State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17 | Page 44 | Golden Skate

State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was trying to be nice. Michelle was nowhere near as good as Maria and IMO, she should not have even made the final flight. I'm not into being mean, but let's a have look at Michelle's SP from 1999 Worlds. By the way, the BESP guys do mention that Michelle was not feeling well and discussed it before her performance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta04kTVj2DU

I wasn't arguing with you, just pointing out that one reason her Ariane program at Worlds was not as good as it was World Pro--and I do not disagree with that--was that she was sick. You responded that her short program had a mistake. That had nothing to do with the her Ariane program. Now you say she shouldn't have made the final flight. That has even less to do with her Ariane program! You diverted the issue. That's all I was saying.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Looks like Mirai is back to her old self, full of self-confidence and enjoying herself once again!! I am a HUGE FAN, not sure if any of you saw this post....3A, look out!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLMeQVbh2mV/

It's good to see her trying to add a jump, but I wish her coach would do more to address the under rotation problem. She fully rotated only 2 of her 7 triples in the LP last week after a sensational SP. She leaves far too many points on the table with that issue, much more than a successful 3A would add.

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
It's good to see her trying to add a jump, but I wish her coach would do more to address the under rotation problem. She fully rotated only 2 of her 7 triples in the LP last week after a sensational SP. She leaves far too many points on the table with that issue, much more than a successful 3A would add.

Great point and fully agree!! <s have been her kryptonite and she has really built a bad reputation because of it! She is just such a lovely skater and for me, a joy to watch! When she won Sr Nationals at like 14 y.o. I thought we were in for a lifetime of Mirai worship, unfortunately, some things just don't work out. But what can we say, she has the talent and just keeps fighting and to see her have success recently is so wonderful, she truly deserves it!! And heck, doing all of this while going back to school at the same time, my hats off to her!! She should be very proud of herself!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Great point and fully agree!! <s have been her kryptonite and she has really built a bad reputation because of it! She is just such a lovely skater and for me, a joy to watch! When she won Sr Nationals at like 14 y.o. I thought we were in for a lifetime of Mirai worship, unfortunately, some things just don't work out. But what can we say, she has the talent and just keeps fighting and to see her have success recently is so wonderful, she truly deserves it!! And heck, doing all of this while going back to school at the same time, my hats off to her!! She should be very proud of herself!

I was surprised at how strong she looked in her SP. I doubted whether she could show that form after several years missing the world team but she did. Hopefully it is the start of big improvements in store and not just one good program.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

But a UR 3a is the holy grail of ladies UR jumping. :)

frida80

Record Breaker

First, I doubt she's going to at her 3A this season. It takes six months to a year from the first time you land the jump for it to be ready for competition. So maybe next season while she becomes more consistent.

As for her long last week, she just posed a huge personal best. She let the pressure get to her head. I think Tom will help her get her mind in order so she can really nail it at Skate Canada.

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
I was surprised at how strong she looked in her SP. I doubted whether she could show that form after several years missing the world team but she did. Hopefully it is the start of big improvements in store and not just one good program.

I hope so TOO, we can all use a little Mirai Nagasu motivation this year! And at 23, she is running out of time so if she's going to do it, 2017/18 may be the time to do it - and I think there's some type of competition in PyeongChang just around the corner too :):) I always love it when athletes have the option of walking away when they are at the top of their respective sports, always makes for a special and rewarding close to a lifetime of hard work, dedication and commitment.

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
I get the sense that Gracie, like Sasha, enjoys the celebrity, enjoys training and enjoys being in the mix for big titles, but doesn't like competing all that much. It might be that she and Ashley are in very different situations; when Ashley makes a mistake, she knows that she needs to go back to train harder the element she made an error on. For example, when she missed the closing lutz in her Nationals LP, her coach said it was because she didn't train it hard enough. She then nailed the jump at Worlds. With Gracie, none of her errors are from being undertrained or having to overcome poor technique so, as a coach, I don't know how one would help her improve after a disappointing performance.

Wonderful observation. I saw someone write earlier that Gracie is or seems to be a perfectionist and behaviorally, she demonstrates those characteristics. If this is the case (and her obsessiveness with social media leads me to believe it is), there is nothing a coach can say or do - she knows what she needs to do, the question is does she have the mental strength and discipline to do it. Gracie works diligently when on the ice, she wants everything to be perfect but when things don't go the way she thinks or wants them to go, she shuts down (she has innate abilities and is used to things coming easy to her) - pure perfectionist behavior! This past week we saw that when she fell, the rest of the program was ok but she was not giving it her all, she was frustrated with herself and by not giving the rest of the program 100% she was justifying to herself earning a lower score. Fixing this can only come from her and her alone.

Ashley, on the other hand, she is a fighter and wants to win and accepts failure is the road to success. She feeds off of the competition, wanting to win each and every time. If she doesn't and is told something is wrong, she wants to go back to practice and work twice as hard so to shut everyone up. Kind of like Tonya Harding, she hated being the "poor" gal and compared to "beautiful, rich" Nancy and this anger, this desire to beat everyone as a result is what led her to get her 3A and have the success she had.

Two different personalities and two different roads taken, but very similar results in the long-run.

desertskates

Medalist
Finally just catching up on all the action after after a weekend with no internet (yeah, there are still outages like that in today's world--mind numbing). Watched what I could on the phone here and there. All the ladies at JO looked great with the exception of Gracie. I really, truly hope this was just something minor like a head cold, and there's not more to it. I think the program could be lovely if skated without mistakes. Probably my favorite long I've seen out of her. I would like to see her ditch the white dress, it just fades into the ice and seems to wash her out, especially as a blonde. I think Ashley's program looks great, there's so much improvement in her spins. And Mirai's on fire! Unless we see Polina make a quick return from her injury, I think Mirai will easily be the US number 3 lady. I'll be anxious to see what Bradie and Tyler have to offer up this year, too.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm not a huge fan, but where is Polina Edmunds? Is she taking the season off?

At last world's, she mentioned something about a foot injury. This month, she just got back into skating, so the injury is still bothering her a little bit

Polina has been recovering from injury -- but she has been skating (at least on a limited basis) for months.

She has given no indication that she is taking the season off.
She has discussed her new programs, actively participated in Champs Camp, etc.

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I wonder if we'll see Mirai adding 3A to either of her programs this season :scratch2: I agree though first, she needs to do her ususal tech content well. Like Liza Tuktamysheva in 2014/15, then 3A would make a visible difference :)