Tara Considers Herself An Actress Now | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Tara Considers Herself An Actress Now

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm not sure what that has to do with Tara winning US Nats and Worlds?

Come on- she was able to win all three, and then she decided to part. Why all the bitterness/snarkiness continues to this day is simply beyond me...:confused:

Red Dog said:
I'm not sure what that has to do with Tara winning US Nats and Worlds?

Come on- she was able to win all three, and then she decided to part. Why all the bitterness/snarkiness continues to this day is simply beyond me...:confused:
AMEN!

havanamesa1

Rinkside
Red Dog said:
I don't know if she would have been as well-known without the OGM.

Sadly, she's not well-known even WITH the OGM (she breezed through the sport and disappeared) ... :laugh:

And as far as not wanting to be a 40-year old whatever etc. etc. (what attitude!), she will surely not like it when she turns 40 and finds herself still trying to go beyond being a wannabe-actress...

havanamesa1

Rinkside
Classy Tara

soogar said:
I've never heard Tara say anything negative about Michelle and she handles herself with class.

There were a number of articles that came out after Michelle Kwan's 'disastrous' falls in her programs in '97, in which Tara, when asked how she'd handle it should she make mistakes in her program, gave a 'well-I'm-not-like-some-skater-who-falls-apart-after-one-fall-in-a-program' response. Totally unnecessary to take a jab at her rival. Interesting thing was, even the reporters involved said so.

Last edited:

Kuchana

On the Ice
havanamesa1, I have not heard of any of that. Any links if possible? That irks me.

As for Tara and acting, I'm a little confused by how despite the fact that she attained fame (to Hollywood if you will) by her OGM, she seems to not want anything whatsoever to do with skating. And that remark about the 40 year old was totally unnecessary and a cheapshot at Witt imo.

Raising a deadhorse *sigh* for Tara's National and World wins, she definitely won by her talent but I think it was more due to Michelle falling apart.

R.D.

Record Breaker
But once again, it's not a skater's fault if her rival can't pull it together...

mzheng

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
I can't remember which year and competition it was, but there was an interview with Tara during which she said that at the time before the Olympics she didn't understand why she (her words, paraphrased) "got so much negative press and virtually no support from the USFSA."

She also said, again paraphrased, "I did everything I was supposed to. I won Nationals, I won Worlds, and at the time I thought [about the media and the USFSA] 'Why are you doing this to me?'" She also said something about being 14-15 years old and how at that age you think if you do what's expected of you, you'll get positive support for doing it.

Maybe she did not get fully support from USFSA. (It hardly believe a skater complete without USFSA support could win US Nationals.) But what they(Pat and Tara) did certainly rub the USFSA wrong way. It was reported that USFSA had refused to fund her moving trainning base that Pat Lipinsky put in the application, which they don't qualify based on their fianancial status. It was also reported that there was a USFSA promotion before or during Olympics (I don't remember exactly the time), all skaters and their family who attended the meeting rode on a charter plane, but Tara and her mother refuse to take the same chart airplane, they have to have USFS reimburse them for first classe commercial seat. etc. Also reported was Tara's quick exiting from eligable figure skating (not appearing at worlds, and some other USFSA's fluffies) after Olympics, she broken her contract with USFSA at the time, USFSA could've sue her (according to one of USFSA official), but insdead chosing not to.......

Looks like she burned all bridges link back to figure skating. Choice on not, she certainly does not want any to do with FS by now.

As for some fans view some skaters' media answer as "boring, standard, pretend", some skaters' as "honesty, geniue". Well on for others these could be described as "Polite, Well Mannered, geniue" Vs. "Rude, Lack of Manner, Bad Taste".

Last edited by a moderator:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
As for some fans view some skaters' media answer as "boring, standard, pretend", some skaters' as "honesty, geniue". Well on for others these could be described as "Polite, Well Mannered, geniue" Vs. "Rude, Lack of Manner, Bad Taste".
I don't think in Lipinski's case, those were the choices. I've never heard her come close to being rude, lacking manners, or speaking in bad taste during her competitive career. She was quite polite, but her answers seemed unrehearsed, and her delivery, including eye contact, made her appear genuine and direct. (And if she didn't mean what she was saying, she was a better actress back then than now.) She also had a grown-up voice that seemed surprising for such a small person in a sport where most of the women sound like coloratura sopranos in training.

I think she's intelligent enough to make a great interviewer and sports commentator, but even if she hadn't burned bridges with USFS, there's no way she could get away with opinions like Katarina Witt gave on the Skate America broadcast, because she would be accused of being jealous, and the moment she criticized a skater who did something she did (low jumps) or lacked something she lacked, there would be an immediate chorus of "But she didn't, she hadn't." (As if recognizing and doing were the same things, because if they were, we'd all be out there.) Just as Stojko got murdered when he said he thought Goebel's quads were underrotated, and he was accused of sour grapes.

JanJam

Rinkside
Re: Classy Tara

Hi Kuchana -- this should be one of those articles mentioned by Havanamesa1. Here's the link:

http://www.time.com/time/reports/olympics/kwan.html

A few sentences from the story:

[While she would have liked to arrive in Nagano as the U.S. ladies' champion, Lipinski is seasoned enough to put her loss behind her. "It was disappointing," she says of the dramatic fall that cost her the short program and forced her to battle back from fourth place to take the silver. "The biggest thing for me was that I made a mistake but I got up and did the rest of my program well instead of falling more and falling apart and not being able to hold it together. That felt good to me, that I could show everybody I'm not one of those skaters who fall apart after one fall." That fierce self-assessment, with its apparent reference to Kwan's spectacular fall last year, is...]

JanJam said:
That fierce self-assessment, with its apparent reference to Kwan's spectacular fall last year, is...]
...the reporter's spin. Tara's own words contain nothing objectionable, IMHO.

MM

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Mathman said:
...the reporter's spin. Tara's own words contain nothing objectionable, IMHO.

MM

Don't all reporters stand to benefit if they can create trouble? Or, is that only reserved for Christine Brennan?

JanJam

Rinkside
Re: Classy Tara

Oh, given the fact the she went around town giving statements like this, at a time when she had lost Nats to Kwan and her well-known displeasure with the press (for supposedly giving all their attention to Kwan) was at its peak, the statement was an obvious attack on her rival, apparent to readers even if reporters didn't say so. Had she ended with the statement that she was proud to have kept her program together after making mistakes (a great personal accomplishment), without dragging someone else into the pircture, she wouln't have sounded to be sour-graping, either. But then again, we have to keep in mind this was a Lipinski talking, so we can't use the same 'gracious' standards expected of other skaters. People in the skating world who dealt with the Lipinskis during Tara's brief career discovered this early enough.

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Come on she was just a kid back then. I'd like to give her a break. Was it reported that in one of competetion practice she saw MK did a 3loop/3loop in practice, she screamed "It's my jump!" her coach then Richard has to take extra effort to calm her down and explained to her no one owns a jump? LOL. You can't take this behaviour as adault seriously, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

JanJam

Rinkside
Now, that's just hilarious. But hey, people can change. I hope she has, ha ha ha!

Last edited:

millie

Medalist
mzheng said:
Come on she was just a kid back then. I'd like to give her a break. Was it reported that in one of competetion practice she saw MK did a 3loop/3loop in practice, she screamed "It's my jump!" her coach then Richard has to take extra effort to calm her down and explained to her no one owns a jump? LOL. You can't take this behaviour as adault seriously, right?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That post nearly cracked me up!!

When a child says childish things, we laugh and explain things to them.
When an adult says childish things, what do we say?:laugh: :laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yes, and it's just funny how some fans are so against her because of something she said almost 10 years ago. How old was she, like 13 or something? Apparently anyone who doesn't act like Kwan is considered "jealous" or "selfish" or whatever.

JanJam

Rinkside
Red Dog said:
Yes, and it's just funny how some fans are so against her because of something she said almost 10 years ago.

Especially if almost ten years ago was the last time fans heard anything significant from -- or about -- her, ha ha ha!

gezando

Final Flight
RD said:
I don't "religiously read" ANYONE's journal

Sure ;) :rofl:

mzheng said:
. Also reported was Tara's quick exiting from eligable figure skating (not appearing at worlds, and some other USFSA's fluffies) after Olympics, she broken her contract with USFSA at the time, USFSA could've sue her (according to one of USFSA official), but insdead chosing not to.

Technically usfs broke the contract. Their official statement was they would not make a skater do something that they do not want to. I don't think Tara was upset with usfs over the contract thing, she wanted out, they did her a favor by initiating to break the contract, Tara got what she wanted, why should she be upset?

I don't think Tara was upset with usfs at anytime in her elligible career. Usfsa was good to her, by sending her instead of Bobek to 1996 world. I don't know much about the scholarship story, but Tara was just 13 or 14 at the time, I seriously doubt $$ was on her mind, I seriously doubt a 13 y/o kid would be upset at usfs for not granting a scholarship. Mom Lipinski might be upset.

I do not remember Tara receiving any negative press prior oly 98, and definitely did not remember usfs not being supportive of her. Why would usfs not be supportive of Tara, Kwan was injured, Tara was competing in GP, and fulfilling her usfs contract at the time.
I definitely do not remember Tara complaining about doing everything she was supposed to do, and why was usfs being mean to her. There was a newsweek article in 1999 where Tara related a story of Richard Callaghan being harsh to her, and she hid in the closet and cried.

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
In an interview with IFS magazine (right after she talked about how the media was "pretty harsh" on her), she said that, coming back to the US "the media and everyone was amazing". She also said that "it is not like I left skating [for good] because I always feel like I will be a part of skating."

mzheng

Record Breaker
gezando said:
I don't think Tara was upset with usfs at anytime in her elligible career. Usfsa was good to her, by sending her instead of Bobek to 1996 world. I don't know much about the scholarship story, but Tara was just 13 or 14 at the time, I seriously doubt $$ was on her mind, I seriously doubt a 13 y/o kid would be upset at usfs for not granting a scholarship. Mom Lipinski might be upset.

I do not remember Tara receiving any negative press prior oly 98, and definitely did not remember usfs not being supportive of her. Why would usfs not be supportive of Tara, Kwan was injured, Tara was competing in GP, and fulfilling her usfs contract at the time.
I definitely do not remember Tara complaining about doing everything she was supposed to do, and why was usfs being mean to her. There was a newsweek article in 1999 where Tara related a story of Richard Callaghan being harsh to her, and she hid in the closet and cried.

Well, from the quote I was responded, she sure was sound upset with usfs.

As for Richard Callaghan being harsh to her, I dunno. But from all the reports she sure sounded like a girl always got her way (like doing 50 3loop/3loop a day, regardless Rich or Pat called it off, she just kept doing) -- Though it does not supprise me, she was the only child in family.