Takahiko Kozuka | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Takahiko Kozuka

deedee1

Record Breaker
A bit old (posted Dec 22, 2014) but a very nice column on Taka at J-Nats 2014 :) : http://sports.yahoo.co.jp/column/detail/201512200002-spnavi

This is a series of memorable moments in figure skating, which has become so popular in Japan especially since Shizuka's suprise win at Turin back in 2006, by picking up one photo at a time. The first column was about Mao at Sochi 2014 http://sports.yahoo.co.jp/column/det...1150004-spnavi, and the latest one is about Takahiko at the Nats in 2014-15 season. Apology in advance for my poor English, the below is the translation. :)

----------------------------------

写真で切り取るフィギュアの記憶(5)

選手の数だけそれぞれの物語がある。笑顔、涙、怒り……こうした表情とともにこれまで多くの名場面が生まれ てきた。
後世まで脳裏に刻んでおきたいフィギュアスケートの記憶を写真で切り取る。

One photo, one memory in figure skating [5]

There are many skaters come. There are many skaters gone. And each and every one of them has a story of her/his own. Smiles, tears, and angers.... accompanied with their emotions, we have witnessed countless outstanding performances full of their hearts. Let's pick up such memorable moments in figure skating with photos that will always and forever shine in our hearts.

「小塚崇彦 全日本選手権男子FS(2014年)」

ジャンプの着地でバランスを崩しながらも、必死に耐える。そこから代名詞の流れるようなスケーティングに移る。
小塚崇彦(トヨタ自動車)の鬼気迫る演技に思わず胸が熱くなった。前日のSPは、全日本選手権では過去2番目に悪い結果となる6位スタート。
足のケガもあり、GPシリーズでも不本意な成績に終わるなど、限界説もささやかれていた。

「練習では調子が悪くなかっただけに残念です。ただこの結果を引きずっていても仕方ないですし、もう後がないのでFSでは小塚崇彦らしい演技を見せたいです」

その決意どおり、FSで彼は攻めた。4回転ジャンプを2本入れ、あえて難度を上げた構成で挑んだ。
演技が進むにつれて疲れが見え始めたものの、決して倒れない。『イオ・チ・サロ』の情感あふれた旋律と美しいヴォーカルが、彼の滑りと見事にマッチする。
そこに限界なんて微塵も感じられなかった。終わった瞬間、彼はこれまで見せたことがないような大きなガッツポーズで喜びを表した。
FSの得点は173.29点。一気に3位まで浮上し、世界選手権の出場権も獲得した。

「自分自身でうるっとくるというか、こみ上げてくるものを抑えられなかった。本当に気持ちがよかったです。
まだできるし、まだ体も動く。気持ちもまだ切れていなかった。この結果を大事にしたいと思います」

追い込まれた男が見せた土壇場での復活劇。その魂の名演に称賛の拍手はいつまでも鳴り止まなかった。

Takahiko Kozuka, FS at Japanese Nationals 2014

In spite of losing balance on jumps here and there, Kozuka fought for its landing. Then came his characterisric floating-like skating.
I got moved by the free performance of Takahiko Kozuka, Toyota, full of his spirit and determination.
The night before, in Mens Short Program, he had the second worst start in his whole career by placing 6th at the Nationals.
Had his feet injured, disappointing results during Grand Prix series heading to Nats, etc., there was a small voice saying Is he almost done?

"I had a good feeling during my practice going into SP, so I was very disappointed with the results... But I just can't take it back now, no time to be pessimistic about it, nothing to lose, so what I have to do is give all of myself and only attack, and I want to skate a free that is of truly Takahiko Kozuka."

As promised, Kozuka attacked throughout the free skate. He upped planned elements and went for 2 quads despite injury.
As minutes passed and deep in the free skate, he obviously looked exhausted, but he was determined never to fall. Emotional music of 'Io Ci Saro' and Boccelli's beautiful voice was simply a best match with his beautiful skating. The way he skated showed not the slightest evidence of someone's who is close to a possible retirement.
At the end of his performance Kozuka held up his fists so high in triumph, which was something we never saw from him.
His FS score was 173.29. He moved up to the 3rd overall, and captured one of tickets to the World Championships.

"I was moved, too, almost on the verge of tears... I just could not hold back my emotions that came up from deep inside of me. Such an amaging moment, really, I felt so good (at the end of my free skate)!
I proved myself that I still can do it. My body still allows me to skate (like tonight's). My desire to compete is still burning. I'd like to treasure what I've accomplished tonight."

Such a dramatic come-back by the guy who was cornered to dead end. For Kozuka's performance full of his soul, the crowds reacted with never-ending standing ovations that night.

FS 'Io Ci Saro', choreo'd by Lori Nicol, at J-Nats 2013-14 season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnqHYxIp1gc

------------------------------------------------------

For me, this Free and his SP at this season's J-Nats http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3jepj0_takahiko-kozuka-2015-japanese-nationals-sp_sport will always shine in my heart. :yes:

Taka has placed 5th overall at J-Nats this season, meaning no tickets to 4CC/Worlds unfortunately... I have no idea what his future plan(s) will be; to continue competitive skating or take some time-off for study/recovery from injuries. Whatever decision he is to make, good luck to Takahiko. :)

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thank you deedee! Great read!

Hope all is well with you and Happy New Year to you and your family!

ioanna

Record Breaker

Looks like a lot of interesting information. Anyone willing to translate the main ideas?

Eric

Rinkside
[Tnx&Love] Send Farewell Message to Taka!!

Dear all,

It gives us immense pleasure to invite you to our project #THANKYOU崇彦!

It is a project launched by some volunteer fans in Japan to give our one and only figure skater, Takahiko Kozuka, a warm send-off, who will leave the ice on Apr 17th. He will be definitely missed. This will be the last chance to send our huge THANKS and LOVE to him. If you have a Twitter account, tweet along with #THANKYOU崇彦 (or #tnxtaka in case your environment does not support Japanese font.) We will convey the hash tag to him on the last day of his performance as a figure skater so that he can read them any time later.

You can join via Instagram as well.

Please visit our website for details.

Hope you join us!

from #THANKYOU TAKAHIKO PJ(Twitter ID: @thankstaka0417)

Web: http://heatup.gonna.jp/TKTaka/english/thankstaka-e.html

noskates

Record Breaker
Eric, I have neither a Twitter account or an Instagram account but would like to say thank you to Takahiko for the wonderful and entertaining programs I've enjoyed from him over the years. Can you please pass that on?

hamaguri

Record Breaker
Taka said farewell before his fans at SOI. Thank you so much for 23 years!

His Instagram:" I’m so moved but still burst out laughing at Patrick’s impact!"
Patrick is so charming!:laugh:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BES27cLrKdl/

Now he works for TOYOTA MOTOR CORP. since this April. “I’ll do my best as a businessman although it's the start from zero.”

Good luck kozu, and thank you for your wonderful performances so far.:hap10:

I never forget that memorable performance at Nationals 2014! Tears ran down my cheeks and could hardly see him live. His steps after the last jump from his whole body and soul!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj0fNfMhfaE

Last edited:

Eric

Rinkside
Eric, I have neither a Twitter account or an Instagram account but would like to say thank you to Takahiko for the wonderful and entertaining programs I've enjoyed from him over the years. Can you please pass that on?

Hi no skates,
I'm so sorry for the delay in my reply. Defenitely YES! Thanks for your perticipation:) We're still gathering messages to Taka and gotten huge amount of messages. He did his last performance yesterday in Tokyo and was incredibly loved by entire studium. So emotional moments;;

ioanna

Record Breaker
I will miss his unique skating and mastery of his blades. In a league of his own. I hope we will see him again sometime. お疲れ様でした。

deedee1

Record Breaker
Sorry for my belated 'thank-you' to Eric for all his/her time and energy in gathering and passing fans' messages to him. :thank::thank:

Taka's comments at J-SoI: http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20160417-00000175-nksports-spo

-In front of the crowds at SoI

本当に大変お世話になっております。トヨタ自動車所属からトヨタ自動車の小塚崇彦になりました。

本当に23年間、ありがとうございました。本当に楽しいスケート人生を歩めました。
そして何より、ここに一緒にいてくれるみんなと同じ時代を過ごせたのが本当にいい思い出になりました。
ありがとうございました。
先生もそうですし、両親もそうですし、何よりもファンの皆様がこれだけ応援してくれたのでここまで続けてこられたと思います。

これからは皆さんと一緒に、一ファンとしてフィギュアスケートを応援していきたいと思います。
よろしくお願いします。ありがとうございました。

"Thank you for coming and I am so glad to be here today.
Now I am officially Takahiko Kozuka of Toyota Motor Corp., not of Team Toyota anymore. [Toyota Group does support many athletes in various sports; baseball, rugby, speed/figure skating to name a few]

I thank to each of you for your great supports to me for all these 23 years. I can truly say that I've had a wonderful skating career.
And one of the most wonderful memories for me is that I could spend my competitive days with all these fellow skaters/friends who are here with me [Mao, Dai, Nobu, Akiko, Kanako were there] . So, I thank to each one of them, too. Same goes to my coaches, my parents, and most of all, I have to thank to all fans; all supports by you guys encouraged me and pushed me to go forward during my competitive career.

From today I would like to support figure skating as one of its fans myself, like you all, so please let me join you in supporting the sport.
Again thank you so much."

-After his 'farewell' performance at SoI, Taka talked to the media about how he feels:

どこまでいっても緊張するんだなというのが正直な気持ち。
緊張しながら滑って、終わって、終わったときは「ああ終わった」と息が抜けて、ふっときたものがあったが、
それ以上にお辞儀して頭を上げた瞬間にたくさんのファンの人たちが拍手をしてくれたので、それでうるっときた。
そんなに泣く方ではなかったですが、最近年も取って涙もろくなったのか、本当にこれで終わりなんだなと…。
すごく気持ち良く滑ることができて良かったです。

"To be honest with you, I still feel 'nervous' when skating in front of crowds, regardless how long I've skated or how deep I've been in the sport.
I've skated the program while feeling nervous, as usual. When it was over, 'now it's over' I thought. I got myself off from tension and I felt emotional a bit. I took a bow to the crowds after my performance as susual, and looked up to face them. All the crowds cheered with their claps for me one last time, and that was when I got so emotional and on the verge of my tears.
I believe I'm not one of the kind who tends to cry in public all my life, but because I got older, I am more easily get moved to tears, probably. 'It's over for me, it's over finally', I thought again. I skated my last skate with all my heart and enjoyed every bit of it, that's for sure, so I am very much satisfied with it."

Last edited:

Eric

Rinkside
Sorry for my belated 'thank-you' to Eric for all his/her time and energy in gathering and passing fans' messages to him. :thank::thank:

Hi deedee1, we also want to say 'thank-you' to all of you for being willing to join us. We couldnt've achieved it without kind support from each of you. So, thank-you&thank-you!!:)

Last edited: