Spin Positions: Questions, Creativity, Levels, Unique-ness | Golden Skate

Spin Positions: Questions, Creativity, Levels, Unique-ness

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Hi guys!
*A Twitter user mentioned how they wished the short program spins were an opportunity for more creativity because so many ladies do the same or greatly similar positions. Is this due to base value? Do the rules slightly skew towards sameness? Gotta admit, it's a bit tiring to know all the time that after the layback comes the haircutter then the beilmann, one skater after another, and often it's not effortlessly done...

*When people on Twitter mention the technical names of spins (I love her flying sit! Ugh, I don't care for that forward illusion! Nice illusion into the...whatever! ) I struggle to understand what is what, and how many points a position gets, etc. Video -learning has always been best for me. Can someone please explain the positions?

gkelly

Record Breaker
In addition, there will always be less room for creativity in the short program than in the freeskate because of the required elements.

For senior women, for example, the short program requires a flying spin in one position with no change of foot, a solo spin in one position (different from the flying spin position) with no change of foot, and a combination spin with one change of foot and at least two changes of position.

The freeskate rules are a bit looser:
A spin in one position (may fly, may change feet)
A flying spin (may change feet, may change position)
A combination spin (may fly, may change feet)

The codes of the three spins need to be different from each other.

To get the highest base values in the freeskate, many skaters choose to do a flying combination spin as the flying spin along with a non-flying combo spin, and then a one-position spin that is likely to be flying sitspin or layback. They could change feet in the one-position spin if they can get more features that way. You may also see combo spins with more than one change of foot in the freeskate.

Other skaters stick closer to the short program requirements for their freeskate spins -- the SP rules will satisfy the FS rules, but not necessarily vice versa. Some skaters might use the exact same spins for both programs, to save on practice time devoted to spins.