Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov | Page 192 | Golden Skate

Tatiana Volosozhar & Maxim Trankov

kinoriH

Final Flight
Indeed! Though I'm certain Tanya trains hard (the way a dancer does), I also would credit her with having been given a natural gift. Does mere training make you able to do a split? Or lift a leg so high and just hang out, talking, with your leg practically vertical? Training helps of course, but if you don't have it, you don't have it. And they have a lot -- perfect physiques, musicality, sensitivity, beauty, athletic ability, dramatic ability, intelligence, will-power. The list could get annoying, thought maybe it's not an uncommon list needed to function at the highest levels.

you're absolutely right, but don't forget that both Tanya and Max started out as single skaters till the age of 14.(!) that's why they're so comfortable with jumping and their landings & lines are so precise. I guess Tanya was also trained to be flexible; she had 10 year (from the age of 4 till 14) to focus on her posture, strengthen her muscles and of course, work on that flexibility. The early years are very crucial for that. And doing all that without having to worry about a partner must have been easier. Both physically and mentally.

Nessie

On the Ice
you're absolutely right, but don't forget that both Tanya and Max started out as single skaters till the age of 14.(!) that's why they're so comfortable with jumping and their landings & lines are so precise. I guess Tanya was also trained to be flexible; she had 10 year (from the age of 4 till 14) to focus on her posture, strengthen her muscles and of course, work on that flexibility. The early years are very crucial for that. And doing all that without having to worry about a partner must have been easier. Both physically and mentally.

Hmm. Very interesting. Yes, their form is amazing. There was a moment when Tanya prepared for a spin. She positioned herself with such perfect balance and such care that her spin had perfect symetry and I guess could have gone on and on and on like a top. I was surprised at her methodical careful approach. It was as if she were made of glass. I thought when you were good, you could just throw yourself into a move and everything would go pretty well. But her training, maybe all training, must teach that precision is a tool without which you cannot go forward.

By the way, if any one can answer KinoriH's query about what the new rules are, that would be great. I believe they will allow vocal music -- which could be a dubious new rule. But I'm not sure about anything else....

svetik

On the Ice
Great choice -- fabulous photo! There was a moment in their practice the other day, when they were standing with a colleague, and they had been going over and over a move, when Max looked down at Tanya, smiled at her and mussed her hair -- the way an adult musses the hair of a little kid. It was so endearing. Tanya is so delicate and beautiful on the ice -- but is tough as nails. What a work ethic. She didn't stop skating the whole session except for a few moments here and there to talk about something. And when she skated over to talk to Nina once, she stood on one leg and put the other leg on top of the boards. I'm sure she can easily perform a 180 degree angle!

oh, and you're so right about the chemistry. No one equals that!

oh, that's very cute. I agree with you, Tanya is beautiful on ice,as for her work ethic, I remember Maxim saying about Tanya doing element 50 times perfectly, just to make sure she does it perfectly! Tanya is strong woman, she knows, what she wants!

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
By the way, if any one can answer KinoriH's query about what the new rules are, that would be great. I believe they will allow vocal music -- which could be a dubious new rule. But I'm not sure about anything else....

Yes, they will allow vocal music, it was decided a few years ago. There are many changes in judging system but if you want to know these ones for skating pairs, et voila :):

1) LIFTS:

a) changes in features of difficulty levels: the first 3 features (Difficult variation of the take-off and/or difficult landing variety, 1 change of hold and/or lady’s position, Difficult variation of the lady) must be significantly different from lift to lift and if similar, will only count first time executed)

b) features “change of hold/Lady’s position/rotational direction” are not awarded if change is interrupted by carry,

c) feature “one-hand-hold of the Man” is not awarded if both arms of the Lady are touching the Man,

2) STEP SEQUENCE:

a) changes of position (crossing at least three times while doing steps and turns) for at least 1/3 of the sequence, but not more than 1/2 of the sequence or
not separating at least half of the pattern (changes of holds are allowed) - it means that previous 2 features are now 1 feature,

b) two different combinations of 3 difficult turns (rockers, counters, brackets, loops, no twizzles now) executed by both partners with a clear rhythm within the sequence - it's a new feature,

3) DEATH SPIRAL:

a) change of arm hold is no longer a level feature,

b) division on first roatation and additional rotations is removed, now all full woman's rotations are the feature, counts as many times as performed,

c) change of pivot means end of an element,

d) the difficult entry position must be performed while both partners are on the entry curve and the Lady and/or the Man are moving from a difficult entry position directly and without delay to a Death Spiral position - previously, only man had to be on the entry edge and lady descending into the death spiral.

4) SIDE-BY-SIDE SPINS:

a) difficult variations (count as many times as performed with limitations) - previously: only one difficult variation in a basic position (upright, sit or camel), or - for combinations - in a non-basic position,

b) difficult change of position on the same foot,

c) difficult entrance into a spin - earlier difficult entrance was spot as backward or flying entrance, now backward is not considered as difficult entrance and flying one is difficult, only when it's really difficult :) e.g. totally sit position

d) all three basic positions preformed on the second foot,

e) both directions immediately following each other in sit or camel spin (previously: in any spin)

f) earlier 6 revolutins should be executed (without change in positions, variation of position, edge, or foot) in camel, sit, layback or difficult upright spin). Now - camel, layback, difficult variation of any basic position or for combinations only non-basic position,

g) each kind of difficult variation count only once per program (first time it is attempted),

h) for flying spins:a clear visible jump, basic landing position reached within the first 2 revs and held for 2 revs after the landing,

i) for any spin with change of foot: at least one basic position on each foot - if it's unclear: 3 basic positions on 2nd foot - that's a feature of difficuly level, what I wrote now - it's a compulsory feature to consider spin as spin :p

j) for spin combinations with change of foot: all 3 basic positions,

Sign “m1” indicates that one of these 5 requirements was not fulfilled (h, i j), the base value of a spin with a sign “m1” is approximately 70% of the original base value. Sign “m2” indicates that two or more of the 5 requirements were not fulfilled, the base value of a spin with a sign ”m2” is approximately 50% of the original base value. Previously ISU decided that signs for these mistakes would be "s" and "ss". ISU Congress changed it for "m1" and "m2".

5) PAIR SPINS:

a) 3 changes of basic positions executed by both partners (at least 2 revs in each position) are mandatory for the full base value.,

b) if partners don't perform all the 3 basic positions, combination's BV is 70% of the original BV ("a" in protocoles),

c) pair may be awarded only with one level feature for change of the positions,

6) TWIST LIFT:

a) lady’s split position (each leg at least 45° from the body axis and Lady’s legs are straight or almost straight), earlier this condition wasn't mandatory

7) JUMPS:

a) the base value of the jump with a sign < is approximately 70% of the original base value. The jump with a sign << is evaluated with SOV for the same jump one revolution less.

b) take-off edge in Flip/Lutz: signs “e” and “!” indicate an error. The base value of the jump with a sign “e” is approximately 70% of the original base value. If both signs < and “e” are applied for the same jump, the base value is approximately 50% of the original base value. Discussion will continue on calling Flip/Lutz depending on the take-off edge (not on intent - preparation to the jump, as it is now) starting with the season 2016-2017.

c) in cases of serious errors (sign “e”) the base value of the jump and the GOE are reduced, final GOE is negative. In cases of smaller errors (sign “!”) the original base value stays, the GOE is reduced, however the final GOE is not restricted,

c) jumps with less than 1,5 revolutions will have no value at all,

d) in Short Program jumps which do not satisfy the requirements (wrong number of revolutions) will have no value (e.g. if triple or quadruple jump is demanded, double jump will be valueless)

...and more changes in both single skating and ice dance :)

And I am also impressed with Tania. When she knows that she's able to win, she does everything to stay on the top. :)

Nessie

On the Ice
Wow, LittleLotte 29. We sure have the answer now! Thank you for your thorough response. I can barely follow it....!

svetik

On the Ice
I have watched a few short videos of Russian pair Davankova/ Enbert from Nina Mozer group and noticed V/T, but not much. Nessie, do you know, if Tanya and Maxim are going to do more training?

kinoriH

Final Flight
I have watched a few short videos of Russian pair Davankova/ Enbert from Nina Mozer group and noticed V/T, but not much. Nessie, do you know, if Tanya and Maxim are going to do more training?

I'd love to watch some of those vids! Do you have some links? ;)

Nessie

On the Ice

I'm almost 100% sure it was Enbert training in New Jersey, doing double-axels all over the place as if they were nothing. He's a superb skater and was working his tail off -- by himself and with his partner (whose name I didn't know until now -- thank you for that).

I just called the rink director to confirm what I knew -- that yesterday was the Russians last training day. They are indeed gone now. As for whether V and T will do any more training, I don't know. But New Jersey phase is over.

You perhaps saw Tanya's Instagram today. They were shopping at Macy's it seems. Tanya takes pretty interesting pictures, I must say. The elevator she so intelligently photographed is one of the "original" wooden elevators of this enormous (as you probably know) block-long store. I think Tanya likes to shop -- and shopping in a country you don't visit that often is really fun. I would have preferred she spend her time at Barney's or Saks, rather than Macy's but how could she know that Macy's has changed a bit? Their quality is not as good as it used to be. Anyway, maybe she got some nice things for her mother and people back home. And a doggy T-shirt that says 'New York' for Dexter...

Guess, Tanya isn't the only one shopping -- Nina Mozer came to the rink on Saturday carrying a large Bloomingdale's bag!

svetik

On the Ice
I'm almost 100% sure it was Enbert training in New Jersey, doing double-axels all over the place as if they were nothing. He's a superb skater and was working his tail off -- by himself and with his partner (whose name I didn't know until now -- thank you for that).

I just called the rink director to confirm what I knew -- that yesterday was the Russians last training day. They are indeed gone now. As for whether V and T will do any more training, I don't know. But New Jersey phase is over.

You perhaps saw Tanya's Instagram today. They were shopping at Macy's it seems. Tanya takes pretty interesting pictures, I must say. The elevator she so intelligently photographed is one of the "original" wooden elevators of this enormous (as you probably know) block-long store. I think Tanya likes to shop -- and shopping in a country you don't visit that often is really fun. I would have preferred she spend her time at Barney's or Saks, rather than Macy's but how could she know that Macy's has changed a bit? Their quality is not as good as it used to be. Anyway, maybe she got some nice things for her mother and people back home. And a doggy T-shirt that says 'New York' for Dexter...

Guess, Tanya isn't the only one shopping -- Nina Mozer came to the rink on Saturday carrying a large Bloomingdale's bag!

I think, Tanya and Maxim might be going home, I might be wrong though. Tanya wrote to one photos of Dexter on her Instagram, that she's going to see him and her sister soon, so I guess, they'd be home soon. Yes, I saw Tanya's photo from the shop, thank you for telling me about it, as I have never heard about it before.
The video is from vkontacte https://vk.com/feed?section=updates&z=video-24972370_169247780/3b16cc092f1f0c360b, I don't know, whether you will be able to watch it.

Nessie

On the Ice
I think, Tanya and Maxim might be going home, I might be wrong though. Tanya wrote to one photos of Dexter on her Instagram, that she's going to see him and her sister soon, so I guess, they'd be home soon. Yes, I saw Tanya's photo from the shop, thank you for telling me about it, as I have never heard about it before.
The video is from vkontacte https://vk.com/feed?section=updates&z=video-24972370_169247780/3b16cc092f1f0c360b, I don't know, whether you will be able to watch it.

Thanks,Svetik. No, I wasn't able to access it. Most of the time I can't get anything on VK, though one time I did. And yes, I noticed that Tanya said she'd see Dexter soon, so I think you're right.

Did you see Max changed his Instagram photo? It's a picture when he must have been about 7 years old. He's so cute! I wish he would post a picture of his father at some point. I'd be very interested to see if Max takes after him, or his mother.

Maggie

Rinkside
Thank you for the reply, HermioneG. I have been following this forum but not good at posting yet.

svetik

On the Ice
Thanks,Svetik. No, I wasn't able to access it. Most of the time I can't get anything on VK, though one time I did. And yes, I noticed that Tanya said she'd see Dexter soon, so I think you're right.

Did you see Max changed his Instagram photo? It's a picture when he must have been about 7 years old. He's so cute! I wish he would post a picture of his father at some point. I'd be very interested to see if Max takes after him, or his mother.

I am sorry, you are not able to watch the video, but it's only brief appearance of V/T. They were not skating, just standing, talking to Jury Larionov at one point, that's about all. I'm glad, Maxim has changed his cover photo on his Instagram, so it looks like they are still in NJ. Both Maxim and Tanya have put many photos on their Instagram, it's been really quiet, I wonder why.

Nessie

On the Ice
You mean you've never seen a pic of his father? here he is with Tatiana.. from 2011. https://pp.vk.me/c9549/u5561231/-6/x_01aa27b3.jpg

Thanks, KinoriH. Max's father does have that intense look in his eye, like Max, but I guess I imagined some extremely tall, dashing type, as I know his father was an equestrian of some skill. Max's father is a bit slighter than I expected and looks a few years beyond his age. So much for one's imagination...

I felt melancholy yesterday. For the past few weeks the weather in New York has been beautiful -- one sunny day after another with perfect temperatures and healthy breezes. There were 2-3 really hot days and two storms, one of which produced a sky like an El Greco painting, where the clouds were charcoal black with veins of lightning in the sky. Each day of I thought of Tanya and Max out there in New Jersey, or commuting into the city for dance lessons, shopping, sightseeing, and each day I felt grateful for the good weather they had. Now that they're probably not around any more, I haven't even looked at the weather. I don't care about it anymore. I was just happy for them that they had good fortune and New York wasn't a sticky inferno as it can be in the summer. I'm sure they miss "home" though. It's only natural.

svetik

On the Ice
Apologies, if this link has been posted http://www.wday.ru/stil-zhizny/vibor-redakcii/figurist-maksim-trankov-yarkie-momentyi-jizni/, it's old article, but i has got some photos of Maxim, one of them is his profile photo on Instagram. I have read Fedor Klimov interview on one of the Russian sites, he says, they going to Italy in two weeks time to do more training, then it'll be more training in Sochi. I wonder, if Tanya and maxim are going to do the same, but they have got 4 shows in China at the end of this month-beginning of August.