Tarasova and Morozov aim for top | Golden Skate

Tarasova and Morozov aim for top

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In a country where pairs figure skating is a very prestigious discipline, Russia’s Evgenia Tarasova and Vladimir Morozov are considered the number one team. They are currently the number one in Europe and aim at becoming number one in the world this upcoming season. Following the Olympic season, the team from Moscow changed coaches in the pursuit of that goal and are now working mainly with 2014 Olympic Pairs Champion Maxim Trankov.

“It was our choice,” said Morozov, 25. “We think that Maxim can give us what we need and what we want. We see prospects with him. He can give us what we are lacking for our progress. We need more creativity and ideas in the programs, some nuances in the relationship between the partners. He inputs his views and his experience, and he sees the deficits, the shortcomings that affect the overall picture for the judges and spectators.”

More...

Mozer taking half a year off.

Last edited:
I simply have to ask: Has there been any athlete who hasn't aimed for the top?

I'm not sure if I should congratulate them for getting to the crux of the matter.

Tatjana

On the Ice

I'm not sure if I should congratulate them for getting to the crux of the matter.

Surely they have aimed for the top before, but this headline is meant to express that they are trying to do that now by making a few changes (i.e. with a new coach). ;-)

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I'm excited to see what programs they will do with Trankov - their greatest weakness (and probably what lost them the podium in PC) was their programs\interpretation. It seems like they are aware of this, so good luck to them!

andromache

Record Breaker
It sounds like they know exactly what they're lacking and they think they can get it from Maxim. Good for them. Wonder if he'll wind up coaching others despite his stated lack of interest in coaching? I hope this goes well for him - Russia needs more young pairs coaches.

If Mozer is taking a break, what's going on with her other pairs during this time?

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
I'm excited to see what programs they will do with Trankov - their greatest weakness (and probably what lost them the podium in PC) was their programs\interpretation. It seems like they are aware of this, so good luck to them!

Right! They're amazing skaters but I feel like they haven't been given the opportunity to really play to their strengths. With the right material, they have the potential to be extraordinary.

Tatjana

On the Ice
It sounds like they know exactly what they're lacking and they think they can get it from Maxim. Good for them. Wonder if he'll wind up coaching others despite his stated lack of interest in coaching? I hope this goes well for him - Russia needs more young pairs coaches.

If Mozer is taking a break, what's going on with her other pairs during this time?

Maxim himself is saying that there are not enough young pair skating coaches. He said there are a some very young ones that work successfully with juniors (Artur Minchuk, Vasili Velikov come to mind), but they're still lacking experience. They do have a few younger ones, for example Juri Larionov is coaching and Vladislav Zhovnirski, Sergei Rosliakov, Pavel Sliusarenko or Stanislav Morozov are younger coaches as well.
Zhovnirski is working in Nina Mozer's school and so was Andrei Hekalo (he is older, though).

lesnar001

Record Breaker

I think it depends on the level of talent. Skaters that don't qualify for the long program at Worlds are probably just aiming to make it to the top 24 or 16, or whatever the qualification level is.

But yes - congratulations are in order to T&M because they do have the talent to get to the top! (and no more "Candyman" please)

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands

All athletes aim for their own top, but in this case of course it's the absolute top in being World and Olympic champions one day. I would enjoy a bit of rivalry with Sui and Han the coming years. Will lift both pairs up to become even better than they already are. Tarasova and Morosov just have to do a bit of catching up, not on the technical side (they're really excellent on that score already if they don't falter due to nerves), but on becoming that complete package. Including - and I suppose Maxim can help with that - becoming more innovative and lyrical in their programmes. No more Candyman-like programmes please.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I hope that this pair develops their sensitivity and relationship to each other. They tend to do best with serious classical music, but step outside of that and their weaknesses start to show a bit if the music calls for drama, love, or sass. On the other hand, perhaps they should cement the idea that they are indeed the studied, trained, astute, execution-driven pair.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
I hope that this pair develops their sensitivity and relationship to each other. They tend to do best with serious classical music, but step outside of that and their weaknesses start to show a bit if the music calls for drama, love, or sass. On the other hand, perhaps they should cement the idea that they are indeed the studied, trained, astute, execution-driven pair.

I have always preferred the old-school Russian pairs (M&D and G&G for examples) - classical music, speed across the ice, spectacular lifts, precision.

For me (just my opinion) in my 40+ years of watching skating, the only pairs that I ranked up with those Russian greats are Sui/Han & Aliona/both Robin & Bruno.

So if T&M concentrate on classical and keep striving to improve their skills and consistency - I will be very happy.

If they want to "experiment" with something "Candyman"-ish --- please do it as an exhibition.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm looking forward to seeing what T/M can do this year! :biggrin: They're my favourite pair (well aside from the Aussies, :laugh:) and I hope whatever programs they have will silence the doubters!

:cheer: I believe in them and Maxim Trankov!

Fluture

Record Breaker
They can aim for the top all they want as long as there‘s no Candyman involved, I don’t mind. :laugh:

TheBallerina

#teamtutberidze
Record Breaker
Good luck to my favourite pair! A little more interpretation-skills improvement, some programs that will suit their skating style, consistency...and their time to shine will (soon) come. :luv17:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Good luck to my favourite pair! A little more interpretation-skills improvement, some programs that will suit their skating style, consistency...and their time to shine will (soon) come. :luv17:

They have real chance to become dominating pair for the upcoming olympic cycle, a little like new Voloshar/Trankov - and with him as a coach it could be really interresting to watch them.

yqs100

On the Ice
They have real chance to become dominating pair for the upcoming olympic cycle, a little like new Voloshar/Trankov - and with him as a coach it could be really interresting to watch them.

maybe need to ask Sui/Han if they agree:)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
“It was our choice,” said Morozov, 25. “We think that Maxim can give us what we need and what we want. We see prospects with him. He can give us what we are lacking for our progress. We need more creativity and ideas in the programs, some nuances in the relationship between the partners. He inputs his views and his experience, and he sees the deficits, the shortcomings that affect the overall picture for the judges and spectators.”

I think Morozov articulated extremely well what Trankov will give them/ is already giving them. To me, this analysis seems spot on. T/M are a brilliant pair. These ideas, creativity, nuances that he speaks of can really separate them from the rest. Bring out their personalities more, highlight more of what is unique to them and their relationship.

I'm excited about this. I think it's funny how Maxim said he really didn't want to coach. Lovely that he just couldn't say no. He always is so frank!