Tara Considers Herself An Actress Now | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Tara Considers Herself An Actress Now

R.D.

Record Breaker
Off the actress topic. I think Tara may make a good Hollywood reporter if she wants to.

A Hollywood REPORTER...Now what makes you think she'd be so good at that? Good minds would like you to elaborate...

gezando

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
A Hollywood REPORTER...Now what makes you think she'd be so good at that? ...

I think she will be a good reporter, got the impression after reading her journal for years, Tara is very articulate in her journal, she is from Sugarland, a Houston suburb? Have you ever read her journal. Why Hollywood? since she already started in the show biz. Of course if Tara decides to stay away from Hollywood, I still think she may make a killing in Wall Street.

R.D.

Record Breaker
gezando said:
I think she will be a good reporter, got the impression after reading her journal for years, Tara is very articulate in her journal, she is from Sugarland, a Houston suburb? Have you ever read her journal. Why Hollywood? since she already started in the show biz. Of course if Tara decides to stay away from Hollywood, I still think she may make a killing in Wall Street.

She very well may be (I don't read her journal) but how do you know that she writes her own journal entries? In other words, how do you know she doesn't have an editor or the webmaster look over it before it's posted? Just living up to my custom title :laugh:

Sugar Land is a suburb of Houston- I believe it's on the far southwest side of town.

I think Tara WANTS to be in Hollywood- have you looked at her photo gallery (not on her official site but Tararulz.com)? She's been to SO MANY movie premieres, etc. I think she enjoys that red carpet :laugh: nothing wrong with that, but still...

gezando

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
She very well may be (I don't read her journal) but how do you know that she writes her own journal entries? In other words, how do you know she doesn't have an editor or the webmaster look over it before it's posted? Just living up to my custom title :laugh:

Sugar Land is a suburb of Houston- I believe it's on the far southwest side of town.

Tara is a hometown girl, and you don't find time to read her journal? So you are selective about whose journal to read?

I guess no one can rule out that she does not hire an editor, but she started writing a journal at 13 or 14, it is a good chronicle of her growth ( I doubt Tara hired an editor at that young age) . She used to talk about her dog, then as she grows her topics changed, and she has always been articulate

Last edited:
ITA with Tara making a good entertainment reporter, I'd say more on-camera than as a writer, but that's only because even though I agree she's articulate in her journal (I'll assume Tara writes it), writing an article is a whole different endeavor.

I also agree that Tara enjoys the Hollywood scene and since I don't see her having much of a career as an actor, I can see her doing well as an entertainment reporter, which, BTW, is where a number of female and male actors go when their acting careers stagnate--except for rock singer Mark McGrath. What a hoot to see him going from being a "nasty boy" singing Howard Stern's "Psychedelic Bee" to having the reserved, cool persona on "Access Hollywood" or whichever show he's on.

I also thought Tara was always very good during live interviews as a skater. For me she thought and spoke well on her feet, came across as natural, and had good charisma. Maybe Tara should consider taking some communications or journalism courses, or go the Robin Quivers route and go to a radio school of broadcasting.

Whatever, I wish Tara the best.

Rgirl

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
She can't be any worse that Katarina Witt was this morning on the Skate America broadcast! :p

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Tara has talent

Unfortunately, everyone who wanted michelle to win takes a shot at her no matter what. She is the most bashed figure skater and so many people would still be bashing her on the net were she still an soi skater. She has as much talent as any run of the mill actress. I find dancers are often great at acting, unless they are too self conscious like Ilya was in Center Stage.

Give her a break, she can always learn a new skill, as she's got native intelligence.

IDLERACER

Medalist
I always thought she'd make a good game show host. Pleasant speaking voice, easy on the eyes. Whenever she's on the Hollywood Squares, it always looks to me like she should be sitting in the host's chair instead of a square.

orchid

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
That same quote confused me as well. I thought she retired because of her injuries? Maybe there's more to her decision than we think/ However, even if she DIDN'T win the gold medal, her hip injury would have forced her out sooner or later anyway. I think the OGM really made her into a household name. I don't know if she would have been as well-known without the OGM.

I have always believed, Tara retired immediately following the gold medal with the excuse of injuries. Had she waited one more month, Michelle would have clobbered her at the Worlds and we all would refer to Tara, as another one great-skate skater.

Actress? hahaha. Her skating is/was robotic and so is she on film.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Tara is a hometown girl, and you don't find time to read her journal? So you are selective about whose journal to read?

Gezando- are you trying to tell me that just because I'm from Houston, I should automatically be a Tara fan? Granted, I kind of was one during and after the 1998 Olympics, but after my interest died out, I basically forgot all about her. I don't really dig her all that much because I never see her skate anymore, therefore I don't read her journal (regularly that is).

About that last question- I have no idea what you're talking about. Isn't everyone "selective" to a certain point? Do you read every SINGLE skater's journal? I guess not, so you are being selective about whose journal to read, aren't you?

I don't know how Tara carries herself in interviews, hence why I'm not exactly sold on the issue of her becoming a Hollywood reporter or commentator. But hey, if Christine Brennan can do it...:laugh: Anyway, it comes down to what she wants to do...and it sounds like she's sold on acting. So as long as she sticks to her guns and improves, I believe she can make a decent living off of acting. I just hope she doesn't expect big things (which would be kind of hard for an OGM, I know, but) otherwise she'll stay bitter and dissappointed.

Bijoux- so much truth. But it's not nearly as bad here as on some other boards.

gezando

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
Gezando- are you trying to tell me that just because I'm from Houston, I should automatically be a Tara fan?
Who said you should be a Tara fan, but she is a hometown girl, and I am surprise you haven't even read one of her many journal, afterall you seem to be so into this Houston Astro thing

About that last question- I have no idea what you're talking about. Isn't everyone "selective" to a certain point?

i really don't care whose journal you religiously read, and whose journal you ignore, or whether Tara's journal generate as much curiosity in you than another skater's journal.

I wonder how Tara keeps 2 houses, she can only live in one at a time

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Who said you should be a Tara fan, but she is a hometown girl, and I am surprise you haven't even read one of her many journal, afterall you seem to be so into this Houston Astro thing

I have read a couple of her journals in the past, but I don't make it a ritual or anything.

I don't want to go too far off topic so I'll just say, "You don't understand" to your last comment.

i really don't care whose journal you religiously read, and whose journal you ignore, or whether Tara's journal generate as much curiosity in you than another skater's journal.

- I don't "religiously read" ANYONE's journal (skater or not)

- If you don't care then why are you talking about it? Sounds like there's something else going on here...;)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
orchid said:
I have always believed, Tara retired immediately following the gold medal with the excuse of injuries. Had she waited one more month, Michelle would have clobbered her at the Worlds and we all would refer to Tara, as another one great-skate skater.

Actually Tara has been a lot more that one great-skate skater. Besides Olympics she also did win US Nationals and World championships.

Jaana said:
Actually Tara has been a lot more that one great-skate skater. Besides Olympics she also did win US Nationals and World championships.
Plus, if Tara really did opt out of Worlds in 1998 because she was afraid a loss to Michelle might have "tarnished" her medal, I bet she was kicking herself when she watched the competition on television. Michelle's Lyra at 1998 Worlds was quite beatable (unlike her performance at Nationals :love: )

Mathman

Last edited:
RealtorGal said:
She can't be any worse that Katarina Witt was this morning on the Skate America broadcast! :p
You didn't like Kat? I thought she was great! :love: Plus, imagine trying to do television commentary in a foreign language. :thumbsup:

MM :)

mzheng

Record Breaker
millie said:
I am not remembering wrong.:) I can recall at that time that most of the media was on Michelle and Michelle winning. Even after Tara won, the media was on Michelle losing. I remember I was a bit pissed with the media at that time.
Yes. You are right Media was on Michelle losing. I was pissed as well, since I remember there was an article titled as "American Beat Kwan!".

Piel, I thought you were on to something in another tread that you said some of your acquaintances said "I just like American girl better." when asked why they don't like Kwan.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
You didn't like Kat? I thought she was great! :love: Plus, imagine trying to do television commentary in a foreign language. :thumbsup:

MM :)
Oh, Mathman, you probably weren't even LISTENING to her commentary! Methinks you were probably sidetracked by her big... uh... smile! Yeah, that's it... her smile. :biggrin: :rofl:

R.D.

Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
Oh, Mathman, you probably weren't even LISTENING to her commentary! Methinks you were probably sidetracked by her big... uh... smile! Yeah, that's it... her smile. :biggrin: :rofl:

:rofl:

Seriously, I did think she brought some interesting insight to their coverage. I hope they keep her. It's refreshing to hear a new voice rather than the usual Dick/Peggy, you know?

76olympics

On the Ice
Rgirl, give Mathman some credit. Her smile was rather ....hidden behind a big puffy jacket. But-Mathman may have summoned up the aid of of imagination when it comes to Kat!

orchid

On the Ice
Jaana said:

Uhhh, Michell ws injured, remember ??

Just days following the Olympics, suddenly Tara had an impaced/infected tooth. Wow, just like that ! Happened overnight. Too much to bear to compete at Worlds
:laugh: :laugh:

MM: Michelle really had no competition at Worlds.