Suggestions for Rachael | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Suggestions for Rachael

gio

Medalist
Are the rounded shoulders really determinant in PCS? Posture should be marked, but not the rounded shoulders (which if you have them, you can still hide it a little bit with correct posture ;))

It's not her fault if she has this physical shape (I mean the rounded shoulders). I've heard that it's impossible to correct the rounded shoulders at her age.

So, as the commentators said that in Ice Dance height matters for the male partner, which is completely unfair, it's equally unfair to mark down a skater for rounded shoulders.

I agree to improve the posture (that should be marked), but not the rounded shoulders itself.

I mean, it's like marking down a skater if she/he is not beautiful, or has a big nose.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
Maybe take some cues from Bebe Liang? I think Bebe's choice of music is great for her slightly stockier body type.

What, you mean when the TUBA came on? That was just ... what were they thinking??

Bebe hasn't really ever had a great season, so I don't think it's a good idea to emulate her... I only suggested Emily cause she was practically national champ 2 years ago. Also, Rachael isn't stocky, she's just not the ballerina type. Maybe she just needs to find her own style...

She needs to find her own look. I feel as though she's a Doris Day trying to be a Grace Kelly. Girl next door:
[
ETA: P.S., I like Doris Day a lot better than Grace Kelly, so that's not a put-down! (See On Moonlight Bay.)
Grace was hardly a girl next door. Doris was. But I don't understand why some people are forced to decide who or what or where is better. I liked them both, and I like Rachael, and all the other starlets in figure skating too.

Grace was hardly a girl next door. Doris was.
That's what I meant.
But I don't understand why some people are forced to decide who or what or where is better. I liked them both, and I like Rachael, and all the other starlets in figure skating too.
Sure. My only point was that one can't BE both at once, and Rachael looks more like the girl-next-door type (IMHO).

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
First, wear black--maybe with long sleeves. Second, wear a more dramatic makeup, to go with the black. Third, maybe leave the hair partially down, as in a half ponytail?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
First, wear black--maybe with long sleeves. Second, wear a more dramatic makeup, to go with the black. Third, maybe leave the hair partially down, as in a half ponytail?

I love the first idea....except for the hair down. that is what she was doing and she looks a lot better with a bun, exp. a low bun. she should skate to B's 5th.

She'd look great in black, with that fair complexion.

gio

Medalist
My suggestions for next season. Maybe it is better to use overused music, since it's an Olympic year. ;)

SP = Dark Eyes, Malaguena, Another Cha Cha, Sing Sing Sing, The Feeling Begins, Take Five, Danse Macabre
LP = Carmina Burana, Polovetsian Dances, Czardas, last year Khokhlova/Novitski FD music, maybe even Tosca or Turandot and who knows she won't be a bad Carmen either.

Last edited:

Ginask8s

On the Ice
Are the rounded shoulders really determinant in PCS? Posture should be marked, but not the rounded shoulders (which if you have them, you can still hide it a little bit with correct posture ;))

It's not her fault if she has this physical shape (I mean the rounded shoulders). I've heard that it's impossible to correct the rounded shoulders at her age.

So, as the commentators said that in Ice Dance height matters for the male partner, which is completely unfair, it's equally unfair to mark down a skater for rounded shoulders.

I agree to improve the posture (that should be marked), but not the rounded shoulders itself.

I mean, it's like marking down a skater if she/he is not beautiful, or has a big nose.

I had a coach who once said skating was a bit of a beauty contest. I dont think its right, but I think he was onto something.

If you have a beautiful body with wonderful arms and legs, a long neck good extension and can jump and spin with some consistency then you have a definite advantage.( Ballet dancers really only "make it" if they have great bodies and feet and legs. )But getting back to the point of whether Rachel should be penalized for round shoulders or bad posture, unfortunately yes if someone else can do the same stuff, but look more elegant and leave a more pleasing impression on the judges. It's what they call the whole package

mandykane21

Rinkside
Didn't it seem like she had on darker make-up at Nationals? I remember thinking right before the long that I liked the make-up on her but that it didn't go with the dress (which was cool cause I'm not a big fan of that dress).

Particle Man

Match Penalty
I think Rachael should go edgy. Black and lots of eyeliner sounds great. :rock:

Ha. Goth Rachael, eh? :laugh: You know... we don't see a lot of that kind of makeup costuming. Or like... any. Is costume makeup disallowed? I do remember someone dressing up like a witch in previous years, I think it might have been in dance. I really liked it, very original I thought, but they got terrible marks.

I could easily see it being misused or being ridiculous... but it could be awesome if done really well. Maybe it's best to do it in shows though. Come to think of it, I don't even remember seeing it in shows...

oleada

Record Breaker
Angela Maxwell was vaguely Gothic...very white face, black eyeliner and a dog collar. I think she's awesome :laugh: I found her LP to be easily the most enjoyable at US ladies and she has musicality that the baby ballerinas can only dream about.

I say :rock: to those skaters who break the pwetty ice pwincess stereotype.

Binthere

On the Ice
I thought she had a terrific look at Junior Worlds last year. Of course, she is now a senior lady and next year is the 'big one'

I say 'lighten' the hair - not many leading lady blondes out there at the top of the Worlds' group. Then dress like sunshine and gold.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It's not her fault if she has this physical shape (I mean the rounded shoulders).

Presence on the ice is important. Body line and appearance is part of that.

I don't really see the point in making excuses. We are what we are. Some people simply don't have what it takes to be the best at what they want to do. If someone's fingers are too short to reach the keys of a piano correctly for a certain song, saying "it's not their fault" doesn't change the problem. It is what it is.

Exact body shape isn't particularly important to me, but I do feel like Flatt's overall aura lacks that special something which allows performers to create truly magical moments. We'll see if she can find the spark.