Surpises? | Golden Skate

Surpises?

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
I have a hunch this year's World Championships isn't just going to be hohuummm Michelle/Irina, Evgeni, and Shen and Zao win. Will there be a judging controversy? Will a new face suddenly emerge to win/medal an event?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
IMHO, that there will be a judging controversy won't be a surprise, but a given. When has there been a skating competition that has not included at least one?Also, that a new face will appear on the ladies podium (and go on to win the OGM) is not something that hasn't happened before (i.e., all OGMs since 1988 made their first appearance on the world podium the year before Olys.)

ceg15

On the Ice
Yeah..that's very interesting..I had never noticed that before! :) It could be different this time around though...I think that it's been dominated and taken in all disciplines(especially the single events):

Mens: Evgeny, Emanuel, Jeff, Brian have got it.

Ladies: Cynthia, Joannie, Michelle, Shizuka, Irina and Sasha have a tight grip!

Pairs: Xue Shen /Hongbo Zhao, Petrova/Tikhonov,Obertas/ Slavnov and you might be surpirsed-some of the canadian paris might come up like Langlois/Archetto, Marcoux/Buntin and Putnam/Wirtz are doing great aswell.

Dance: Navka/ Kostomarov, Belbin/Agosto, Denkova/Staviski, Chait/Sakhnvoski are all really strong.

Vash01

Medalist
ceg15 said:
Yeah..that's very interesting..I had never noticed that before! :) It could be different this time around though...I think that it's been dominated and taken in all disciplines(especially the single events):

Mens: Evgeny, Emanuel, Jeff, Brian have got it.

Ladies: Cynthia, Joannie, Michelle, Shizuka, Irina and Sasha have a tight grip!

Pairs: Xue Shen /Hongbo Zhao, Petrova/Tikhonov,Obertas/ Slavnov and you might be surpirsed-some of the canadian paris might come up like Langlois/Archetto, Marcoux/Buntin and Putnam/Wirtz are doing great aswell.

Dance: Navka/ Kostomarov, Belbin/Agosto, Denkova/Staviski, Chait/Sakhnvoski are all really strong.

IMO Johnny Weir deserves to be on that list, along with Plushenko, et al.

I am surprised that you consider Cynthia and Joannie having tight grips. They have yet to win a world medal. Joannie at least has an outside chance of winning a medal, if the top skaters mess up or have to withdraw due to injuries.

I don't see O&S having a tight grip either... not this year. L&A and M&B may have an outside chance, but certainly not P&W. They have potential but they are very unpolished right now.

Vash

Last edited:

ceg15

On the Ice
Yes, you're right, I had forgotten about Jonny. I don't think that Joannie and Cynthia will have a chance to medal but I'm thinking probably top 6 if they both have good skates.
For Pairs the russian and chinese are on top but I think M&B, L&A have a chance at top 5 if they skate well and P&W won't be far behind. P&T will be near the top.

Last edited:
ceg15 said:
Yes, you're right, I had forgotten about Jonny. I don't think that Joannie and Cynthia will have a chance to medal but I'm thinking probably top 6 if they both have good skates.
For Pairs the russian and chinese are on top but I think M&B, L&A have a chance at top 5 if they skate well and P&W won't be far behind. P&T will be near the top.

Ceg - After the Nats, the 4CCs and Euros, we will have a thread to have everyone list their top last 6 to skate in the LP at Worlds. And we can elaborate by adding on the Next to the last 6 and pointing out the 4 who wil make up the top 10. It will come, but not till all the prelims are over.

Joe

Ximena

Final Flight
Oh but the biggest surprise of all would be if Ilia manages to be able to skate in two months (he starts training in January) and makes it to Worlds in his city!!!

nicole_l

Final Flight
Oh but the biggest surprise of all would be if Ilia manages to be able to skate in two months (he starts training in January) and makes it to Worlds in his city!!!

That would rock to the infinity defree. :laugh:

Ximena said:
Yowser, Yowser, Yowser. That is good news if it is true. What is the source that "he starts training in January"?

IMO, he is a truly artistic skater. A rarity in Men's skating. Maybe a cooled down Lambiel and a developing Weir might reach that description in the future.

Joe

ceg15

On the Ice
ceg15, why I diddn't see T/M? They are definitely gold medal contenders
-Posted by mzheng

Sorry, I must've forgetten. Yes, T/M are gold medal contendors.

Ximena

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Yowser, Yowser, Yowser. That is good news if it is true. What is the source that "he starts training in January"?

IMO, he is a truly artistic skater. A rarity in Men's skating. Maybe a cooled down Lambiel and a developing Weir might reach that description in the future.

Joe

There is a Q&A in www.sports.ru page and most of the question were regarding to his health and he said that he is in the middle of re-hab and that he plans to start practicing in January

Thanks Ximena. That'll make the Men's event difficult to choose the 'last six to skate' prediction:

Klimkin, Evgeni, Joubert, Lindeman, Lambiel, Weir, Weiss, Sandhu, Buttle, Griazev, Tim(?), Jahnke(?), Min, VDP, and a few others, I forgot. I included a few extra Americans because their fate is in the upcoming Nats.

Joe

Last edited:

Ximena

Final Flight
If Ilia feels ready for Worlds, I guess RN will do what they did with Irina that make her have like a Test to see if she was fit for Worlds.
Although considering Russia lacks of another strong men beaside Plush (although hopefully Griazev could manegt o put it all together) Ilia could be put in the team