spin ID Thread | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Spin ID Thread

Perry

Rinkside
lotusland said:
Layover Camel - variation, can be either back or forward camel, skater rotates torso upward during the spin, in the most extreme cases, both the face and chest are facing the ceiling (re: Josee Choinard)

Inverted Camel - exclusively a backward spin, more dramatic position than the layover, the inverted backward camel requires the skater to fully open the hips allowing free foot to rotate such that the toe points up, variation is to bend the elevated leg rather than keeping it outstretched (re: Josee Choinard and Nicole Bobek)

Just a note that the only way a layover or inverted camel counts under COP is if the upper body is rotated a full 180 degrees.

Perry

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
I like closing a performance with a terrific scratch spin. It tells it all about spinning for me.

Joe
I think that's probably my #1 least favorite thing about COP -- you can't end with a scratch spin! My coach always had us end with a scratch spin (and as a result, all of her students have incredibly good ones), and it seems odd to end my program now by contorting into a thousand positions.

Perry said:
I think that's probably my #1 least favorite thing about COP -- you can't end with a scratch spin! My coach always had us end with a scratch spin (and as a result, all of her students have incredibly good ones), and it seems odd to end my program now by contorting into a thousand positions.
Amen! Fumie ended her Worlds LP with one. It was the best ending of the contest. :rock:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Amen! Fumie ended her Worlds LP with one. It was the best ending of the contest. :rock:

Yes she did - and it really stood out because every other skater limped to the end of their program with wimpy little back upright spins having had to change edges and positions to make the spin count.

Did you see Lambiel's spins in the exhibition? He spins forever and a day - but under CoP we will never see fast centred spins with 20+ revolutions anymore because its not worth it anymore....they might as well stop teching kids to centre spins for the worth it is once you start chanigng edges and positions.

Ant

CDMM1991

Medalist
MsLutzy said:
Not sure how to call these, but they're variations of the sit spin, I suppose?

Kimmie Meissner

Tomas Verner

Johnny Weir

Johnny Weir

Jeffrey Buttle

This looks funny. Is it a spin?
Viktor Pfeifer

Kimmie's is a Thompson sit. Not sure what you would call Tomas', maybe just a catchfoot sit? Johnny's are both pancakes, as is Jeff's. And :laugh: I salute any one who could spin in THAT position. My guess is he's in the process of grabbing his goot for something, that's not the final position.